Me? An Expat? Advice needed!!

Me? An Expat? Advice needed!!

Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:02 pm
dkb
Just Joined

dkb is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Me? An Expat? Advice needed!!

Hi,

My company sprung a surprise on me a couple months ago. Offered me a promotion across the pond. I seriously didn't ever consider that I would ever be an expat, but here i go.

I'm moving to NY at the end of the month and working in CT. But I know nothing about the city and am rotating between being terrified and excited. I need to be close to Grand Central for the commute to CT, but I don't know where is good/affordable to live. Any suggestions/advice/tips would be greatly appreciated (also is there anywhere that sells Fruli!!)

Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Me? An Expat? Advice needed!!

Originally Posted by dkb
Hi,

My company sprung a surprise on me a couple months ago. Offered me a promotion across the pond. I seriously didn't ever consider that I would ever be an expat, but here i go.

I'm moving to NY at the end of the month and working in CT. But I know nothing about the city and am rotating between being terrified and excited. I need to be close to Grand Central for the commute to CT, but I don't know where is good/affordable to live. Any suggestions/advice/tips would be greatly appreciated (also is there anywhere that sells Fruli!!)

Hello and welcome to BE.

Why don't you find somewhere to live in CT...within easy commuting distance to where you will be working?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:08 pm
dkb
Just Joined

Hi!

I considered it, Stamford is a lovely place, but everyone I talked to told me to move to NY, purely for the experience/social life offered.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dkb
Hi!

I considered it, Stamford is a lovely place, but everyone I talked to told me to move to NY, purely for the experience/social life offered.
Unfortunately, that advice is in direct conflict with your desire for somewhere "affordable".

It is like looking for a flat in central London so you can commute out to Milton Keynes.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:36 pm
dkb
Just Joined

Originally Posted by md95065
Unfortunately, that advice is in direct conflict with your desire for somewhere "affordable".

It is like looking for a flat in central London so you can commute out to Milton Keynes.
How about "affordable for NY"?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dkb
Hi,

What's Fruli?

NYC is an acquired taste. I don't mind visiting, but I'm not sure I could live there; I find Manhattan to be noisy, crowded, and grimy. Bear in mind that if you live in NYC there's a city income tax you will be required to pay.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dkb
How about "affordable for NY"?
Might be helpful if you gave people an idea of what you will be earning or what you will have to spend on accommodation - that will help them suggest areas that will suit. What you consider affordable may be very different to somebody else!

I can't help I'm afraid as I've never lived there - had a cousin that did the opposite to you though, lived in Ridgefield CT and commuted to NYC for 3 years! I'm not a city person at all but have loved NY on the few times I've visited there.

Best of luck!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The commute will suck goat and you'll get sick of it quick...live in CT, it's expensive, just like NY and the petrol blows...but it means you'll have NY as a weekend get away.
Old Jul 15th 2008, 2:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Just been watching a program on HGTV...average NYC 1 bed apartment rent is $2K. I've no idea how old the program is.