Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lost my Mum today.

Lost my Mum today.

Old Sep 24th 2018, 5:13 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost my Mum today.

It must be in the air. My Gran passed away this morning back home too.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 5:49 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Sorry to hear your news too CS.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 6:40 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Condolences, I think family members passing is one of the main heartaches to expat life.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

​​​​​​Sorry about your gran. Condolences to you and your family, civilservant.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Condolences, Luke.

Thank you for all the kind comments, everyone. It's very much appreciated.

I like Bevs' idea of holding a memorial of my own at the time, so long as I can find out when it is. I've had nothing apart from that original Facebook message so far. I't going to cost in the region of $5000 to go back (bereavement flights run close to $4k plus car hire, hotels, food, etc, Oh, and maybe a new suit, too!). I also only get three days for bereavement leave and just got back from vacation a couple of weeks ago, so I could possibly even lose my job if I try to take too much time off.

My sister has been the center of problems in the family for the last five years or so and, unfortunately, Mum 'refused to interfere', but managed to side with her. My last conversation with Mum was in early February and ended up with me hanging up on her - I haven't spoken to my sister in over five years and it doesn't look like friendly chat is on the card any time soon!

I'm happy she's no longer in pain, but I refuse to pay out the above with the thought of spending all my time not at the funeral sitting in a hotel room, waiting for the time to fly home again.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 8:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My sincere condolences, CS. I hope that your memories of her will bring you comfort.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 9:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The air needs to change itself. I'm sorry to read that CivilServant.

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I like Bevs' idea of holding a memorial of my own at the time, so long as I can find out when it is.
For the MIL, I found out by doing a bit of stalking - call it investigative - around TBH. Once I felt I had the funeral director , I had husband phone them .

There may be local paper notices . You may have a cousin or the like you could ask .

To this day he doesn't exactly know what the service was at all. We did send flowers though for that day direct to the Funeral Directors so husband was there in his own way and we help our own memorial right at the day and time - which being in NZ did mean late night.
Old Sep 24th 2018, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:11 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. Guindalf I agree about the expense, one of the hardest things that I knew when moving here is that I would probably never see her again because of that - and she was for all intents and purposes the one who raised me the most. I found myself thinking of times when we laughed or cried or whatever together that I hadn't though about in 15 years or more.

If you have good memories, those are the ones to hold on too. Don't let anyone else bring you down right now.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:17 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Very sorry to hear your news.

My mother also died suddenly and unexpectedly, so I have a bit of an idea how it feels. If you want to go back for the funeral, do so. You don't have to participate in family events if you don't want to. Or if you would rather not, that's ok too.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:18 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

And condolences to you as well.
Old Sep 25th 2018, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. I'm the only one that matters in this situation.

I did get another Facebook communication from my brother-in-law today. He told me that they were informed on Sunday that the funeral MAY be Wednesday afternoon, but due to Jewish holidays, they won't know for sure until tomorrow! There's no way I could arrange top be there if I tried, so it kinda makes up my mind for me.

I'm hoping I can get the copies of the forms I need in order to get paid for my bereavement leave, but I'm doubting that will even happen. As for any inheritance, my sister was named executrix a long time ago (Mum asked me and, at the time, I had no reason to object), so I'm not holding my breath and frankly, don't care.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Facebook strikes again, this time at around 6:30 this morning, telling me that the funeral is taking place at 15:00 (UK), so 10:00AM!

For anyone needing help with the math, that's 3.5 hours notice, so it would have been totally impossible to attend if I wanted to.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 2:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
Facebook strikes again, this time at around 6:30 this morning, telling me that the funeral is taking place at 15:00 (UK), so 10:00AM!

For anyone needing help with the math, that's 3.5 hours notice, so it would have been totally impossible to attend if I wanted to.
So the decision was made for you. Forget about the rest of the family now and concentrate your thoughts on happy memories of your mother, saying goodbye in your own way.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Muna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond repute

My condolences, Guindalf. I hope you find some way of honouring her memory that's both meaningful to you and free of all this stress.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.