Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Meaningless expresions

Meaningless expresions

Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: Meaningless expresions

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I dont mind being asked questions at the check out because I find that if you strike up a conversation the check out person is usually more than happy to stop with their usual patter. (You certainly notice the difference when you visit the UK)

I was in a fine dining restaurant recently with my friends and we found the waiter really annoying, he approached us too many times asking if everything was okay, he actually interupted us on more than one occsion. He even topped up our water when it really didnt need doing and leaned across me, so I again had to stop what I was saying to my friends. The thing is I know he was trying to give outstanding service but I ended up feeling a little frustrated. Obviously I didnt say anything being British.
Agreed on the constant in-meal harrassment at restaurants. I hate that.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 10:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Agreed on the constant in-meal harrassment at restaurants. I hate that.
talking about that the other day with the in-laws, they said they never even noticed it until I mentioned it, but then after a holiday in the UK, they noticed the behaviour and thought it really annoying now too *lol*
one thing if the place is really busy at dinner time, but it takes the mick when the place is empty or there isn't a queue to get in...
Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:28 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Outside of the United Kingdom there are other countries. In these countries, words and phrases exist that are different from those used in the United Kingdom, but which have similar meaning.

"How are you?"
This is a salutation. It is appropriate to respond with "fine," or to simply repeat the question by way of response. Its basis is in the more formal "how do you do," to which etiquette demands a response of "how do you do."

"Did you find everything 'ok'?"
This is a question. The appropriate response is to say "yes," if you did find everything ok. If you didn't find everything you needed, the appropriate response is to say "no," and then say what you were looking for. What will then occur is that someone will go and get what you need.

"Have a Good one"
This isn informal and friendly salutation. "One" refers either to a unit of time, like "day" or "evening," or an event.

"Yippers"
This is a colloquial and friendly alternative to "yes." It is often said with an inflection and sometimes a smile.

Thanks for that. It amazes me that people are actually complaining because people acknowledge their presence and -- *gasp!* -- are polite to them.

And to those of you who may say the "How are you?" and "Have a nice day" comments aren't sincere, then just accept that this is part of American culture. And while for many people it's just automatic to say such things, at least it isn't rudeness.

~ Jenney
Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Can you translate the question and response into British English please?

Thanks,

NC Penguin
Well, I lived there for 7 years and I never heard any sensible explanation of what it means.

I *think* the greeting ("What it is"?) is a bit similar in meaning to "What's happening?", "What's new(s)?", "What's going on?", "What are you saying?", which a lot of US-based expats have presumably heard at some time or other, and none of which really make much sense.

Also, my *guess* is that the response ("Right here") may mean something along the lines of "I'm doing fine", or "Things are OK with me".

The fact the greeting/etc were said in a Bahamian accent "Wuzz 'appnin?", "Rah tyeer" makes the whole thing a bit confusing when you first hear it.
Old Feb 9th 2005, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Paint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to all

Actually, it's a big mistake to ever admit that you didn't find what you were looking for in the grocery store. If you do, you are destined to be trapped there for the next 30 minutes while your extremely helpful store assistant goes on a wild goose chase for a tub of fromage frais.....the fact that he/she has never heard of the stuff will not put them off as they start looking for it in the cleaning aisle

Paint.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 12:28 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paint
Actually, it's a big mistake to ever admit that you didn't find what you were looking for in the grocery store. If you do, you are destined to be trapped there for the next 30 minutes while your extremely helpful store assistant goes on a wild goose chase for a tub of fromage frais.....the fact that he/she has never heard of the stuff will not put them off as they start looking for it in the cleaning aisle

Paint.
Hahaha! Like the time I asked for Xmas crackers they took me to the Ritz biscuits!