Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mail opening

Mail opening

Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:48 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mail opening

Originally Posted by rushman
No not in London. Just numerous bombing and killings of innocent people by terrorists (partly financed by US citizens) well before and a lot longer than one day in Sept
The US hasn't had that problem ... so for the USA it is somewhat unusual - that's the point I am making. For the USA it was a real shock.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:49 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
The US is in a post 9-11 era with foreign groups in communication with people in the USA with intent to plan attacks on US soil. This is not a conventional situation.
It's a totally conventional situation. The paranoid US reaction to it is the unconventional part.

1/ You're just as safe or unsafe at home with your family as you were before.
2/ Your chances of dying from terrorist action on US soil are just the same as they were before -- bugger all!
3/ Your chances of dying because you drive to McD's in your car every night and eat 2 Big Macs and a large fries washed down with a milkshake are what should really concern you.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's a totally conventional situation. The paranoid US reaction to it is the unconventional part.

2/ Your chances of dying from terrorist action on US soil are just the same as they were before -- bugger all!
3/ Your chances of dying because you drive to McD's in your car every night and eat 2 Big Macs and a large fries washed down with a milkshake are what should really concern you.
I'm still wondering how opening mail or unwarranted snooping on USCs would have helped catch the 9/11 suspects before they commited the act.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:51 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Tried to Karma. F'kin hilarious mate!!!
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:54 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
OK, which means your first reply wasn't relevant to my post

Well regardless.... these agencies need flexibility to operate, but I don't agree with and will never agree with blanket surveillance.
... and if you read my posts you will read that I am against blanket surveillance ... but just in case ... there is no point to blanket surveillance, it would be intrusive, it would be a waste of resources, it would be unethical, it would be unconstitutional, it would be over-reaching, it would be detrimental to the US's own interests, it would not be in keeping with American's view of themselves as essentially an open democratic society, it would be disastrous, it would be fatal to the USA, it would destroy the USA, it would be plain wrong.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:55 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still wondering how opening mail or unwarranted snooping on USCs would have helped catch the 9/11 suspects before they commited the act.
Typical US reaction - just look at the mess that is the Patriot Act.
Like making someone present 17 pieces of id to open a bank account is going to stop them launching a suicide attack if they are so inclined.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 11:59 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

OK, which means your first reply wasn't relevant to my post
Arguing with Franklin/Patent Attorney usually leads to plenty of , shortly followed by , and most often completing with
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

... and if you read my posts you will read that I am against blanket surveillance
You never actually mentioned it until now
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Arguing with Franklin/Patent Attorney usually leads to plenty of , shortly followed by , and most often completing with
Ohhhh noooo never.

I knew he'd be back at somepoint.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:07 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

You never actually mentioned it until now
Well, you say I don't read your posts ... seems you are not reading mine. But again for you, I don't agree with blanket surveillance full stop. Blanket surveillance would be a catastrophic mistake.
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, you say I don't read your posts ... seems you are not reading mine. But again for you, I don't agree with blanket surveillance full stop. Blanket surveillance would be a catastrophic mistake.
Oh please
Old Jan 10th 2006, 12:11 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Enter Fatbrit stage left, sneaking a political comment in
Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:47 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, although it's usually a diet coke, cuz that really helps keep the calories down!!!
Old Jan 11th 2006, 4:58 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

All the right checks were in place on 9/11. It could have been prevented if everyone had done their jobs correctly. For whatever reason, it was allowed to happen.

All the little games and point scoring going on now is about politics and job security, like the laughable airline restrictions which have just been relaxed
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Partystar
Agreed, although it's usually a diet coke, cuz that really helps keep the calories down!!!
To be fair, a diet coke keeps a Big Mac meal under 1000 calories.....

Lol....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.