Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Margaret Thatcher

Wikiposts

Margaret Thatcher

Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Margaret Thatcher

I saw a newspaper picture from the political campaign
A woman was kissing a child, who was obviously in pain
She spills with compassion, as that young child's
face in her hands she grips
Can you imagine all that greed and avarice
coming down on that child's lips

Well I hope I don't die too soon
I pray the Lord my soul to save
Oh I'll be a good boy, I'm trying so hard to behave
Because there's one thing I know, I'd like to live
long enough to savour
That's when they finally put you in the ground
I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down

When England was the whore of the world
Margaret was her madam
And the future looked as bright and as clear as
the black tarmacadam
Well I hope that she sleeps well at night, isn't
haunted by every tiny detail
'Cos when she held that lovely face in her hands
all she thought of was betrayal

And now the cynical ones say that it all ends the same in the long run
Try telling that to the desperate father who just squeezed the life from his
only son
And how it's only voices in your head and dreams you never dreamt
Try telling him the subtle difference between justice and contempt
Try telling me she isn't angry with this pitiful discontent
When they flaunt it in your face as you line up for punishment
And then expect you to say "Thank you" straighten up, look proud and pleased
Because you've only got the symptoms, you haven't got the whole disease
Just like a schoolboy, whose head's like a tin-can
filled up with dreams then poured down the drain
Try telling that to the boys on both sides, being blown to bits or beaten and
maimed
Who takes all the glory and none of the shame

Well I hope you live long now, I pray the Lord your soul to keep
I think I'll be going before we fold our arms and start to weep
I never thought for a moment that human life could be so cheap
'Cos when they finally put you in the ground
They'll stand there laughing and tramp the dirt down

...me, I'm with Elvis on this one....
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:36 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

As for helping working mothers - she did it all on her own didn't she, so why can't everyone? Another famous quote about women always having made their "own arrangements" for childcare, and they can bloody well continue to do so... (Someone remind me, wasn't she married to a millionaire?)
:scared: :scared:
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:40 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moosetreker
She defeated Galtieri and Scargill so if there were nothing else we should be thankful.
Actually both she and Galtieri found the war quite useful - distract the populace from economic problems with a good old flag-waving war. Hardly likely that Galtieri invaded for a few sheep-infested rocks, now is it? And the Baroness won an election on the back of it.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:47 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Actually both she and Galtieri found the war quite useful - distract the populace from economic problems with a good old flag-waving war. Hardly likely that Galtieri invaded for a few sheep-infested rocks, now is it? And the Baroness won an election on the back of it.

Whenever I think of that time, and that war, I see Simon Weston's face in front of me. That and Col. H Jones' widow hectoring at the Conservative Party Conference (or was she just being used?)

What a pointless, obscene war!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:58 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Whenever I think of that time, and that war, I see Simon Weston's face in front of me. That and Col. H Jones' widow hectoring at the Conservative Party Conference (or was she just being used?)

What a pointless, obscene war!

Yup. And all those shivering, badly-armed Argentinian teenagers that Galtieri sent to do his dirty work. Pointless waste of life all round.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:06 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. And all those shivering, badly-armed Argentinian teenagers that Galtieri sent to do his dirty work. Pointless waste of life all round.

OMG this reminds me of another thing!

"Rejoice! Rejoice!!"

Sickening

(NB: Whatever happened to that lady - what was her name - who skewered the bitch on that TV 'meet the public' programme? You know who I mean...)
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:08 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike Galtieri, who went to prison... don't think he found that particularly useful
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Unlike Galtieri, who went to prison... don't think he found that particularly useful
Well yes but that was later. He started the war for distraction purposes.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:19 am

OMG this reminds me of another thing!

"Rejoice! Rejoice!!"

Sickening

(NB: Whatever happened to that lady - what was her name - who skewered the bitch on that TV 'meet the public' programme? You know who I mean...)

From the Beeb.

"Rejoice, rejoice, Mrs Thatcher told the nation during an impromptu press conference in Downing Street when South Georgia was recaptured by the UK after it and the Falklands had been invaded by Argentina. The words were also uttered by her long-time enemy former Prime Minister Edward Heath when he heard that Mrs Thatcher had been deposed in 1990. Except that he said it three times."
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

From the Beeb.

"Rejoice, rejoice, Mrs Thatcher told the nation during an impromptu press conference in Downing Street when South Georgia was recaptured by the UK after it and the Falklands had been invaded by Argentina. The words were also uttered by her long-time enemy former Prime Minister Edward Heath when he heard that Mrs Thatcher had been deposed in 1990. Except that he said it three times."

Did she say it 4 times when Morning cloud died ?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:29 am
Homebody

From the Beeb.

Diana Gould was her name (the lady who skewered Mrs T) - wasn't she from Cheltenham?

More tenatious than Jeremy Paxman - just wouldn't let go. But Thatcher still won the election...
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:32 am

Diana Gould was her name - wasn't she from Cheltenham?

More tenatious than Jeremy Paxman - just wouldn't let go. But Thatcher still won the election...
Can't remember, sorry.

Thatcher's power base was in the south (obviously) where the service-based economy was doing all right, and where the population is proportionately much more represented - northern electoral districts were, and I supppose are, much bigger.

As the Tom Paxton song goes, just a tad cynically,

"Our leaders are the finest men
And we elect them again and again"
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:39 am
Homebody

Can't remember, sorry.
To refresh your memory (you'll remember - unless you were still in nappies at the time ):

"During the 1983 general election campaign, Diana Gould, of Cheltenham, seized the chance to quiz Mrs Thatcher on the issue during a live question and answer session on BBC TV's Nationwide.

Mrs Thatcher was visibly rattled by the grilling, although it seemed not to harm her re-election campaign."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/813118.stm
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:44 am

To refresh your memory (you'll remember - unless you were still in nappies at the time ):

"During the 1983 general election campaign, Diana Gould, of Cheltenham, seized the chance to quiz Mrs Thatcher on the issue during a live question and answer session on BBC TV's Nationwide.

Mrs Thatcher was visibly rattled by the grilling, although it seemed not to harm her re-election campaign."

Ah, right, got it. No, I wasn't in nappies - more like in hiding.
I was in New York.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:47 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

For those who want to relive the moment:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/low/...00/2480241.stm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.