Limbo!

Old Jan 16th 2019, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Limbo!

Originally Posted by Cerig1977
Crikey I bet that was a nightmare! Just being nosy by why all the secrecy?
We owned a company - which we sold to my current employer- and employed a couple of people. It wouldn't have been good to pre-empt the closure, put people out of work, and liquidate our assets, then the deal fall through. As it is, we still have friendly exchanges and Christmas cards with the people we left behind.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Cerig1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steveq
We owned a company - which we sold to my current employer- and employed a couple of people. It wouldn't have been good to pre-empt the closure, put people out of work, and liquidate our assets, then the deal fall through. As it is, we still have friendly exchanges and Christmas cards with the people we left behind.
Glad it's all worked out
Old Jan 17th 2019, 2:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cerig1977
..... My eldest son is in his final year of his GCSEs so we thought it was best to wait and like Pulaski said, start a new school year.
You might want to start another thread to ask about planning and strategies for a smooth(ish) transition of your children into the US education system. I see one immediate obstacle to be recognized and addressed - US high schools (last four years of school so the GCSE and A Level years in the UK) operate on an integrated 4 year program, so no exams to walk away with at age 16. So your son is going to need to slot in with only half the program left, and whatever school he is assigned to (based on address) may be unwilling or uncooperative in giving him much if any credit for the work he has already done, and so significantly hurt his gradings as reported when he complete high school, which in turn may impact which colleges may offer him a place.

Alternatively you might put him in a private school offering a British program (there are only a few, so it depends where you settle), or you could look for a school offering an international baccalaureate program, which I understand is similar. Anyway, if you start another thread there are others with more knowledge and experience than me, such as PetiteFrancaise and Lizzyq, who I am sure will help you by sharing their experience.