Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Looking forward to moving to the US?

Looking forward to moving to the US?

Old Feb 25th 2005, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Looking forward to moving to the US?

Originally Posted by Manc
Why ask to move the goalposts.
you knew the rules when you moved over there.

Ah,but sometimes you need to rock the boat from the inside !!!!
Redlobster
Old Feb 25th 2005, 4:34 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Why ask to move the goalposts.
you knew the rules when you moved over there.
It seems like a legitimate move to me. If you don’t like the laws, you can lobby to change them. What’s wrong with that?
Old Feb 25th 2005, 4:34 pm
delphiman

Schools...we had to get our kids done with the full lot including a 6 month Hep B course. Got ours into a grade A school and its ok...more homework than in the UK but they get on OK. School starts at 8am and ends at 2pm.

Theyve got their sats this week and are all grumpy about it

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I notice you're planning to move to FL. There's a message board dedicted to Brits moving to and living in FL. The URL is:
http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/floridadays/index.cgi

This site is probably more relevant for you but there are members on BE who live in FL and have children at school too.

NC Penguin

Yeah I've browsed that forum and its useful but to be honest I've found this site gives more realistic and unbiased replies about life in the good ol' US of A. Its also mostly about Florida.

Last edited by delphiman; Feb 25th 2005 at 4:38 pm.

Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:02 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delphiman
<<snip>>

Yeah I've browsed that forum and its useful but to be honest I've found this site gives more realistic and unbiased replies about life in the good ol' US of A. Its also mostly about Florida.
...which is what the OP would want.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It seems like a legitimate move to me. If you don’t like the laws, you can lobby to change them. What’s wrong with that?
would a politician listen to someone who cannot vote?
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:12 pm
Cerdwin

Originally Posted by creamcracker
Have only recently found this website and have been fascinated to read through some of the postings and find answers to some of the questions I have been pondering on for the last few months. We decided to make the move to the states nearly two years ago having spent the last 12 years visiting back and forth. We sold our house (and most of our furniture!), moved into rented accommodation, eventually found a business to buy and a place we felt happy to move to (Lake Mary near Orlando) where we are now having a house built. We are now at the stage of waiting for our E2 visa to come through and are hoping and praying it will happen before the beginning of April when we have to move out of our rental house. I was very interested to read of the experiences of some of you with children and schooling in the US as it is my one big worry. I have three children aged 9, 8 and 4 who will be attending the local school which is an 'A' grade school and I understand to be very good. However, I have spoken to the school and asked if we could visit so we could discuss procedures and get a feel for the place etc, but they apparently don't allow this! They have sent us very limited information. I don't understand how the children will fit into the american schooling system - are they assessed by age or academic achievements, I know my youngest won't be elegible to start school until September (he's 5 in May) even though he's been attending school here since last September. Also I understand they may need to have vaccinations - do they need these before they start? Sorry to ramble on so much but its so good to be able to ask questions to people who have gone through similar experiences.
I'm a native american, I hope you don't have any problems but your local health department or doctor would be a good place to start with your questions. Good luck, I'm planning to move to Australia and get and keep citizenships in both. But then, my children are grown...*sigh*

Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

why would a politician listen to someone who cannot vote?
Yes, they certainly do.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:13 pm
Cerdwin

Amen to that one!!!! Or anyone for that matter if it isn't a voting year...LOL

Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Schools...we had to get our kids done with the full lot including a 6 month Hep B course. Got ours into a grade A school and its ok...more homework than in the UK but they get on OK. School starts at 8am and ends at 2pm.

I'm wondering, can't you opt out of the vaccinations? I always thought you could. It annoys me that chicken pox and hep b are required to get into school.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

same story with our kids - after 2 weeks of school we got a stroppy note saying she needed jabs - she was sent to local health centre and it was all done for free - worked out OK though as we need them for the green card application anyway. Loads of homework here in CA (8 hours + per week) also got ours in a great school - sick of the bloody place asking for cash though - dont worry too much about the education (yet) worry about the making some mates - should be OK at their age though and GOOD LUCK !
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TheWilliamsons
the job i do i dont use puncuation so i never bother
a teacher then ?
Old Feb 25th 2005, 5:35 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Cerdwin
Amen to that one!!!! Or anyone for that matter if it isn't a voting year...LOL

Do corporations have votes? They listen to them all the time.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:06 pm
delphiman

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
...which is what the OP would want.

NC Penguin

Which is fair nuff. Still think this one gives more unbiased views and hence more useful.

But back to the schools....

We werent told there was any way to opt out....get yer kids vaccinated or they aint comming in! was basically what we were told. Still its good for em...character building

Old Feb 25th 2005, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

YES !!!
Its all about MONEY and AMERICAN jobs.
E-2ers make a hugh contribution to this country.A lot of people come the E-2 route as it is now almost the easiest way,although even that is getting harder by the day.
The amount of investment put in by E-2ers is emormous, not only that but they employ Americans.
E-2ers have no security,they come into America via this visa, as it is almost the only way!! then keep there fingers crossed that the laws will be changed.
They put there children into school,only to see them asked to leave at 21. When that time comes what are the choices.
1. Let your child return to Uk.
2.Invest even more money to buy them E-2 biz .
3. Sell up take all your investment money back to UK.!
What we are trying to do is change this. America is the only country that does this !!
There is a body and its called the NFIB ( National Federation of Independant Small Businessess ). They are a lobbying group who lobby for fairness in small business. REMEMBER small business is the backbone of any country.Through its members they have a BIG, LOUD, VOICE.. When we approched them on the issues of the E-2 children they were shocked,and by becoming members of the NFIB,then we can be heard, as I said at the beginning, Its about money, a politician will see the benefit of fighting this corner. Its not just us Brits ,theres all the other countries,Spain, France etc,etc. So if you look at the bigger picture then maybe together all we E-2ers can make a difference
If you want more info E-mail me.
Redlobster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.