Reload this Page >

Mechanical Engineer Job Offer

Mechanical Engineer Job Offer

Old Dec 28th 2013, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

davids9317 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mechanical Engineer Job Offer

Hi all,
Sorry for this post since this type of question has been asked but i'd like to hear about my specific situation.

I'm a mechanical engineer with a bachelor degree, i have 11 years experience in industrial engineering (3.5 years post grad, 7.5 years as a tradesman in the same industry) in the UK, i consider myself pretty employable over here. I'm a 32yr old single male, no ties etc.

My dream is to live and work in the USA, i understand i'm going to need a job offer to get H1B sponsorship but i'm wondering if this is a futile endeavour; most jobs adverts state they will not sponsor expats.

Do you think i have a viable chance of getting a job offer?
Old Dec 28th 2013, 2:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mechanical Engineer Job Offer

As a single person you have a option.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Where did you run off to?
Old Dec 28th 2013, 3:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davids9317
Do you think i have a viable chance of getting a job offer?
A job offer, yes. Whether you can find an employer to sponsor your work visa is another matter. But of course you can keep pursing it...maybe you'll land something, who knows?

Rene
Old Dec 28th 2013, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

You could also look into obtaining a job in the UK office of a US-based company, and after working for them for a year, try to get transferred to the US office.

Btw, I hold a degree in Industrial Engineering, and I while I know there is some overlap with the ME field, there are definite differences between the two disciplines in the US. So it may appear odd to employers for an ME to apply for IE positions. Saying that, though, experience usually counts for more; so if all your experience is an IE type role, having an ME degree probably wouldn't be held against you. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by being a tradesman though?

I would also suggest you start networking. Often, in the US, it's more about who you know to help you get a foot in the door somewhere.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Haha!!
Old Dec 28th 2013, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
You could also look into obtaining a job in the UK office of a US-based company, and after working for them for a year, try to get transferred to the US office.

Btw, I hold a degree in Industrial Engineering, and I while I know there is some overlap with the ME field, there are definite differences between the two disciplines in the US. So it may appear odd to employers for an ME to apply for IE positions. Saying that, though, experience usually counts for more; so if all your experience is an IE type role, having an ME degree probably wouldn't be held against you. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by being a tradesman though?

I would also suggest you start networking. Often, in the US, it's more about who you know to help you get a foot in the door somewhere.
I have an ME degree and all my experience is ME based so this would be the line of work i'm looking for. By tradesman I mean a mechanical technician or fitter so could take a step down from the engineer level if this makes me more employable in the USA.

Yes i think the global company route is a good one but a bit more long winded i think….
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:40 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i think the global company route is a good one but a bit more long winded i think….
Hardly - if you landed the right role after a year you could look at it, as you have found yourself companies are not looking to spend $5k to bring in someone from abroad in your field. 1 in the hand is worth 2 in the bush and all that.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 6:53 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Haha!!
I wasn't necessarily joking. I am not the only one here on BE who would likely not be in the US were it not for an American spouse.

I don't see anything in your post, and no one else has asked, ...... do you have any experience of living in the US, are you just a theoretical dreamer? ..... There's nothing wrong with that, IMO, BTW.

Last edited by Pulaski; Dec 28th 2013 at 7:31 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Haha!!
Besides the obvious, generally someone that is single can move more easily than someone that is married and has children. This may possibly make it easier to get a company transfer since you may be able to move without all the enticing expatriate benefits that they would normally provide to someone with the needed experience that the company needs to transfer.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 7:49 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The grass is pretty green over here, but a lot of it is artificial turf or spray paint.

Regards, JEff
My dream is to live and work in the USA, ...
Old Dec 28th 2013, 7:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Not really. If you're looking for an H1B visa, the earliest an employer can file a petition right now is April 2014 for a start date in October 2014. Longer if you can't find an employer to sponsor you until after April 2014 (because then they'd have to wait until April 2015).

If you were able to find a job with an international company who has offices in the USA fairly soon, you will be eligible to transfer after only 1 year working for that company.

Rene
Old Dec 28th 2013, 8:20 pm
Just Joined

I wasn't necessarily joking. I am not the only one here on BE who would likely not be in the US were it not for an American spouse.

I don't see anything in your post, and no one else has asked, ...... do you have any experience of living in the US, are you just a theoretical dreamer? ..... There's nothing wrong with that, IMO, BTW.
The spouse option; wouldn't i need to be living in the US to find one hence need a job etc anyway?

Yes i must admit my experience of america comes from my gut, heart and research but as an adventure and a life goal it can't be that wrong….
Old Dec 28th 2013, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for you info by the way guys!
Old Dec 28th 2013, 8:31 pm

The spouse option; wouldn't i need to be living in the US to find one ....
Nope. Online dating recognises no frontiers. ..... It worked for me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.