Wikiposts

Manners?

Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:52 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manners?

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Conform to what Partystar? Did you not read my post above? Or can't you read dear?
I reply as I go down the comments, I can't wait until I get to the bottom of the thread to do it, cuz it would never happen, I have a son & have to look after him in between reading posts! Oh & I think it's perfectly obvious that I can read...& write for that matter!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:53 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I suppose I've got used to spelling it that way. Do I have to spell it the American way now that I'm in America? As soon as I stopped living in the UK, do I revert back to being the American that left all those years ago? Do you think you could go back to the UK and be the same person you were before you left? I'm pretty curious about that last sentence. Would be very interested to know indeed.

Not only that, but my daughter is pronouncing words with a decidely British accent, like her father's. Do you think I should be anal and make her say it the American way? In the long run, does it really make a big difference, either way?
I would be the same person. Just with new and interesting experiences and memories. I feel no need to change who I am to "fit in" somewhere. I tend to use British spellings at work and most people now know I do so dont bother commenting anymore.

So im more curious that you felt it neccesary to stop being the American when you moved to Britain rather than revert when you came back.

But anyway I was just being idly anal in pointing out the spelling.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:58 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Or can't you read dear?
Not only not nice ... but very rude ...
Old Oct 18th 2005, 2:59 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I tend to use British spellings at work and most people now know I do so dont bother commenting anymore.

my aren't you the subborn one, I reckon I've truely converted into an American, words spelling expressions etc..it just makes life easier I got tried of repeting myself, now it's just become second nature ...actually i feel more comfortable with american words than british ones...can't remember the last time I said ARSE instead of ASS
Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:04 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I though Americans spelt Humor without the U

Alright just call me anally rententive. I dont care.
Are we required to use the American spelling? FFS.....

Maybe I'll just write in Spanish or Dutch from now on. No wait.... if I did that, I might be accused of being a European wannabe.

You can tell that a discussion is being dragged through the dregs when people start slugging it out over spelling.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:09 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Are we required to use the American spelling? FFS.....

Maybe I'll just write in Spanish or Dutch from now on. No wait.... if I did that, I might be accused of being a European wannabe.

You can tell that a discussion is being dragged through the dregs when people start slugging it out over spelling.
Yes you are.

I dont think I was slugging anything out. Just being anally retentive in an idle moment. I even said so.

But since you wanted it here it is: The big problem with yanks is they are so bloody uptight and unable to accept an off the cuff comment even in with a qualifying self derogatory statement immediatelly following it. Not all but most.

PS I know of two Americans on here that dont fit the above.

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Oct 18th 2005 at 3:18 am.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:13 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

But since you wanted it here it is: The big problem with yanks is they are so bloody uptight and unable to accept an off the cuff comment even in with a qualifying self derogatory statement immediatelly following it. Not all but most.
If yours were the only comment regarding Americans using British spelling, then yeah, I'd laugh it off. But there was syllk's last week, and the others that have added up over time.

The previous rounds have gone roughly like this:

Brit: "You don't speak English. You don't spell correctly."

American, in refreshing exchange from replying "up yours": "Okay, I'll use your spelling when I write to you."

Brit: "You're weird. You're American, you're supposed to use the American spelling."

Now, if I were convinced that these exchanges were based in humo(u)r then yeah, I'd laugh it off. But I don't think it is. It's a can't win situation and eventually I tire of being the butt of the same old lame joke.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are.

I dont think I was slugging anything out. Just being anally retentive in an idle moment. I even said so.

As I have found, not all but CERTAINLY most.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:15 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
Not only not nice ... but very rude ...

AmerLisa, everyone's friend and interfering neighbour, rude? Never!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by snowbunny
If yours were the only comment regarding Americans using British spelling, then yeah, I'd laugh it off. But there was syllk's last week, and the others that have added up over time.

The previous rounds have gone roughly like this:

Brit: "You don't speak English. You don't spell correctly."

American, in refreshing exchange from replying "up yours": "Okay, I'll use your spelling when I write to you."

Brit: "You're weird. You're American, you're supposed to use the American spelling."

Now, if I were convinced that these exchanges were based in humo(u)r then yeah, I'd laugh it off. But I don't think it is. It's a can't win situation and eventually I tire of being the butt of the same old lame joke.

Ok now count up all the posts where someone makes a comment on a Brit posters spellings and or punctuation.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:53 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the thread where Rushman was perverted?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Leslie66
No. Now stop being so literal and lighten up will you?
Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:57 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leslie66
slag
Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:57 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

No. Now stop being so literal and lighten up will you?
Listen here, good budgie. I have decided to launch a full investigation into Rushman's secret sexual deviant lifestyle that I've completely fabricated. I would APPRECIATE a little help people!!
Old Oct 18th 2005, 3:58 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Eskimo
slag
boy toy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.