Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lost Green Card

Lost Green Card

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Lost Green Card

My daughter recently lost her Green Card and is travelling back to the UK on the 27th of Feb.
She phoned the local Immigration Office (Arlington DC) and was told it take a year to issue a new one.........panic.
However they said that if she goes into the office they'll stamp her passport so she is free to travel.
I assume it will be an extension of the I-551, does anyone know the procedure ?
Thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Britfrombristol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lost Green Card

I am not too sure of the exact procedure but you may be able to find out what you need to know on www.uscis.gov

There is a section on Green Cards and I believe there is a form and information relating to lost Green Cards.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 12:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rogerpenycate ..... I assume it will be an extension of the I-551, does anyone know the procedure ?
Mine isn't lost - it was issued with errors, and yes, the INS office just gave me another year on my I-551 while they get there act together to issue a replacement; but be warned, when coming back through immigration your daughter is likely to be sent to a separate desk/ room to have her visa stamp verified. This is what I was told the time that I travelled without my Green Card - but I don't know what the verification process is because I was allowed straight through (without the visa verification check) because "I don't fit the profile" (the immigration officer's words, not mine! ).

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 4th 2004 at 12:14 am.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
My daughter recently lost her Green Card and is travelling back to the UK on the 27th of Feb.
She phoned the local Immigration Office (Arlington DC) and was told it take a year to issue a new one.........panic.
However they said that if she goes into the office they'll stamp her passport so she is free to travel.
I assume it will be an extension of the I-551, does anyone know the procedure ?
Thanks
Yes, I do. I got stamps in my British passport for travel to funerals in 2000 and 2002. (I never did get my green card which I paid for, but became a citizen ) Suprisingly, it allows you to travel into and out of the country without a hitch. My mother (an alien) will be going to visit her mum this month and she just got the temporary stamp at the airport yesterday so I know the system is the same. She has applied for a replacement green card (I-90) and it will take over 300 some odd days for one to be issued. To get your stamp you go to your local ASC (application support center) and bring your details. The website is really helpful in providing simple information like finding the nearest ASC. http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/ascs/index.htm

The stamp reads like this:

(ALIEN NUMBER HANDWRITTEN)
PROCESSED FOR I-551.
TEMPORARY EVIDENCE OF
LAWFUL ADMISSION FOR
PERMANENT RESIDENCE
VALID UNTIL____________
EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED
(LOCATION CODE?)
(DATE)

Last edited by jaytee; Feb 4th 2004 at 1:01 am.
Old Feb 4th 2004, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Thanks

Thanks all,
I can't believe that we were sent our first Green Cards within a month of arriving, but with everything in the system it then takes a year + to re-issue them.
Why am I not surprised !!
Old Feb 4th 2004, 3:34 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thanks

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
we were sent our first Green Cards within a month of arriving,
That must have been an error! One month? Somebody clearly forgot to lose something somewhere!