British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Living Costs US vs UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/living-costs-us-vs-uk-909516/)

richyje7727 Feb 21st 2018 12:03 am

Living Costs US vs UK

Ok, So we are thinking making a move out to Texas.

It will be myself, Wife and 3 kids.

I have been doing some research into the living costs...

We can rent out our House in London, which will pay for a rental in a good area/good school district in Austin.

General day to day spending (Milk, Bread & Groceries etc) seems to be on par or maybe slightly cheaper in Austin

Obviously Petrol is ridiculously cheap, compared to the UK.

But what are the major costs ?

Health Insurance ? I have read approx $1200 per month for the family of 5 (Me 41 years, Wife 45 years, Boy 1 15 Years, Boy 2 13 Years, Girl 3 Years) Thats a big hit from the "free" NHS we receive in the UK.

Car Insurance. How much should we budget for Car insurance ?

We will be renting so no property tax :)

What are the other costs we should be looking at ?

I have read that in general the US is cheaper to live in than London and that typically you will have more in your back pocket after everything has been paid.

Appreciate your comments ?

Thanks,

Twinkle0927 Feb 21st 2018 12:10 am

Re: Living Costs US vs UK

It's all moot unless your salary is the same as the U.K. Then it matters if things cost more here. You need to look at your take-home pay and consider the costs of things as a percentage of that. No point combating visits with the U.K. if you're not on a U.K. wage.

Have you looked into utilities? Particularly a/c running costs. You'll need that on a lot more in Texas than London.

richyje7727 Feb 21st 2018 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927 (Post 12447003)
It's all moot unless your salary is the same as the U.K. Then it matters if things cost more here. You need to look at your take-home pay and consider the costs of things as a percentage of that. No point combating visits with the U.K. if you're not on a U.K. wage.

Have you looked into utilities? Particularly a/c running costs. You'll need that on a lot more in Texas than London.

AC..... Well in London we have Gas fired boilers for heating... we dont have AC... My annual Heating and Electricity Bill is approx £1200 per year ($1680)... how does that equate ?

richyje7727 Feb 21st 2018 12:16 am

By the way I have been out to Austin to scout out the area.... so have experienced some of the costs...

Noorah101 Feb 21st 2018 12:22 am

In case folks aren't looking in other forums, the OP wants to come to the USA on an E2 visa and create a startup business. So he will be self employed, paying for his own insurance (not the cheaper route through an employer).

britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/business-through-e2-909514/

Rene

petitefrancaise Feb 21st 2018 12:23 am

I live in Austin.

sports /activities for the kids cost more especially if it's competitive level (everything is....)
you'll drive way, way more than you currently do.
electricity for the air con in the summer can be a shocker - I'm a cheapskate and have a very efficient hvac unit upstairs and mine costs $200 a month on average throughout the year. That's 3/4 months of no heating and no a/c included
water bills....

I would say that if you are on the same money then don't expect to feel better off. BUT you will probably be living in a bigger house!

petitefrancaise Feb 21st 2018 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 12447014)
In case folks aren't looking in other forums, the OP wants to come to the USA on an E2 visa and create a startup business. So he will be self employed, paying for his own insurance (not the cheaper route through an employer).

britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/business-through-e2-909514/

Rene

didin't see that one. ouch. ouch ouch.

Sign up for an online course at ACC and get your health insurance through that. Join the Austin Startups fb group for lots of friendly help and hints like that.

Noorah101 Feb 21st 2018 12:25 am

Originally Posted by richyje7727 (Post 12447007)
AC..... Well in London we have Gas fired boilers for heating... we dont have AC... My annual Heating and Electricity Bill is approx £1200 per year ($1680)... how does that equate ?

I assume you'll be renting a rather largish house, being a family of 5 with teenagers. I don't live in Austin or in a big house, but I'm sure it will be more than $1680 a year.

Rene

tom169 Feb 21st 2018 12:30 am

My fairly inefficient 3 bedroom 2 story house costs $150 plus in the summer to cool In NC.

Petrol is misleading as you'll be definitely driving more.

For the 5 of you driving I'd probably budget $4k a year until you get some more experience on a US licence.

Please note that the premium paid for your health insurance will likely not be the end of it. Google terms deductible, copay, max out of pocket.

Jerseygirl Feb 21st 2018 12:42 am

Originally Posted by richyje7727 (Post 12447007)

We lived in New Jersey...10 years ago our elec/gas bill was approx $1K+ per month.

When we moved in 1996 we quickly discovered that our annual bills in the UK...including car insurance...only paid for a month in NJ.

tom169 Feb 21st 2018 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 12447029)
We lived in New Jersey...10 years ago our elec/gas bill was approx $1K+ per month.

Holy cow :blink:

richyje7727 Feb 21st 2018 12:46 am

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12447023)

For the 5 of you driving I'd probably budget $4k a year until you get some more experience on a US licence.

Just Mum and Dad will be driving. We will be chauffeurs for the kids

tom169 Feb 21st 2018 12:47 am

Originally Posted by richyje7727 (Post 12447033)

Then I'd half that to $2k a year

petitefrancaise Feb 21st 2018 12:47 am

[QUOTE=richyje7727;12447033]

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12447023)

in that case, expect to pay $1500 for six months - and that would be a very good quote. I've just got a couple I've relocated to go through AIG. Their initial quotes were $2k for six months in a good part of austin for 2 cars. AIG got it to $1500 for six month

richyje7727 Feb 21st 2018 12:50 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12447019)
didin't see that one. ouch. ouch ouch.

Sign up for an online course at ACC and get your health insurance through that. Join the Austin Startups fb group for lots of friendly help and hints like that.

Hi Petitefrancaise... could you expand on an online course at ACC ? I have googled ACC but dont find anything relevant