Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

London psychology student, want to start my career and life in California/LA

London psychology student, want to start my career and life in California/LA

Old Dec 3rd 2016, 7:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London psychology student, want to start my career and life in California/LA

Originally Posted by username.exe
You think a degree is useless in the UK, wait until you hit the streets in California. My wife was competing for admin roles with her Masters degree here - currently she is in school part time (whilst working full time) to get her second Masters in an attempt to secure under-compensated employment as a teacher (don't forget about the myriad of state-specific credentials and certifications you need to study and pay for as well). You need an bachelors degree here to sling a cappuccino and muck the toilets out at the local Starbucks.
I've turned down multiple people with a masters degree to do a job that I could have taught a literate and enthusiastic school-leaver to do.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London psychology student, want to start my career and life in California/LA

The OP should consider Maastricht University in Holland. They teach Physcology to Bachelor AND Masters in English and the fees for EU students are 1875Euros per year!
lovely town ( been there many times over the years) and Mum could come with you without any hassle. most dutch people speak English, but learning some of the language is very helpful. I didn't get much beyond the pleasantries but my goodness, how it helped. Many student societies, and I spent many an evening sitting in the market place with a beer just chatting.
Oh, 47% of the students this year are foreigners!
https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/

This may allow her to excise some of her demons and realise not all life is negative!
As the advice previously given shows she is NOT going to be moving to LA and Mum will NOT be coming with her, it may give her a chance to re-invigorate herself.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 6:38 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
The OP should consider Maastricht University in Holland. They teach Physcology to Bachelor AND Masters in English and the fees for EU students are 1875Euros per year!
lovely town ( been there many times over the years) and Mum could come with you without any hassle. most dutch people speak English, but learning some of the language is very helpful. I didn't get much beyond the pleasantries but my goodness, how it helped. Many student societies, and I spent many an evening sitting in the market place with a beer just chatting.
Oh, 47% of the students this year are foreigners!
https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/

This may allow her to excise some of her demons and realise not all life is negative!
As the advice previously given shows she is NOT going to be moving to LA and Mum will NOT be coming with her, it may give her a chance to re-invigorate herself.
I haven't read all the posts... but my son is going to Holland for university from the USA. I would second this as a good idea. You can get all inclusive rates for accomodation +tuition+food for about €11000 pa.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect the OP would react negatively to a place full of people talking foreign and looking weird.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I suspect the OP would react negatively to a place full of people talking foreign and looking weird.
Yeah, already expressed no interest in those chavvy types a couple hundred miles north.
Old Dec 4th 2016, 7:32 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

alright, I gave up and read those interminably loooonnnng posts by the OP. Flipping heck!
Is she intending to become a psychologist??

You've come here to the forum with an unrealistic dream, maybe it helped you feel better about your life to dream a bit? It sounds like you've managed to overcome quite a few obstacles just to get yourself where you are right now, so give yourself a pat on the back for that.

Why don't you investigate the erasmus programme for studying somewhere else in the EU? Ask if your university has partner universities that you can apply to? Find out about financial help (probably from the European uni rather than the UK one). Go somewhere nice and cheaper to live than London, have a go at learning another language (it really might help you to be more understanding to the non-native english speakers in London). Might I suggest that a break from mum would be good for you too?
Also, perhaps a trip to the doc to talk about anti-depressants for a short while? Just enough to lift you so that you can start making the decisions you need to instead of just dreaming about things. Start now on looking at options for studying in the EU.

edited to add... my much younger half brother went to JohnsHopkins in the USA for a year from UCL - they have an exchange programme and he didn't have to pay US tuition fees - it was covered by his UK tuition bill. However, these programmes tend to be VERY competitive but just have a look for options.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Dec 4th 2016 at 7:36 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

So hang on... you haven't actually even been to California?
Old Dec 5th 2016, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notwhereiwanttobeinlife
Anyway..I was stating the realities of living in London, everyone thinks the education system great because you don't have to pay for it like in the U.S. and it's great living in London ect ect. what's the point when crappy colleges and unis fail people and close down across the country? Throughout my academic life most people have dropped out or have been failed. Plus a degree alone is useless here along with the crappy social life (at my campus anyway)
No you were not. You were stating the realities of your life. Don't assume it is the same for everyone, it isn't.

I lived and worked in central South London London for 30 years and my children attended London unis.

As others have said, you need to come to terms with your own life. Running away (especially to California!) is the worst thing you could do.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 4:55 pm
Austin. TX.

OP which university are you at?
Old Dec 30th 2016, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

OP has left after be8ing upset by all the horrid posters here. Shame on us. We should be more welcoming and embrace newcomers. We should tell them just what they want to hear.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
OP has left after be8ing upset by all the horrid posters here. Shame on us. We should be more welcoming and embrace newcomers. We should tell them just what they want to hear.

My name is Arnold from Austria. I am moving to California to pursue a career in body building and later plan to star in a few movies and maybe go into politics. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dreams can have great value whether ever realized or not.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I've cut out all the "woe is me" stuff. This isn't Dr Phil.

I'm shaking my head in disbelief here. Where are you getting your information from? Hollywood Studios? Walt Disney? Certainly not from my husband who was BORN in Southern California and lived there until his mid-20s. He was a homeless heroin addict on the streets of LA back then and the only way to get clean (which he has been for 20 years) was to move AWAY from there. The streets are awash with drugs. Where do you think the whole crack epidemic started? Ever heard of Skid Row?

Did you know LA has a population of around one twentieth of the UK but has half the number of murders that the UK has. You think men in Brixton with dogs are bad - you wait till you take a wrong turn one day on your way home from work and end up in the path of the Bloods or the Crips. You ain't seen nothing yet. They don't just have dogs. They have guns and machetes.

I thought it was interesting that you deleted your post about people whose first language isn't English. You do realise that more than 50% of the population of Los Angeles does not speak English as a first language? Many of them speak no English at all.

Los Angeles - Speaking the Language | ExpatFocus.com

But yeah it's sunny there so life must be wonderful.
Having lived in California I believe the original poster should simply visit as he seems to have a fantasy idea of what life in California is like. Maybe North Carolina or parts of Texas would better if seriously considering moving to USA. American culture from the movies or television is much different than reality. LA is hardly an area of "traditional" American culture, and the limited vacation time certainly not a plus. The social safety net is limited in USA during bad times, and to travel to Europe expensive.

My opinion would be :

1. Visit LA so the fantasy ideas would be addressed.
2. Finish studies in UK or Europe
3. Research programs that with medical background could help in getting a visa easier- for example medical related jobs in rural areas, native American reservations, US army for that matter ( you don't need to be a citizen); maybe with degree emigrate to Canada first, or become a nurse first as they are in more demand often. Who knows, but specifically researching more may help you in decision.
4. And if you haven't visited maybe visit Northumberland, it has a lot to offer.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 3:08 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by ddsrph
My name is Arnold from Austria. I am moving to California to pursue a career in body building and later plan to star in a few movies and maybe go into politics. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dreams can have great value whether ever realized or not.
Have you read Arnold's story? I think not.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Have you read Arnold's story? I think not.
I know he came here in 1968, was a well known body builder but at that time it didn't mean very much. He rose to fame in the 1970's with many world titles and got into movies in the early eighties.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 5:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
I know he came here in 1968, was a well known body builder but at that time it didn't mean very much. He rose to fame in the 1970's with many world titles and got into movies in the early eighties.
I think I read that Arnie's visa status in the US in the early years was more than a bit questionable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.