British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Looking forward to moving to the US? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/looking-forward-moving-us-286337/)

creamcracker Feb 24th 2005 10:44 am

Looking forward to moving to the US?

Have only recently found this website and have been fascinated to read through some of the postings and find answers to some of the questions I have been pondering on for the last few months. We decided to make the move to the states nearly two years ago having spent the last 12 years visiting back and forth. We sold our house (and most of our furniture!), moved into rented accommodation, eventually found a business to buy and a place we felt happy to move to (Lake Mary near Orlando) where we are now having a house built. We are now at the stage of waiting for our E2 visa to come through and are hoping and praying it will happen before the beginning of April when we have to move out of our rental house. I was very interested to read of the experiences of some of you with children and schooling in the US as it is my one big worry. I have three children aged 9, 8 and 4 who will be attending the local school which is an 'A' grade school and I understand to be very good. However, I have spoken to the school and asked if we could visit so we could discuss procedures and get a feel for the place etc, but they apparently don't allow this! They have sent us very limited information. I don't understand how the children will fit into the american schooling system - are they assessed by age or academic achievements, I know my youngest won't be elegible to start school until September (he's 5 in May) even though he's been attending school here since last September. Also I understand they may need to have vaccinations - do they need these before they start? Sorry to ramble on so much but its so good to be able to ask questions to people who have gone through similar experiences. :confused:

Manc Feb 24th 2005 11:52 am

Re: Looking forward to moving to the US?

When your kids reach age 21 what provisions have you made re the E2 visa?

TouristTrap Feb 24th 2005 11:57 am

It was a long time ago, but I do recall them needing some vaccination or another, mine also had to have physicals.

I don't know what county you're in. Google for the county that your kids will be going into, and search under the relevant education department, you'll have all the info you need.

I found the link for miami/dade : http://northbeachelementary.dadescho...ur_school1.htm and don't think that it would be that different in your county.

I won't comment on what I think of FL schooling.

dbj1000 Feb 24th 2005 12:02 pm

In answer to the one question of your that I can answer:

Yes, they need to have all their required vaccinations up-to-date before they start school. Schools are not supposed to (and most likely won't) allow any child to attend if their vaccinations are not complete.

As you've probably seen, the required vaccination list includes a few (chicken pox, for example) that aren't required in the UK, so you should get these done for your kids now, or pay a fortune for them once you're over here.

I must say, I'm amazed that you've gone ahead and had a home built before even getting the visa! I'm a great believer in jumping in with both feet, selling your UK home etc., but I can't imagine doing anything without first having a valid visa in my hands.

NC Penguin Feb 24th 2005 12:39 pm

I notice you're planning to move to FL. There's a message board dedicted to Brits moving to and living in FL. The URL is:
http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/floridadays/index.cgi

This site is probably more relevant for you but there are members on BE who live in FL and have children at school too.

NC Penguin

clydegirl Feb 24th 2005 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by creamcracker
Have only recently found this website and have been fascinated to read through some of the postings and find answers to some of the questions I have been pondering on for the last few months. We decided to make the move to the states nearly two years ago having spent the last 12 years visiting back and forth. We sold our house (and most of our furniture!), moved into rented accommodation, eventually found a business to buy and a place we felt happy to move to (Lake Mary near Orlando) where we are now having a house built. We are now at the stage of waiting for our E2 visa to come through and are hoping and praying it will happen before the beginning of April when we have to move out of our rental house. I was very interested to read of the experiences of some of you with children and schooling in the US as it is my one big worry. I have three children aged 9, 8 and 4 who will be attending the local school which is an 'A' grade school and I understand to be very good. However, I have spoken to the school and asked if we could visit so we could discuss procedures and get a feel for the place etc, but they apparently don't allow this! They have sent us very limited information. I don't understand how the children will fit into the american schooling system - are they assessed by age or academic achievements, I know my youngest won't be elegible to start school until September (he's 5 in May) even though he's been attending school here since last September. Also I understand they may need to have vaccinations - do they need these before they start? Sorry to ramble on so much but its so good to be able to ask questions to people who have gone through similar experiences. :confused:

They will need immunisations up to date ,a school physical and some school districts ask for proof that they have seen a dentist within the past year.

Lizzi Feb 24th 2005 1:15 pm

In my experience a general tour of the school is ok but they don't want you in the classrooms. I have spent three years offering to help out in one of my 3 daughters' classes, this year I finally managed it - 1 measly hour a week doing something called 'speed sport' which I personally think is a waste of my assistance time. I'm not a big fan of the education system here (too much filling in of photocopied sheets etc) but it may be different in Florida. Good luck. Sounds like you have your work cut out!

creamcracker Feb 24th 2005 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
When your kids reach age 21 what provisions have you made re the E2 visa?

I'm afraid I haven't thought that far ahead yet as the children are all under 10, I guess thats something we need to consider. I would be interested to know what other people have done.

creamcracker Feb 24th 2005 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000
In answer to the one question of your that I can answer:

Yes, they need to have all their required vaccinations up-to-date before they start school. Schools are not supposed to (and most likely won't) allow any child to attend if their vaccinations are not complete.

As you've probably seen, the required vaccination list includes a few (chicken pox, for example) that aren't required in the UK, so you should get these done for your kids now, or pay a fortune for them once you're over here.

I must say, I'm amazed that you've gone ahead and had a home built before even getting the visa! I'm a great believer in jumping in with both feet, selling your UK home etc., but I can't imagine doing anything without first having a valid visa in my hands.

Thanks for the advice on the vaccines, I will try and get them done over here first. Having the house built is a bit of a risk I suppose, we have owned a couple of houses in the US over the last 12 years so it was just the next progression At least we can sell it if all goes wrong, will just have to live with the inlaws in the meantime!

vegas Feb 24th 2005 1:26 pm

When we came over to Tampa Florida 2 years ago my son was 16 and my daughter 11. My daughter had to have 5 vaccinations and my son 3 these were done free by the local Clinic. You need to bring over your childrens academic records and current vaccination records. A dental check was not required for Florida. My experience of the standard of education my children are receiving here is that it is far advanced on what they were doing in the UK.

Manc Feb 24th 2005 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by creamcracker
I'm afraid I haven't thought that far ahead yet as the children are all under 10, I guess thats something we need to consider. I would be interested to know what other people have done.

in some cases, the kids have had no alternative but to leave of their own accord before they were deported.

creamcracker Feb 24th 2005 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by vegas
When we came over to Tampa Florida 2 years ago my son was 16 and my daughter 11. My daughter had to have 5 vaccinations and my son 3 these were done free by the local Clinic. You need to bring over your childrens academic records and current vaccination records. A dental check was not required for Florida. My experience of the standard of education my children are receiving here is that it is far advanced on what they were doing in the UK.

Thanks for the info, it's nice to hear someone say something positive about the education in Florida, I was beginning to get quite depressed!

ladyofthelake Feb 24th 2005 6:00 pm

Here's the official lowdown on what they need:

http://www.doh.state.fl.us/disease_c...une/school.pdf

cabritpop Feb 24th 2005 7:13 pm

You can opt out of vaccines, vaccines have always been voluntary.

You can demand an exemption form from school admin and take it to a notary.

Don't expect any 'official' to tell you this.

Florida, isn't that where they pay poor families $970, some clothing and a camcorder to test pesticides on their kids for the government?

from the washington post

Welcome to the good ol' us of a.

Dan725 Feb 24th 2005 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
in some cases, the kids have had no alternative but to leave of their own accord before they were deported.

Are you the "Harbinger of Doom" today Manc? You might be realistic and very farsighted, but thats years away in this case! People have to live their dreams you know! :)