Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Local tragedy

Local tragedy

Old Nov 12th 2005, 6:14 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Local tragedy

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
this morning I have been researching shot guns, and the racking sound has both for and against it seems.

1. some intruders may be scared
2. it gives away your position and wastes a shell
With a handgun or rifle, you are far more likely to miss, and there is a greater chance that the bullet will penetrate walls and hit innocent people. With the shotgun, you need not concern yourself with precise aim, and you need not worry so much about bystanders being harmed.

Remember that what you see on television and films is wrong, it is not easy to aim a weapon accurately, particularly when you are stressed and dealing with an armed, moving opponent. Even police officers often fail to hit their targets when using their weapons under duress -- hitting moving targets in varying conditions is much harder than hitting a predictable target that doesn't pose a threat.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 6:15 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....511120352/1001

This occurred outside my house last night. I was browsing BE at the time and heard the gunshot. The man in question is my next door neighbour who was a great guy.

Two black men are current suspects

Question for RAY or other Floridians/Texans

I need some serious suggestions on 'protection' for

My House
My Car
My Person

Both me and wifey will be getting a concelaed weapons permit
If you are adamant that you're going to take action by getting pistols for yourself and your wife, even if at least one of you can already shoot, I would recommend joining the local gun club where you can practise regularly.

I think there's nothing worse than in a genuine life threatening situation when one freezes or worse still cannot handle their weapon safely.

Also, if you're going to get a concealed carry permit, even if there's a class to take in order to get the permit, be very clear about the circumstances when can carry a concealed weapon and when it can be used.

Laws vary from state to state so it's up to you to check on the laws in your state (and possibly even your city or county).

In the last couple of weeks I've just recertified (safety and pistol test) with my local gun club in order to remain a member there.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 12th 2005, 6:25 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, Ray, one of my redneck friends is a big proponet of the shotgun in the house - any particularly good makes?

Also, there have been carjackings where the driver gets shot just for the hell of it.

The worst thing is, I live in a REASONABLE area. Most properties around me are owned by teachers/attorneys/architects. We can move to a 'better' area, but we would sacrifice postive aspects of our lifestyle like having short walks to bars/restaurants etc.<<snip>>
For self-protection in the home, a pistol is the safest option. Small and easy to handle. The right pistol (to be kept in the house) should be one that both you and your wife can handle safely with ease. This probably narrows down the choice unless you're prepared to get one each.

Another tip. Doesn't matter how good the brand of your firearm, if you have poorly made ammo, you're going to be screwed when it comes to crunch time. You do not want a jam or a misfire occurring...

NC Penguin
Old Nov 12th 2005, 6:37 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
For self-protection in the home, a pistol is the safest option. Small and easy to handle. The right pistol (to be kept in the house) should be one that both you and your wife can handle safely with ease. This probably narrows down the choice unless you're prepared to get one each.

Another tip. Doesn't matter how good the brand of your firearm, if you have poorly made ammo, you're going to be screwed when it comes to crunch time. You do not want a jam or a misfire occurring...
NC Penguin
On going formal training is not something I have a problem with, and I recognise the value in this.

I will also investigate pistol grip shotgun with the shortest legal barrel length. at 4 am and disorientated, a shotgun may be more viable, maybe not
Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I will also investigate pistol grip shotgun with the shortest legal barrel length. at 4 am and disorientated, a shotgun may be more viable, maybe not
at 4am and disorientated, your far less likely to miss too...plus less likely have a stray bullet go through a window and kill a neighbour across the street.

And stick to small calibres....high velocity makes a big mess, also a much bigger chance of missing...

Has anyone thought of a .22 for a car? I know there fairly high velocity and won't stop a car, but for close range in a car you don't want to be deafened and blind firing the first shot if the shit were to happen...
Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:20 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

at 4 am and disorientated, a shotgun may be more viable, maybe not
You may be surprised at how fast the adrenalin will wake you up
Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:37 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
And the point of highlighting that they were black is...?

I was actually thinking the same thing myself.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:39 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

We baked some muffins and took food round for the partner of the deceased and the other people at the house.

I just cannot comprehend the level of loss

The thing I hope for most is for the cops to find the perps. maybe the surviving relatives can get some closure then

I've lived in the area for nearly two years and nothing like this has occurred - its all very disturbing
Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:47 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....511120352/1001

This occurred outside my house last night. I was browsing BE at the time and heard the gunshot. The man in question is my next door neighbour who was a great guy.

Two black men are current suspects

Question for RAY or other Floridians/Texans

I need some serious suggestions on 'protection' for

My House
My Car
My Person

Both me and wifey will be getting a concelaed weapons permit
I'm so sorry for what happened, no one deserves that. I hope you can begin feeling safe in your own home/car again soon.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:04 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

On going formal training is not something I have a problem with, and I recognise the value in this.

Personally.. I find wielding a shotgun indoors is difficult and cumbersome
for something solely for home protection and being hardly used a cheap Mossberg Cruiser (has pistol grip) 12g with an 18.5in barrel would suffice..

Personally I prefer a .38 revolver.. semi autos can jam up if left loaded for a long time without use and regular cleaning....

Bob.. for car carrying I use a .380 with hollow points ..the .22 will stop nobody in ther tracks unless is in the head .. but is good for vermin..

For carry.. I use the .380 or .38P or 9mm...

The choice of ammo can be more important then the size of the calibre

.50 calibre is ideal for nothing..
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Personal security in your own home and outside of it start way before and go way beyond carrying a weapon. Your best defence in any situation is your awareness of what can happen, your awareness of what is likely to happen and your instinctive reaction to what does happen. A weapon is only of any consequence if all the above function correctly.

Carrying a weapon is a great responsibility and should you choose to do so you must be more willing to not become involved in confrontations than if you are not carrying.

However should you do choose to carry then make sure you spend a lot of time training with a competent instructor on all aspects not least weapons safety.

For myself I have worked with weapons and security for nearly all my adult life as have others on here. I, and they, know how we react in high tension volatile situations. The average person who chooses to arm themselves will not.

Last edited by Angry White Pyjamas; Nov 12th 2005 at 8:25 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:22 pm
Mr. Grumpy

Originally Posted by Ray
Personally.. I find wielding a shotgun indoors is difficult and cumbersome

for something solely for home protection and being hardly used a cheap Mossberg Cruiser (has pistol grip) 12g with an 18.5in barrel would suffice
this is looking like a good option based on your comments and my research today
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sorry it must be very frightening and shocking to have something like this happen so close by. My heart goes out to your neighbours partner I cannot begin to imagine how they are feeling

Annette
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:06 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
less likely have a stray bullet go through a window and kill a neighbour across the street.
when you consider what most US houses are made of they could go through several walls and still harm an innocent party.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
when you consider what most US houses are made of they could go through several walls and still harm an innocent party.
An intruder is unlikely to be more than 10ft away ..if you miss I agree ..
but to be frank its very hard to miss a target at that distance ... the use of frangible bullets will prevent that happening anyway ..As I said before ..ammo used can be more important than the calibre ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.