Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking for locations

Looking for locations

Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:42 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for locations

Originally Posted by Hove
The Neo Nazis went to Ohio I believe.
gulp
Old Jun 9th 2008, 6:54 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hove
Well I do have Canada above
Yeah. That makes 7 though.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steerpike
If you're considering Washington State or Oregon, then don't forget Northern California. Lefter-leaning than the northern neighbors, ......
I don't know......can anywhere be lefter leaning than Eugene?

And talking of Nazis, how about this?

http://www.katu.com/news/local/19665984.html
Old Jun 9th 2008, 10:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
Missouri beats you with a number of 8 states surrounding Missouri has the record along with Tennessee.

Arkansas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Nebraska
Iowa
Illinois
Kentucky
Tennessee
Yeah, but with states you wouldn't necessarily want to drive to
Old Jun 9th 2008, 10:19 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, but with states you wouldn't necessarily want to drive to
Ain't that the truth. Illinois being the exception. One word, Chicago. My homestate is Virginia and I've got plans to go back as we speak. Just for a vacay but it will be good time nonetheless.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Google best place and you get 2,3800,000 hits.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

I like California's Central Coast from Monterey to Santa Barbara. Particularly around San Luis Obispo.

http://www.bestplaces.net/docs/studi...tplaces05.aspx
Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Google best place and you get 2,3800,000 hits.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

I like California's Central Coast from Monterey to Santa Barbara. Particularly around San Luis Obispo.

http://www.bestplaces.net/docs/studi...tplaces05.aspx
Central Coast is gorgeous, and super laid-back. I didn't mention it because it's a very high price location - Santa Barbara must be one of the most expensive towns in the country; at least Northern California is a bit cheaper. If you are going to look at Central Coast, you have to take a peek at "Cambria" too - lovely little town.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farmerwife
I don't know......can anywhere be lefter leaning than Eugene?
What IS the deal with Eugene? On a recent Oregon vacation, I got out of the car in downtown Eugene and was immediately hounded by 'homeless' youth for donations. I sidestepped one group of youths, only to encounter another and another, all asking for 'help'. After about 30 minutes of this, I returned to the car and left town, heading inland.

I've been in the Bay Area for a LONG time, and seen my share of homeless, but there was something very disturbing about these homeless kids in Eugene (and other towns in Oregon, come to think of it). While the homeless in the Bay Area look to be truly down on their luck, these kids in Oregon appeared to be 'homeless by choice' - I couldn't decide whether they were 'bored rich kids' or truly the victims of some unfortunate circumstances. I did a bit of research on returning home, and read one kid saying, 'all I want is a few acres of land where I can grow vegetables and be self-sufficient' ... a few acres of land ... in coastal America ... mind boggling ...
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Snowdaisy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by julii2020
Ok, so I’m not much of a poster, but I do read this forum quite regularly. I’m hoping you can give me some advice. Our story in a nutshell: I did the BUNAC summer camp thing in upstate NY in the 80s, met the man of my life, eloped, got US citizenship and lived in the Hudson Valley & Manhattan until 2004, when we moved back to the UK. I’m glad we tried living in England, but neither of us really love it here and I’m itching to leave and get back to somewhere having open vistas, with fewer drunken nutjobs and traffic jams.

So, we are planning to come back to the States in the next year or two, but we are having trouble deciding on some locations to research.

We both love the Catskills – mountains, country living, quaint villages, leftish local politics, yet within a few hours of a big city/ for when we need the occasional dose of culture/airports.

However, I just can’t face those long cold winters, so we’re looking for ideas for similar alternatives further south or west.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi there

Have a look at citydata.com...they have a forum for all the states and some of the towns and cities within them...we found this an absolute mine of information...good luck.

xXx
Snow
xXx
Old Jun 12th 2008, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

julii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nicejulii2020 is just really nice

I’ve always thought the North West and Northern CA sound lovely, but we’ve never been out there, so I think an exploratory trip is needed. I might have to do some convincing of my NY born DH though – he seems a bit more keen on the East. In the interests of balance – any suggestions for mid-Atlantic towns/villages/areas?