Lonely

Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lonely

Originally Posted by meauxna
I've tried to not comment on things like this because it just ends up in frustration or falling on deaf ears, but did it ever occur (and this is NOT directed at any individual post here) that it's you who has the ability to do something about this?
I know every part of the country is different, and that there will be a dozen objections to why this won't work where you live, but where I am, I can hardly keep my neighbors away. We have a block party every summer, that everyone participates in. We have a holiday home tour party in December. We're having a meeting this week aptly titled Know Your Neighborhood, for disaster preparedness and crime prevention planning, we all gab when we're passing and someone is in the yard, we meet up at the Farmer's Market, most of us who work from home go out for coffee whenever someone's bored or wants out for an hour.. I can hardly get any alone time away from them!

I joined the neighborhood association and attend the monthly meetings. There's a buttload of stuff to volunteer and participate in with that.. in other words, as much effort as I put into it, I get back more than enough socializing and friendly neighborliness. I wanted to walk a dog, so I offered to walk the next door's when they're at work; now I have someone I can leave my housekey with if I want to go away. Trade favors, do something for someone, ask for help, advice, information you may even already know.

I just find it discouraging to read over and over about how insular Americans are and how in your lap British are when I can't seem to get rid of the Americans I have! The most recent Brit we've met here only wants to socialize with Brits or talk about things British and he's lived here 20 years.
Dh didn't want anything to do with him, even though they have a passionate shared interest.

It's one of those days when I just don't get it. Had to have my little rant.
Well said, M! I'd karma you but my iPhone won't let me

Last edited by meauxna; Jul 12th 2010 at 3:05 am. Reason: removed some personal info from my quote
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:22 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried to not comment on things like this because it just ends up in frustration or falling on deaf ears, but did it ever occur (and this is NOT directed at any individual post here) that it's you who has the ability to do something about this?
I know every part of the country is different, and that there will be a dozen objections to why this won't work where you live, but where I am, I can hardly keep my neighbors away. We have a block party every summer, that everyone participates in. We have a holiday home tour party in December. We're having a meeting this week aptly titled Know Your Neighborhood, for disaster preparedness and crime prevention planning, we all gab when we're passing and someone is in the yard, we meet up at the Farmer's Market, most of us who work from home go out for coffee whenever someone's bored or wants out for an hour.. I can hardly get any alone time away from them!

I joined the neighborhood association and attend the monthly meetings. There's a buttload of stuff to volunteer and participate in with that.. in other words, as much effort as I put into it, I get back more than enough socializing and friendly neighborliness. I wanted to walk a dog, so I offered to walk the next door's when they're at work; now I have someone I can leave my housekey with if I want to go away. Trade favors, do something for someone, ask for help, advice, information you may even already know.

I just find it discouraging to read over and over about how insular Americans are and how in your lap British are when I can't seem to get rid of the Americans I have! The most recent Brit we've met here only wants to socialize with Brits or talk about things British and he's lived here 20 years.
Dh didn't want anything to do with him, even though they have a passionate shared interest.

Girl you are spot on.

(Not again targeted at an idividual)
As you know I am a Brit so Why TF is there such a dia need to associate your life with fella countrymen its nuts, what so you can dig the depression hole deeper and reminisce about the good old days ....sorry it gets up my nose, get a grip and move forward with your life its not that I am not sympathetic but look at the plus side of things not the negative........

Last edited by meauxna; Jul 12th 2010 at 3:05 am. Reason: removed some personal info from my quote
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:02 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Girl you are spot on.

(No again targeted at an idividual)
As you know I am a Brit so Why TF is there such a dia need to associate your life with fella countrymen its nuts, what so you can dig the depression hole deeper and reminisce about the good old days ....sorry it gets up my nose, get a grip and move forward with your life's its not that I am not sympathetic but look at the plus side of things not the negative........
I live in the most desolate state and even I can make friends if I want to, you have to interact with people or you will never meet anyone
Have a Brit that comes to the house every month he gets on my nerves cant wait for him to leave, might be that he is a cockney

Last edited by candy wy.; Jul 11th 2010 at 11:06 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:59 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Well said, M! I'd karma you but my iPhone won't let me
Just send me the phone?
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:04 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Re: Lonely

Originally Posted by candy wy.
I live in the most desolate state and even I can make friends if I want to, you have to interact with people or you will never meet anyone
Have a Brit that comes to the house every month he gets on my nerves cant wait for him to leave, might be that he is a cockney

And Whats wrong wiv us Cockneys ??
If you use your LOAF and stop putting your plates in your north and south
you might make better friends !

:-)
Old Jul 12th 2010, 1:37 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman
And Whats wrong wiv us Cockneys ??
If you use your LOAF and stop putting your plates in your north and south
you might make better friends !

:-)
you all talk funny
I dont want better friends the ones I have are great
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:09 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Way to go Meauxna, great post! I second everything that you say -- and in fact I never found the kind of friendliness in England that I found in the US. When I was new and alone in NYC (and I was painfully shy when I was younger) so many people invited me into their homes, their social circles, to join them for lunch. They didn't all become my best friends forever, but that wasn't the point -- who on earth expects to become best buddies with everyone they meet? -- but they helped get me on my feet and moving on with my life.

And as to moving here and looking for Brits to hang out with . . . that drives me nuts! The way to get over homesickness is to look ahead, embrace your new life, and stop pining for the old one. I know it can be tough -- we've all been there -- but we are the ones who changed our destiny by moving here, and it is up to us to make it work!
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:15 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't disagree. Most of my friends are so busy socializing it's ridiculous. I'm more of the quality not quantity type but my situation is completely under my control. I'm striving for shut-in but will settle for reclusive. For me the litmus test is, "Is this as much fun as reading a book?" If the answer is no then I generally don't do it again - whatever "it" may be. I think I used to need people a lot more. Now I need peace. Things can always change though, life is about seasons.

Last edited by Leslie; Jul 12th 2010 at 3:59 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I don't disagree. Most of my friends are so busy socializing it's ridiculous. I'm more of the quality not quantity type but my situation is completely under my control. I'm striving for shut-in but will settle for reclusive. For me the litmus test is, "Is this as fun as reading a book?" If the answer is no then I generally don't do it again - whatever "it" may be. I think I used to need people a lot more. Now I need peace. Things can always change though, life is about seasons.
The thing is, I was like that in England. But when I moved and those support systems I totally took for granted were gone, it was hard. A lot of the commments from people who are lonely will obviously be subjective and perhaps not totally logical. They are cries from people who may be struggling with the whole package of the decision they made and difficulty adapting to different ways of living.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:08 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The thing is, I was like that in England. But when I moved and those support systems I totally took for granted were gone, it was hard. A lot of the commments from people who are lonely will obviously be subjective and perhaps not totally logical. They are cries from people who may be struggling with the whole package of the decision they made and difficulty adapting to different ways of living.
I understand. I was just talking about myself, I'm not belittling anybody's pain. I think that a lot of times the things that people are crying out about are symptomatic of issues that run much deeper and are much more difficult to identify and ultimately to face.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I understand. I was just talking about myself, I'm not belittling anybody's pain. I think that a lot of times the things that people are crying out about are symptomatic of issues that run much deeper and are much more difficult to identify and ultimately to face.
I think that's true. Working out how much is America's fault is hard
Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman
go home shut your door , dont come out.
Isn't that a choice? There are many things to do if you go find them.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Good points well made!

I agree too in most part with Mo.

I do think it's 'different' making friends here (meeting people) it's not as easy, you have to put more of an effort into it, make plans to put yourself in the situation where meeting/making friends is more of a possibility. Especially if you are a sahm. Every time we have moved States here, I find I have to work harder to make new friends, it's quite possibly my own fault. As has been said, maybe as we get older, we look for different things in people, we 'need' differtent kinds of people around? More genuine maybe?

I think also that part of the problem is, we can easily get into a rut, we can't be bothered putting the extra effort in and it's easy to blame everyone else?

I was talking to hubby about this just this weekend, I was saying that if I really want to meet people here, I could make some fliers up, asking if any other sahm's would be interested in setting up a 'coffee morning' or a 'dinner club' anything that might afford the opportunity to meet the neighbors etc. I know there are other sahm's here, I have seen them going out to get mail
Question is, can I be bothered? If not, how can I complain that I don't know anyone here?

We all complain (at times) about our families, but when you don't have any around, that can be a big part of the loneliness that some of us feel here too.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:26 pm
WTF?

I think that's true. Working out how much is America's fault is hard
Different people get their identity from a variety of places. Work, family, physical surroundings, arts etc. Whatever makes us feel good about ourselves. If we get our feeling of well being from being in the right environment and that environment is removed - we crumble. Catch-22, most people really don't know what motivates or fulfills them until it is gone, sometimes not even then.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I think maybe that is a regional thing? I know it is not true of my neighbourhood or maybe it is because I live in the city and not the burbs?

You are spot on about having to get involved though, you can't just sit back and wait for friends/company to come to you.

My advise to OP if you are unable to work a regular job find a volunteer job or a craft group (anything that gets you out and mixing with people), if your invited GO! bridal shower, drinks at a bar, open house. Chat to people, one thing having an accent is good for is a conversation starter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.