Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Me has bought a house!!!

Me has bought a house!!!

Old Jun 9th 2004, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 7:38 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Me has bought a house!!!

Originally posted by Henry George
Be a man and move to the city. Dumbass!
nice, no more of that please.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:01 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
nice, no more of that please.
If you think you're a man in Michigan, go move to Detroit!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 8:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
If you think you're a man in Michigan, go move to Detroit!
Then I would be a dumbass.....
Old Jun 11th 2004, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all

We love Chicago, and so will you. Suburbs are great if you're like me with a young family. If I was single - now that's a different story, but swap places -------------------------- NEVER !!
Comon England !!!

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
So nearly 2 years to the day of arriving here in USA me and the wife have bought a house in the Chicagoland area, yipee no more apartment living for me!!!

Getting a morgage...... no problem!!!
Old Jun 12th 2004, 2:16 pm
Brit'n'TX

Originally posted by Ben
Congratulations to those who have recently purchased a home. Enjoy the tax benefits you get 'cause you certainly can't get them in the UK anymore.

We bought our American home 18 months after arriving here and love it, love where it is, love the neighbours and love the school district. Hope you are as luck as we have been
We bought a house here about 11 months ago, after having been here for a year - after the stupid prices in the UK I was amazed at what you can get for your money here in Central Texas.

I was interested in your comment about the tax benefits - just what are they and how do you get them? I can remember hearing something about "homesteads", but forgot to follow up on it.

Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

larallen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by elfman
Yesterday I handed over the downpayment check for the house the Mrs and I are buying - 18 months and 5 days after moving to the US. It's in Mount Tabor, NJ and is actually more of a cottage than a house - built in 1878 and v cosy.

No more apartment living and no more sodding rent. Our mortgage payment, insurance, property tax AND major commuting costs (ie wife's monthly train and ferry passes) added together will be less than the rent we pay at the moment.

Will miss Hoboken but strangely looking forward to life in the burbs. Feels good getting on the property ladder but at the same time a bit daunting - we never bought anywhere in Britain.
hi, just as a matter or curiosity how much did you pay....we are living in michigan we would like to move to chicago....we went for a visit and we love it there...bye ...mad
Old Jul 11th 2004, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Brit'n'TX
We bought a house here about 11 months ago, after having been here for a year - after the stupid prices in the UK I was amazed at what you can get for your money here in Central Texas.

I was interested in your comment about the tax benefits - just what are they and how do you get them? I can remember hearing something about "homesteads", but forgot to follow up on it.

If you mean Homestead Exemption- you should claim it as soon as possible. Here in FL, Homestead exemption is worth about $500 a year off your property taxes. You can claim it on your permanent residence and it reduces the taxable value of your home by $25,000. You only have to fill in the forms once and you automatically get it every year you own the house. Find your local property appraisers office for details on how to claim.

Tax benefits - with a mortgage you can start itemizing on your tax return instead of taking your standard deduction. All the mortgage interest you've paid for the year plus property taxes normally take you well over your standard deduction. And itemizing allows you to claim other miscellaneous deductions such as charity donations (which includes the fair market value of anything you give to goodwill etc), medical and dental, job expenses etc etc. It often means a sizeable refund. It's the biggest tax break out there, which is why I don't understand some expats who come out here and buy houses outright. People here don't pay their mortgages off for this reason.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Congrats to all those that have recently bought their homes here. Just wondering why it took you all so long to do it.

We moved in to our first home 5 weeks after arriving. The first week we arrived, I was straight down to the brokers and sorted out a loan. Best move we ever made.

Cheers
Old Jul 12th 2004, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by larallen
hi, just as a matter or curiosity how much did you pay....we are living in michigan we would like to move to chicago....we went for a visit and we love it there...bye ...mad
We paid $495,000 for a 4 bed 3 bath, but you can find all kinds of prices here, just like most cities.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We paid $495,000 for a 4 bed 3 bath,
Wow
:scared: :scared: :scared:

Well sticker shock me. Anyway, congrats and hopefully it will be us soon. Renting sucks big time and I miss my own house.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Henry George is an unknown quantity at this point

We paid $495,000 for a 4 bed 3 bath, but you can find all kinds of prices here, just like most cities.

Huh! I bought a 3 bed 2 bath for $175,000!!! You were ripped off dumbass!
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:50 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your new home BIO Very happy for ya.

Juliet
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Henry George
Huh! I bought a 3 bed 2 bath for $175,000!!! You were ripped off dumbass!
Oh dear, he put his signature in the wrong place again. I suppose patience is a virtue. Mr Dumbass (I'm assuming Henry George and Dumbass are synonymous) Perhaps next time you write you'll get it right.