Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Manchester Airport Car Hire

Manchester Airport Car Hire

Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manchester Airport Car Hire

Originally Posted by Ray
National car and alamo appear to be the same now .. was same office in south london.. I got the basic auto ..thought I was getting a Puegot 307
but got a little mercedes A class with a turbodiesel ..

They have been the same company for quite a while now - but they trade as seperate brands still!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:34 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manchester Airport Car Hire

Originally Posted by Big D
I use Hertz or Avis from both Manchester and Gatwick - and have been happy with both - they have been the cheapest recently for me of the 'big boys' I have steered away from the smaller operations such as 1car1 so have no experience of them. Avis has been cheapest recently and they usually have automatics. The only annoying thing is that they estimate the cost and it works out higher with the premium site taxes - but not by much. Use a US card with insurance and decline theirs and the prices are pretty good - I had a peugeot 307 convertible for 3 days for less than 100 GBP. I would buy the fuel from them as it is usually a good deal cheaper. And you pick up and drop off at terminal so there is no messing around with buses!!

Avis have also started guaranteeing the make and model you select at certain airports which is good if you are picky!
Going from their own websites, using MAN:

Hertz were so expensive that I did not even bother writing down the numbers. I just checked again and they want £514 PLUS an unknown amount for an additional driver and PLUS an unknown amount for Insurance for an automatic Focus.

AVIS showed no automatics in their list of vehicles. However, checking again tonigyht they say they have a Focus automatic for £444 PLUS insurance.

1car1 shows an Astra automatic at £325 inclusive plus £40 for a 2nd driver for 2 weeks = £365. You can halve the excess to £250 for another £40.

It's hard to justify using either AVIS or Hertz.

The only web site I have been to which shows you actual final amounts is 1car1. Both Hertz and AVIS say that final amounts for things like 2nd drivers and insurance options will be determined at the desk on taking the car.