Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking forward to moving to the US?

Looking forward to moving to the US?

Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

creamcracker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking forward to moving to the US?

I'm not sure I should ask this question cause I get the feeling it might provoke some abuse but here goes, is it worth sending children to a private school in Florida or is it a waste of money?
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:38 pm
delphiman

To Redlobster:
So? Whys the E2 visa unfair? I can see the US govt's point of view...once they reach 21 they aint kids anymore and have to make their own way in the world....even if that means applying for visas in their own right. Otherwise the E2 visa route would be an open door for immigrant migration allowing all subsequent generations to stay here permanently. Maybe if the agreement was to hand over the business to the adult kids then fair enough.

On the point of E2'ers having to leave if they sell the biz...well surely thats simply due to the terms of the visa being you have a biz, otherwise you could buy as biz get an E2 then sell it ASAP after you arrived and then just be another immigrant....it would again be a back door to immigration. I mean if you come over as student you have to leave once you've completed your studies....

As has been said you know the rules when you go for a visa....how about stop whining about it? You could always stay in the UK or wherever you are from.

Creamcracker, why should you get abused for it? Loads of kids here go to private schools. Nowt wrong with that.

Last edited by delphiman; Feb 25th 2005 at 8:18 pm.

Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:40 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redlobster
YES !!!
Its all about MONEY and AMERICAN jobs.
E-2ers make a hugh contribution to this country.A lot of people come the E-2 route as it is now almost the easiest way,although even that is getting harder by the day.
The amount of investment put in by E-2ers is emormous, not only that but they employ Americans.
E-2ers have no security,they come into America via this visa, as it is almost the only way!! then keep there fingers crossed that the laws will be changed.
They put there children into school,only to see them asked to leave at 21. When that time comes what are the choices.
1. Let your child return to Uk.
2.Invest even more money to buy them E-2 biz .
3. Sell up take all your investment money back to UK.!
What we are trying to do is change this. America is the only country that does this !!
There is a body and its called the NFIB ( National Federation of Independant Small Businessess ). They are a lobbying group who lobby for fairness in small business. REMEMBER small business is the backbone of any country.Through its members they have a BIG, LOUD, VOICE.. When we approched them on the issues of the E-2 children they were shocked,and by becoming members of the NFIB,then we can be heard, as I said at the beginning, Its about money, a politician will see the benefit of fighting this corner. Its not just us Brits ,theres all the other countries,Spain, France etc,etc. So if you look at the bigger picture then maybe together all we E-2ers can make a difference
If you want more info E-mail me.
Redlobster.
I'll take this one at a time.

Its all about MONEY and AMERICAN jobs.
well yes, this is the USA of course. Everything revolves around money

E-2ers make a hugh contribution to this country.
Compared to what?

A lot of people come the E-2 route as it is now almost the easiest way,although even that is getting harder by the day.
The amount of investment put in by E-2ers is emormous.
No-one put a gun to your head to do this, it was your decision The amount of investment is no different to anyone esle starting out.

E-2ers have no security,they come into America via this visa
You knew this coming in. You knew the rules.

1. Let your child return to Uk.
2.Invest even more money to buy them E-2 biz .
In the eyes of the USCIS on a non-immigrant visa, this is what you are supposed to do. What is the problem? This is the idea. As again, you knew this coming into this situation.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:43 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by creamcracker
I'm not sure I should ask this question cause I get the feeling it might provoke some abuse but here goes, is it worth sending children to a private school in Florida or is it a waste of money?
why would that lead to abuse?
if you can afford it then go for it. The public education system I think in the States sucks big time on a curricular level.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

To tell the truth, unless you're putting your child in the very best private school in your county, its not worth the money. Private school teachers earn half or less than public school teachers in this state.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:57 pm
Franklin

Imho, the parents play an important role. If the parents of a child want their child to do well and foster a learning environment at home their child is far more likely to do well at school. Also, the teachers need the parents on their side; when this happens they can achieve "wonderful things" and kids will be pushed and motivated to go far. A school full of half-paid teachers teaching children from homes with parents committed to the school and the education of their children can achieve fantastic results. It is all about motivation and commitment and a no nonsense approach to achieving desired end goals (imho).

Last edited by Franklin; Feb 25th 2005 at 9:01 pm.

Old Feb 25th 2005, 9:49 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but in the South you get a special kind of private school where it's all about going to school with the kids of the local gentry. Learning takes a back seat to who's who at the country club. Investigate carefully. A good public school is worth more than most of the the private schools.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

.[/i]
This is the bit that surprises me though. You wouldve thought the US Govt would want to keep that capital within the US and therefore, perhaps if the E2 business made a certain amount of money, there would be an option to convert to a GC. From what I can gather, I think the aim of the lobby group is to try to get this through. Can't hurt to try, if I was in that situation I would think it a worthy cause and worth a shot.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 3:18 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Dan725
This is the bit that surprises me though. You wouldve thought the US Govt would want to keep that capital within the US and therefore, perhaps if the E2 business made a certain amount of money, there would be an option to convert to a GC. From what I can gather, I think the aim of the lobby group is to try to get this through. Can't hurt to try, if I was in that situation I would think it a worthy cause and worth a shot.
I said earlier this is the only thing that surprises me as it's counter productive to the economy.

But it is a non-immigration visa, otherwise all and sundry would be doing it as a quick and easy way to get in the country permanently for all their future generations.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 3:44 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

If the business does well and becomes worth more than $1 million would you be able to change status as somebody who has bought a business for more than $1 million and gets a green card straight away. just a thought ?
Old Feb 26th 2005, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

TheWilliamsons is on a distinguished road

and what do you plan to do once your eldest reaches 21?
My company makes enough so that I can go for the green card with in the year we have an L1 and was accepted within two days of landing on someones desk so fingers crossed it lands on the right desk for the green card

Last edited by TheWilliamsons; Feb 26th 2005 at 7:21 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

TheWilliamsons is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by creamcracker
Thanks for all your help and replies they have provided very useful. We were advised by our lawyer that the E2 investor visa would be the best one to apply for in our case. I now realise since reading through some of these postings that it probably isn't, (I wish I had found this website last year it sure would have put a better perspective on things!) However, we wanted to move reasonably quickly, my husband wanted a better life and to spend more time with the children while they are still young (he currently spends nearly 2 weeks of every month in South Africa) so we took the easy option. But you have to give things a go and I know if we don't at least try it we would always regret it - still if things don't work out there's always Spain!!

In answer to the question about who we used for our visa, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give out names on this site and as we haven't yet got our visas yet I would be hesitant to recommend him, plus he's extremely difficult to get hold off!!
The reason I asked was that we used a man that was difficult to get hold of and refused to give us copies of the paperwork, after waiting 18 weeks then contacting the US Embassy we discovered that they had never heard of us. Is this man based in Cardiff?
I did all the checks on him and my friend even got her visa through him so I thought he was a sure thing only to discover that he had done nothing.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 6:56 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

But it is a non-immigration visa, otherwise all and sundry would be doing it as a quick and easy way to get in the country permanently for all their future generations.
The Canadians were having this in spades by people wanting to get their money out of Hong Kong before the return of power to China. Both immigrant and non-immigrant businesses were being established and the cost back then was a mere $250,000 CDN, which is about $200,000 US. I think you had to employ six Canadians as well, but at minimum wage, even Canada's minimum wage, that wasn't a considerable sum.

I believe Canada has since raised the minimum investment.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 12:56 pm
ImHere

With all due respect regarding the E2 visa situation, while i can sympathise, what kind of visa would the "kids" get on reaching 21? What if they didnt want to work in the business? They wouldnt get a GC as thats an open door to imigration for everyone and the government would never do that.

All visas have terms and conditions attached and non-immigrant ones have to be exactly that..non-immigrant visas, surely?

Old Feb 27th 2005, 2:45 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Looking forward to moving to the US?

Pretty much any country you move to has regulations regarding children once they reach 21....they're classed as adults and if they haven't achieved permanent residency and don't qualify for a visa in their own right then they have to return to their home country.

It seems reasonable enough to me (when I think about it my parents were married by the time they were 21, but of course that was a few generations ago).

In fact, I read a post on the 'Australia' board here where one family has a 17 year-old working full time in the UK but the family is planning to emigrate to Oz. Apparently as the boy is seen as 'self-supporting' as he works full time, they won't be able to get a visa for him....yet on the other hand if he had been at say, a Sixth form college then he is regarded as wholly dependant on his parents and would be able to get a visa!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.