Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Living Costs US vs UK

Living Costs US vs UK

Old Feb 21st 2018, 1:16 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Costs US vs UK

Originally Posted by richyje7727
Morning...

I am ready for round 2 with you guys....

We are looking at Lakeway or close to.... We are looking in the Lake Travis ISD.
Lakeway???
Dude, that is NOT Austin....

Lake Travis High school is pretty good.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
timewarnerspectrum is $45 for their cheapest internet only for up to 200mbps . Depends on where you'll be living though, I don't get anywhere near that. ATT is $50 for 50mbps and if you're in the area for it (central and south) then google fiber starts at $50.
Spectrum now offers gigbit in Austin

https://newsroom.charter.com/news-vi...eight-markets/

If you are paying for 200Mbps and not seeing that then there's probably something wrong with your equipment. They typically over provision. I pay for 300Mbps and see 350 day in day out.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 3:02 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
Spectrum now offers gigbit in Austin

https://newsroom.charter.com/news-vi...eight-markets/

If you are paying for 200Mbps and not seeing that then there's probably something wrong with your equipment. They typically over provision. I pay for 300Mbps and see 350 day in day out.
They can only offer that amount of data where there is fiber. At the moment, that is definitely not all over the city ( as far as I can work out, it is where google fiber is ) and I have had the upgrade to $200mbps but since the cables or whatever to my area have not been upgraded, none of us are getting it.

Anyway the guy is going to be out in Lakeway. Mostly new build suburbs and a fair way from the city.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add, you said you'd be chauffeuring your kids around?

Will they not want to drive? As others have pointed out, you'll be doing an awful lot of driving if you're taking the kids to friends and various other things through the week/weekend. Public transport isn't exactly great (speaking generically, haven't been to Texas).
Old Feb 21st 2018, 3:42 pm
Austin. TX.

This caught my eye last night-
https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/defa...oodJan2018.pdf

apparently the "liberal" budget ( higher end) is about what I spend on food. So Pulaski's estimate is about right.