Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Marrying Someone From Belfast

Marrying Someone From Belfast

Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

eggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura abouteggie has a spectacular aura about
Default Marrying Someone From Belfast

The man I love was just sent back to Belfast (his visitors visa renewal was denied). He has applied for a Green Card but we have not heard anything yet. We would like to marry but I am a single mother and full time student. We are getting mixed reports about if I would have to prove financial support in order for us to marry? Can he show bank records and prove he can support himself for 90 days and that suffice in order for us to get a Fiance Visa? Does anyone know if we marry in Belfast if I have to have an Affidavit of Support after marriage? Any advise would be wonderful. We have looked into a work visa and a student visa and neither of those will work.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:26 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying Someone From Belfast

Originally Posted by eggie
The man I love was just sent back to Belfast (his visitors visa renewal was denied). He has applied for a Green Card but we have not heard anything yet. We would like to marry but I am a single mother and full time student. We are getting mixed reports about if I would have to prove financial support in order for us to marry? Can he show bank records and prove he can support himself for 90 days and that suffice in order for us to get a Fiance Visa? Does anyone know if we marry in Belfast if I have to have an Affidavit of Support after marriage? Any advise would be wonderful. We have looked into a work visa and a student visa and neither of those will work.
Why didn't he just fly back home (before his visitors visa expired) and then come back to the States? Wouldn't that have given you another 3 months to work with?
I don't know if marrying him, then getting him back over and applying for AOS will cause any alarm bells to go off or not within the BCIS.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

I would post this is the US Marriage Visa section of the forum. Would get better responses probably.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 5:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Confused,

You have much research to do.

Questions:
Did he arrive on a VWP or B1/2?
Did he overstay this? If so, how long?
How was he sent back? Did he go on his own or was he pushed?
What is more important: to live in the US or the UK?
Old Jan 10th 2006, 6:39 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever happens I'm afraid that it won't happen quickly. Have you considered moving over there for a while - Belfast is a very nice spot you know.

Good luck
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Find a new Boyfriend ...instate preferred .. losing battle going on there
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:12 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
To be fair to the girl ray, its worth making the extra effort if the bloke is from Belfast
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

He cannot sponsor himself initially on K1 Visa (I think after 6 months its ok). You would have to sponsor him, though if you do not meet the salary requirement you can do a joint sponsor (s). Not to be depressing or anything but your looking at a year process minimum, speaking from experience. ...
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:22 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I don't know if marrying him, then getting him back over and applying for AOS will cause any alarm bells to go off or not within the BCIS.
Bad move - definite intent at POE and no guarantee that this wouldn't come up at the AOS interview.

P.S. It's USCIS - has been for a lil while now.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:24 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MrDub
He cannot sponsor himself initially on K1 Visa (I think after 6 months its ok)...
Not necessarily true - some Embassies will allow a K1 applicant to self-sponsor. Best to get in touch with the Embassy themselves to find out on this score.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 9:18 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray

I'm free....ish!!!