Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mattress sizes!!! Any Help?

Mattress sizes!!! Any Help?

Old May 21st 2014, 5:14 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mattress sizes!!! Any Help?

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne
I have just built the two single beds we brought over from the UK for my two sons who are visiting this summer, we did not bring the mattresses as we though we would get new ones over here.

But can I find a mattress to fit!!? There are single beds and I just need a 3ft by 6ft mattress but can't find any that size, nearest I have found is a 37 and 3/8" from Ikea but that will be over the sides of the beds.

Anyone offer any advice or help? Don't want to pay for custom made. Just wish we had bought them in UK before leaving.
Call your Mother and have her send the mattresses over, that she is keeping in the attic in case you return with your tail between your legs.
Old May 22nd 2014, 12:47 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I think the biggest mistake you can make when moving to the US or Canada is to not bring your bed with you. I always think the quality of beds in N America is appalling compared to Europe, thank God for Ikea is all I can say (who somehow seem to be able to make decent mattresses in Mexico).

To move abroad and then not be able to sleep is a pretty good definition of torture.
Old May 22nd 2014, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

pipsi is an unknown quantity at this point

If you only need them for visiting guests, have you considered buying air mattresses, the type often used for camping? When I last moved in the UK I decided to replace the mattress on my ikea bed (5ft6inch wide) for about a week after I first moved in I was using a double air mattress on my bed. Ok it wasn't as comfortable as my memory foam mattress but did the job in the meantime. I still use the air mattress from time to time for visitors and while camping.
Old May 22nd 2014, 11:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I think the biggest mistake you can make when moving to the US or Canada is to not bring your bed with you. I always think the quality of beds in N America is appalling compared to Europe, .......
I disagree, though good quality mattresses in the US are very expensive. We bought a Stearns & Foster mattress when we came over and it is great and much better than our British king sized bed, which we still have. Unfortunately now Stearns & Foster only make that strange American abomination, the "pillow top" mattress, so we can't buy a replacement of the same brand.
Old May 22nd 2014, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Mattress sizes!!! Any Help?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I disagree, though good quality mattresses in the US are very expensive. We bought a Stearns & Foster mattress when we came over and it is great and much better than our British king sized bed, which we still have. Unfortunately now Stearns & Foster only make that strange American abomination, the "pillow top" mattress, so we can't buy a replacement of the same brand.
We have a superb Slumberland mattress here, but given I had major back use issues for a week after getting the bugger upstairs, there's a lot to be said for leaving it....
Old May 23rd 2014, 6:46 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pipsi
If you only need them for visiting guests, have you considered buying air mattresses,
Young guests. Without back problems.
Old May 23rd 2014, 6:53 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We bought a Stearns & Foster mattress when we came over and it is great and much better than our British king sized bed, which we still have. Unfortunately now Stearns & Foster only make that strange American abomination, the "pillow top" mattress, so we can't buy a replacement of the same brand.
Took me nine attempts on one occasion: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683397

Haven't actually tried Stearns & Foster, it was next on my list at Sleep Country but I gave up and went to Ikea.

I think one key point that people often miss is that beds are hard to move so they tend to be made in a plant not that far away, so a Simmons or Serta etc. mattress in one part of the country is a very different thing to what it might be somewhere else.

The big problem is the use of polyester, you've got to be mental to put polyester in a mattress, at least on any part of it you will be lying on.
Old May 26th 2014, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

pipsi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_
Young guests. Without back problems.
I assumed when the OP stated his sons were visiting that they weren't elderly visitors. It's a short fix, and as you say, more suited to the younger guest.