Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

London psychology student, want to start my career and life in California/LA

London psychology student, want to start my career and life in California/LA

Old Dec 3rd 2016, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Notwhereiwanttobeinlife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: London psychology student, want to start my career and life in California/LA

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I've cut out all the "woe is me" stuff. This isn't Dr Phil.

I'm shaking my head in disbelief here. Where are you getting your information from? Hollywood Studios? Walt Disney? Certainly not from my husband who was BORN in Southern California and lived there until his mid-20s. He was a homeless heroin addict on the streets of LA back then and the only way to get clean (which he has been for 20 years) was to move AWAY from there. The streets are awash with drugs. Where do you think the whole crack epidemic started? Ever heard of Skid Row?

Did you know LA has a population of around one twentieth of the UK but has half the number of murders that the UK has. You think men in Brixton with dogs are bad - you wait till you take a wrong turn one day on your way home from work and end up in the path of the Bloods or the Crips. You ain't seen nothing yet. They don't just have dogs. They have guns and machetes.

I thought it was interesting that you deleted your post about people whose first language isn't English. You do realise that more than 50% of the population of Los Angeles does not speak English as a first language? Many of them speak no English at all.

http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-los-angeles-language

But yeah it's sunny there so life must be wonderful.
Yes, because I don't want any conflict and decided to keep everything in one post since I can't quote everybody's posts. but since there is conflict now anyway I will rewrite what I did post, it's extremely hard to even communicate when peoples first language isn't English, regardless of their race or colour, it's common sense and I experienced this first had in college and university and this is very frustrating.

And "woe is me"? Have up just read over what you just posted? About how tough life was for your husband? Anyway..I was stating the realities of living in London, everyone thinks the education system great because you don't have to pay for it like in the U.S. and it's great living in London ect ect. what's the point when crappy colleges and unis fail people and close down across the country? Throughout my academic life most people have dropped out or have been failed. Plus a degree alone is useless here along with the crappy social life (at my campus anyway)

But I do agree with one thing you did write, your husband had to move away - exactly my point, why build a life somewhere where you aren't happy and it won't work out for the better, sometimes it's best just to get out (if you can) and move on.

I hate being pitied upon, so I did NOT write this for pity, if this really was a woe is me post I would just give up and quit my education and stay stuck where I am and complain on Facebook or some other forum instead of trying to better my life and make plans hence why I am posting on here, for advice, not a massive lecture from people who have never experienced london or even visited and say how it is better when they have no experience of it! but I thought I would write this to make people realise that London is a sh*thole and the education system here is also *****ed even though education is funded, well for me anyway. Plus in terms of the languages in LA/California.. I'm shocked because immigration laws are much tighter in the U.S. Than the UK, and look at the size of the UK compared to the USA, the UK will soon be too overpopulated and the quality of life will be even worse (not enough public transport, food to go around, houses ect), London is too dense now

I wanted advice not a "who is worse off - the UK or the U.S. Competition"... At the end of the day, everyone is trying to better their lives and that's what I am trying to do. It may be better OR worse in LA or anywhere in California for that matter, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. It is better to explore the world than that stay put in the same miserable place or living a life you are constantly trying to escape from (booking holidays all the time to escape your job and life at home for instance).

And after my mum almost losing me and having to have me delivered prematurely when she was pregnant with me due to a cold and damp flat, fighting councils to fix it and now ending up in a house with structural/insulation problems which are creating havoc on my mums joints, you cannot blame me for wanting to move somewhere sunny!

But in all seriousness, after what you have told me, I will book a trip after graduation next summer to see for myself, just like people making out London is great I can't do the same about California but it sure as hell will be different from this current bulls**t and that's a risk I am willing to take/explore
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 6:07 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London psychology student, want to start my career and life in California/LA

Good Lord what a bizarre world you live in, I live in LA, and believe me its a scary city, I think you've been watching the Kardashians too much!!
Yeah there are nice areas, I am lucky I live in one, but my god does it cost me.
There are large areas I won't even drive through!!
You do realize that LA is California which is close to Mexico????.............where I work I'm a minority, I'm white and I speak English, 90% of my colleagues are Latino, and some speak reasonable English.
I suggest you refocus your goals, sort your life out before thinking LA will cure all ills!!
Don't get me wrong I love living here, but my wife and I earn good money, we can afford to live in a nice area, we are very very lucky. I can drive 5 miles and I'm in ghettos, the streets are lined with graffiti, wrecked cars, drive thru burger places with bullet proof glass, homeless line the streets, LA is not for the faint hearted or dreamers!!
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 9:28 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

it's extremely hard to even communicate when peoples first language isn't English, regardless of their race or colour, it's common sense and I experienced this first had in college and university and this is very frustrating.
Then prepare to be even more frustrated in LA. Have you looked at a map and seen how close it is to Mexico?

And "woe is me"? Have up just read over what you just posted? About how tough life was for your husband?
I am well aware of what I have written and I didn't say anything about it being tough for him. I gave you a cold, hard fact. He became a drug addict because life was anything but tough. He grew up in a beach-side mansion in one of the nicest parts of town with very, very wealthy parents and was spoiled.

along with the crappy social life (at my campus anyway)
You make your own social life. You surely aren't expecting the university to organise it for you?

But I do agree with one thing you did write, your husband had to move away - exactly my point, why build a life somewhere where you aren't happy and it won't work out for the better, sometimes it's best just to get out (if you can) and move on.
You totally missed my point. He had to leave LA because it is a cesspit.

I hate being pitied upon,
OK

so I did NOT write this for pity
OK

not a massive lecture from people who have never experienced london or even visited and say how it is better when they have no experience of it!
I lived in London for 10 years

but I thought I would write this to make people realise that London is a sh*thole
That's your opinion. My experience was completely different.

Plus in terms of the languages in LA/California.. I'm shocked because immigration laws are much tighter in the U.S.
Are you being serious? You're shocked that there are Spanish-speakers in a city a bus ride from the Mexican border? Immigration rules are not strict for those that qualify - many of them will be qualifying family members of citizens. Also, this may come as a huge surprise to you, but there are illegal immigrants all over the USA but particularly in big cities and border areas. Why do you think so many of middle America voted for Trump to be president? It wasn't because of his dress sense.

and look at the size of the UK compared to the USA, the UK will soon be too overpopulated and the quality of life will be even worse (not enough public transport, food to go around, houses ect), London is too dense now
Size has nothing to do with it. Large parts of the USA are empty of people because they are uninhabitable or inhospitable to human life - deserts, mountains, volcanos, swamps, etc. Just because it's bigger, doesn't mean they can fit people on every square inch. If you think London is too densely populated, you won't like LA. London has 3900 people per square mile. LA has 7000 per square mile. See those big parks in London? Look on a Google earth picture of LA and see if you can find as much green open space in the city centre.

And after my mum almost losing me and having to have me delivered prematurely when she was pregnant with me due to a cold and damp flat, fighting councils to fix it and now ending up in a house with structural/insulation problems which are creating havoc on my mums joints, you cannot blame me for wanting to move somewhere sunny!
Here we go again. What was that about not wanting pity?
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 11:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Since your mom will not be able to come to the USA with you, doesn't that kind of disqualify the USA automatically? You need to find a place that you can both move to, don't you?

Rene
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 1:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notwhereiwanttobeinlife
Plus in terms of the languages in LA/California.. I'm shocked because immigration laws are much tighter in the U.S. Than the UK, and look at the size of the UK compared to the USA, the UK will soon be too overpopulated and the quality of life will be even worse (not enough public transport, food to go around, houses ect), London is too dense now
Do you have any idea what the immigration rules for the UK are like? Pop in to our UK forum and see for example how many people cannot take their spouse and children home to the UK because of the immigration rules. Its tough, in many ways tougher than the USA.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 1:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

YI will book a trip after graduation next summer to see for myself, just like people making out London is great I can't do the same about California but it sure as hell will be different from this current bulls**t and that's a risk I am willing to take/explore
Why do you expect to find life to be wonderful in LA, or even in California, when you can dismiss the whole of London as "a §4!t40lë"? I lived in London for 15 years, but you probably couldn't pay me enough to want to move to California.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to quote, because Holy Wall of Text (several times over) Batman!

"Drug culture": California practically invented it (as far as the US goes - *facetious* comment)

Where on earth in London are you studying that your fellow students can't communicate adequately in English????

Back to being sensible: you've been given good and solid advice about ways to immigrate to the US. You've also been given good advice about your feelings and thoughts/mindset.

My *opinion* is that you might need to sit down & FOCUS. Go visit LA, California, etc. More than once. Do some more research based on reality, not on dreams/fantasies.

TL: DR: if you're having a hard time in London, the US could be 1000x worse.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 1:33 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not California she needs to move to, it's the Cotswolds. Lots of white middle-class people there who all speak English. No black men with dogs. No people who speak with even a hint of a foreign accent. Surrounded by people who think UK immigration rules are too lax. No damp flats. Not over-populated. OP, get yourself a copy of the Daily Mail and a train ticket to the Cotswolds and you will have found your utopia.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Do you have any idea what the immigration rules for the UK are like? Pop in to our UK forum and see for example how many people cannot take their spouse and children home to the UK because of the immigration rules. Its tough, in many ways tougher than the USA.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why do you expect to find life to be wonderful in LA, or even in California, when you can dismiss the whole of London as "a §4!t40lë"? I lived in London for 15 years, but you probably couldn't pay me enough to want to move to California.
Yup. I wouldn't want to move to either London or California (& I did have the choice at more than one point), but I'd probably take London if those 2 were my only options.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 1:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I really wish you the best of luck, but you will be in for a massive shock if you think the bucket of shit you have been dealt with will be any different in the US.

It's the same shit, different bucket. Location won't change that for you. It will be tougher.

It's worth a punt if that's what you want, but you've got to take those rose tinted glasses off and get realistic.

You'll have a shit time of things here if all the reasons are to escape what you think is bad about the UK. If the things you are looking for out here aren't related to escaping the UK, you'll have a better time of things.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Has this been posted yet? It might be of practical interest to the OP:
An Overview of Licensure as a Psychologist - California Board of Psychology
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 2:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I will book a trip after graduation next summer to see for myself...
Umm... visiting California isn't going to be like living there - and it never will be... just the same as someone from the US visiting London and loving it isn't going to have the same experience as living there. Do you not understand that simple analogy? I'll forgive you because you're only 22 and seem to have had a rough life so far... but thinking that California is going to cure things for you is a completely stupid idea.

And after my mum almost losing me and...
You're the only one who cares about why you want to move. I, for one, don't care why... so please stop giving irrelevant information. Your reasoning is completely baffling. You've already discovered that your mum can't get a visa to live in the US and yet you go on and on about how great California will be for you and your mum!

Newsflash: She's not moving to the US... so perhaps you should take a step back and rethink your plan.

Ian
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 2:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I am posting on here, for advice, not a massive lecture from people who have never experienced london or even visited and say how it is better when they have no experience of it! but I thought I would write this to make people realise that London is a sh*thole and the education system here is also *****ed even though education is funded, well for me anyway.
Are you missing the point that this is British Expats? Everyone here has "experienced London" and a large number of us worked there before ending up, for various reasons, in the US. You are getting advice -- from people with first-hand experience of both London and LA. And the message that you are determined to ignore is that any problems you have in London will still exist in LA, except that there they will be greatly multiplied.
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 4:49 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Plus a degree alone is useless here...

but I thought I would write this to make people realise that London is a sh*thole and the education system here is also *****ed even though education is funded, well for me anyway. Plus in terms of the languages in LA/California..

I wanted advice not a "who is worse off - the UK or the U.S. Competition"...
You think a degree is useless in the UK, wait until you hit the streets in California. My wife was competing for admin roles with her Masters degree here - currently she is in school part time (whilst working full time) to get her second Masters in an attempt to secure under-compensated employment as a teacher (don't forget about the myriad of state-specific credentials and certifications you need to study and pay for as well). You need an bachelors degree here to sling a cappuccino and muck the toilets out at the local Starbucks.

Last edited by Noorah101; Dec 3rd 2016 at 4:50 pm. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you should visit LA and get a feel of the real place. Travel broadens the mind they say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.