Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Look what I found at Kroger today!

Look what I found at Kroger today!

Old Dec 20th 2011, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Chaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Look what I found at Kroger today!

Damn the consequences, I'll admit it: The Hersheys manufactured Cadbury isn't as terrible as it's made out it be. I think we're just surprised when it turns out to be a bit different from the Cadbury's we grew up with.

Really, the debate over American vs. British chocolate has always seemed like a debate between Irish and Canadian wine. Neither side has much to be proud of. Excepting smaller, locally owned chocolatiers . . . got some good ones where I live.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Russell Stover are pretty nice.

Unlike any Hershey chocolate that (to my mouth) tastes like cheesy vomit!
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chaunticleer
Damn the consequences, I'll admit it: The Hersheys manufactured Cadbury isn't as terrible as it's made out it be.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbd own:

Jim.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 3:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chaunticleer
Damn the consequences, I'll admit it: The Hersheys manufactured Cadbury isn't as terrible as it's made out it be. I think we're just surprised when it turns out to be a bit different from the Cadbury's we grew up with.

Really, the debate over American vs. British chocolate has always seemed like a debate between Irish and Canadian wine. Neither side has much to be proud of. Excepting smaller, locally owned chocolatiers . . . got some good ones where I live.
Are you serious? Maybe you need a taste bud transplant.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you serious? Maybe you need a taste bud transplant.
I agree
Old Dec 20th 2011, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Chaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of lightChaunticleer is a glorious beacon of light

I knew it wouldn't be a popular opinion! I always was a bit of an iconoclast though. Same mediocre chocolate, two different textures. The U.K. version has nostalgia and familiarity on its side . . . two forces which are far more powerful than taste! In blind taste tests (in Europe and America) good old Dairy Milk almost always fares poorly.

I still eat chocolate eggs 'til I puke though. Can't help it. It's just that talking about the U.K. having good chocolate is like talking about America having good dairy. Now if you want to talk about cheese, I'm a great patriot . . . chocolate, not so much.

And while I'm on a roll . . . Hershey's bars? Awful. Except when melted. Then they're not so bad. Really.

Go ahead, tar and feather me! I can handle it!
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
So I checked the back and it says that it's made by hershey's.........But it tastes just the same as the good stuff back home!!
Yes it does. And you can get Cadburys in most Walmarts too.

Originally Posted by Magpie1
N0 offence intended but hen was the last time you had a real Cadbury bar ?

I don't think they taste anything like the original.
You'd be wrong.

The missus and I did multiple blind taste tests last time I had access to both 'original' and Hersheys-made, and we couldn't tell the difference.

For those of you thinking there is an obvious difference: it's a mental thing. You know which is which, so you think that the 'original' tastes better. If you didn't know which was which, you'd struggle. I've proved it with several people.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Dec 22nd 2011 at 11:11 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Russell Stover are pretty nice.

Unlike any Hershey chocolate that (to my mouth) tastes like cheesy vomit!

Thats exactly the way my 8 year old daughter describes Hershey
Old Dec 24th 2011, 2:28 am
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
Thats exactly the way my 8 year old daughter describes Hershey
There is definitely something sicky about it, like milk that's gone off.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:20 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

So, was in WM getting some stuff and they had Cadbury's mini fingers... toffee crunch.
On the back it says, kid you not, - "Toffee flavored mini cookies with milk chocolate and vegetable fat coating "
Mmmmm, sounds d-lish... Hershey's, you suck.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:24 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
So I checked the back and it says that it's made by hershey's

How long you been here?

.........But it tastes just the same as the good stuff back home!!
No it doesn't.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Manc
How long you been here?
I have been here a little under 2 years. I think it tastes the same as cadburys back home but like I said earlier I could be wrong since I'm not a huge chocolate fan anyway!

Either way it's better than the horrible hershys stuff!