Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Meaningless expresions

Meaningless expresions

Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:45 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Meaningless expresions

How many of you get irratated by the bland, meaningless expressions used by Americans?
I particually hate:
When checking out at a store the clerk asks "Did you find everything OK?" replying "no" is always good for a laugh.
And of course the fav. "Have a nice day" said with all the sincerity of ...something with no sincerity at all.
And when leaving a store the clerk calls "Come back". One day I will imediatally do just that just to see how it confuses them :-)
Rob
Old Feb 8th 2005, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Meaningless expresions

Whatever......I could care less
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:04 pm

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

The one that kills me is:

Yank: How ya doing?

Me: Good thank you, how are you?

Yank: Good, how are you?

Hello...WTF??????
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:26 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I work in collections and every time A customer calls their first words are, 'hi, how are you?' They dont care and dont even give time to answer so why ask?? Irritating.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by callë
Yes, I work in collections and every time A customer calls their first words are, 'hi, how are you?' They dont care and dont even give time to answer so why ask?? Irritating.

Oh how true.

and all they are looking for if you are given the time to answer is "good" - they don't remotely care how you are at all. People who actually reply honestly are given this strange - "what the hell are you saying" look.

Dreadful.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Lilywolf is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
Oh how true.

and all they are looking for if you are given the time to answer is "good" - they don't remotely care how you are at all. People who actually reply honestly are given this strange - "what the hell are you saying" look.

Dreadful.
Kinda reminds me of how in London you get asked "Good week-end?" on a Monday morning and don't wait for an answer before asking for what it is they really want.
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:21 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Meaningless expresions

I'd just purchased some stuff in Expo today (a posher version of the 'Home Depot' and operated by them).

The cashier said as I was leaving...."Have a Good One"

I always want to say "Have a Good One What?"

It's a very common expresssion in New Jersey, do people say it elsewhere?
Old Feb 8th 2005, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to find they like to have the last word in any exchange, carrying it on one more than a British conversation. For example, they say "thanks" you say "thanks", they say "you're welcome". They say "bye", you say "bye", they say "Have a nice day".
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:51 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I tend to find they like to have the last word in any exchange, carrying it on one more than a British conversation. For example, they say "thanks" you say "thanks", they say "you're welcome". They say "bye", you say "bye", they say "Have a nice day".
Come on, get with the program. You're supposed to say "No, YOU have a nice day!"

- you obviously didn't attend cotillion!
Old Feb 8th 2005, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Come on, get with the program. You're supposed to say "No, YOU have a nice day!"

- you obviously didn't attend cotillion!
Hehe, no chance of me stringing it on even longer, because all that would achieve is round 2: "No, you have a nice day". "No really, you have a nice day!". Sometimes I have tried, but even then, it continues, Uhuh at least has to come back. Well, if they want the last word, let em I say!
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:02 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
How many of you get irratated by the bland, meaningless expressions used by Americans?
I particually hate:
When checking out at a store the clerk asks "Did you find everything OK?" replying "no" is always good for a laugh.
And of course the fav. "Have a nice day" said with all the sincerity of ...something with no sincerity at all.
And when leaving a store the clerk calls "Come back". One day I will imediatally do just that just to see how it confuses them :-)
Rob

I can speak to seveal of these-I cashiered at Kroger's as a part time job-during the training process we are told to ask if the customer found everything okay. We are also told to invite the customer to come back and see us.
You may find it needless and mechanical and maybe it is, but these people are just doing their job.........
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:25 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'd just purchased some stuff in Expo today (a posher version of the 'Home Depot' and operated by them).

The cashier said as I was leaving...."Have a Good One"

I always want to say "Have a Good One What?"

It's a very common expresssion in New Jersey, do people say it elsewhere?

Yeah in Pennsylvania I get 'have a good one' too. Also the hicks in PA will say 'Yip-pers!" instead of yes. Most bizarre. I wonder if this is redneck code for anything or if they're developing their own language, maybe its just native to PA. Weird.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:41 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahUK
Yeah in Pennsylvania I get 'have a good one' too. Also the hicks in PA will say 'Yip-pers!" instead of yes. Most bizarre. I wonder if this is redneck code for anything or if they're developing their own language, maybe its just native to PA. Weird.

It might be midwestern thing, my ex used it occasionally.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Outside of the United Kingdom there are other countries. In these countries, words and phrases exist that are different from those used in the United Kingdom, but which have similar meaning.

"How are you?"
This is a salutation. It is appropriate to respond with "fine," or to simply repeat the question by way of response. Its basis is in the more formal "how do you do," to which etiquette demands a response of "how do you do."

"Did you find everything 'ok'?"
This is a question. The appropriate response is to say "yes," if you did find everything ok. If you didn't find everything you needed, the appropriate response is to say "no," and then say what you were looking for. What will then occur is that someone will go and get what you need.

"Have a Good one"
This isn informal and friendly salutation. "One" refers either to a unit of time, like "day" or "evening," or an event.

"Yippers"
This is a colloquial and friendly alternative to "yes." It is often said with an inflection and sometimes a smile.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 2:00 am
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Outside of the United Kingdom there are other countries. In these countries, words and phrases exist that are different from those used in the United Kingdom, but which have similar meaning.

"How are you?"
This is a salutation. It is appropriate to respond with "fine," or to simply repeat the question by way of response. Its basis is in the more formal "how do you do," to which etiquette demands a response of "how do you do."

"Did you find everything 'ok'?"
This is a question. The appropriate response is to say "yes," if you did find everything ok. If you didn't find everything you needed, the appropriate response is to say "no," and then say what you were looking for. What will then occur is that someone will go and get what you need.

"Have a Good one"
This isn informal and friendly salutation. "One" refers either to a unit of time, like "day" or "evening," or an event.

"Yippers"
This is a colloquial and friendly alternative to "yes." It is often said with an inflection and sometimes a smile.

Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.