Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Margaret Thatcher

Wikiposts

Margaret Thatcher

Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Margaret Thatcher

Originally Posted by Ray
God bless that wonderful women ...
Your kind of pinup, eh?

Celsius
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:56 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
God bless that wonderful women ...

She made the trains run on time!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:04 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
She got rid of the psuedo commies like scargill and red robbo ....
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:07 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Damn...... I was ready to cheer
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:16 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
She got rid of the psuedo commies like scargill and red robbo ....
not to mention the fact that she nearly brought the NHS down to its knees.

13 years after her downfall the country is still trying to put right the damage she caused!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:19 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
not to mention the fact that she nearly brought the NHS down to its knees.
13 years after her downfall the country is still trying to put right the damage she caused!
well anything was better than in the labor gov of 1979
Remember the winter of discontent ...
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:22 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
When she dies I may drink a toast with a bottle of free milk
Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

She polarized the country. A lot of people loved her, and a lot loathed her.

She was in power during my school years, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to politics at that point (still don't pay that much attention now ).

I would say on balance she was probably responsible for the modernization of the UK. Privatising a bunch of government run industries was probably the right thing to do in hindsight - but it was a painful process.

Her modernization of the financial services industry has indirectly cost me. I was one of the mugs who went for an endowment policy (which could be used as collateral for a mortgage). However this too has taught me a valuable lesson - to look after my own investments and not blindly hand them over to some "expert" investment company.

I'm a great believer in a balance. I believe in an environment where entrepreneurs should have the freedom to set up and run businesses. I also believe in unions, which look out for the rights of workers from overzealous businesses. But if the balance swings too far in favour of either side, you're asking for trouble.

I also believe in a system of government that provides a safety net. The UK has done a remarkable job with this in terms of the welfare state and the NHS in my opinion. There are always going to be those in society that, through no fault of their own, cannot be regular contributors (I'm thinking mentally handicapped, physically handicapped etc) and we as a society have a duty to provide for them. However, there are always going to be those that abuse such systems, and they need to be stopped.

Of course now I live and work in the US, where there is hardly any safety net and I can be fired from my job with no notice ("at will" they call it) and there is no union to speak of in my profession.

I do find the US a bit of an oxymoron - they are much more geared toward the entrepreneurial spirit than the UK, but then you have something like the auto workers unions, which seem to wield an awful lot of control over that industry.

Originally Posted by izibear
Anyone care to explain to me, a non-Brit, why y'all detest her so much?

I'm not for/against her, just curious.

Last edited by kevntrace; Aug 26th 2005 at 5:50 am.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:27 am

Pigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant futurePigtails has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=kevntrace]

Of course now I live and work in the US, where there is hardly any safety net and I can be fired from my job with no notice ("at will" they call it) and there is no union to speak of in my profession.

QUOTE]

You can't be fired without notice in the UK?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
You'll have to remind me of that one ... old man.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe so, unless the company goes out of business (e.g. Rover Group)

[QUOTE=Pigtails]
Originally Posted by kevntrace

QUOTE]

Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:38 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Pigtails]
Originally Posted by kevntrace

QUOTE]

Not unless you do something that contravenes your contract. Even then it is not straightforward, but has to be preceded by verbal warnings, written warnings etc.

Workers can be made redundant, i.e. if their jobs are abolished (viz Rover), but this is not the same as being sacked, i.e. you would get a severance package/redundancy pay.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK this is similar in all EU countries.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:39 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
She sold the trains for tuppence to her cronies.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Not unless you do something that contravenes your contract. Even then it is not straightforward, but has to be preceded by verbal warnings, written warnings etc.

Workers can be made redundant, i.e. if their jobs are abolished (viz Rover), but this is not the same as being sacked, i.e. you would get a severance package/redundancy pay.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK this is similar in all EU countries.
I think its even more strict in some European countries.

Most contracts that our company uses include a gross misconduct clause which allows them to fire you without warning if you do something really wrong; other than that I think its 2 verbal warnings, 1 written [final] warning and then you get fired.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:42 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
She sold the trains for tuppence to her cronies.
Yep -- don't think she liked the railways much. But I believe it was actually threepence halpenny she got for it after clouting them with her handbag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.