Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Life in San Diego?

Life in San Diego?

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life in San Diego?

Originally Posted by sdbritguy
Yeah I'm spoilt with my commute. Being car less I've always lived near the ocean because i work in Solana Beach and I have the public transport to rely on if I get tired of riding! Plus the areas I've lived in are more dense so getting to the shops etc., is easier on bike.

Here's a 360 degree view standing in the same spot. Torrey Pines. I laugh sometimes when I compare this to my old train commute into London

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3293/...29f8d1d9_o.jpg
Traffic didn't look as bad as that this morning
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

sdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Traffic didn't look as bad as that this morning
Haha yeah that was about 2 months ago on bike to work day. There was wreck on the 5 north.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdbritguy
Haha yeah that was about 2 months ago on bike to work day. There was wreck on the 5 north.
LOL - I did wonder why the road looked a little busier than usual...that's hubby's commute...12 mins door to door.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mongo
Steerpike: You are correct about the dress code. Fortunately when it comes to the hours that games developers work things have changed for the better recently. EA (who published the Simms games) were actually sued by a few employee's a couple of years back for being worked to the bone and it caused a bit of a stir in the whole games industry.

Most companies now realise that they need to schedule games properly so that they don't resort to working developers into the ground. You simply get better games if the team is happy and has a life outside of computer games.

For the 5 years that I worked at one company in the midlands for example I was very rarely in a situation where I had to do a lot of overtime. We also had flexitime and could go and take breaks whenever we fancied (quick trips to the canteen for a cuppa etc). As long as we got the job done on time, they didn't mind. At first I actually became a voluntary workaholic because I used to go home and carry on working; I really enjoyed creating artwork but in the end it just burnt me out and now I try and get out as much as possible. Life is too short!
I remember the lawsuits you are talking about. Actually, I shared the office building with 'Maxis', the developer of the 'Sims' before their acquisition by EA. It's true that the game industry has calmed down, but ... I'd say it's calmed down to the level of 'typical software companies in Silicon Valley' - not to the typical UK software company.

My experience with software companies here is that a) you get flex time and b) you are expected to be the one to be 'flexible' These days, I go in around noon most days to avoid traffic (and also to have a peaceful work period at home ahead of the frantic pace in the office). I then typically stay till 7 or 8pm, partly to avoid traffic, and I always check email and follow up on issues around 10pm or so. No one has ever questioned the number of hours I work, and once in a while I take an easy day at home, just making sure there are no crises. I can say that I've only had one or two completely work-free days this year (that includes weekends).

BUT - the work I do is wonderful, and I'm given complete freedom to execute my work in the manner I see fit - which is very rewarding. I'm also paid a comfortable sum of money. Hopefully, you find a job you enjoy so much that you really don't need to think about 'how many hours am I working'.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:43 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukelaine
I did 15 years of Flexi hours and loved it

On a bad day, I'd get there at 10am, lunch 12-2pm and then leave at 4pm and it was on the honor system, what you wrote down they told as being the truth.

Then on a good day, I'd be there at 7am, 1/2 an hour for lunch and stay until 6pm.

Any hours over and above, then you could take a day off !

4 weeks holiday, plus you could carry over holiday from the previous year.

Here in USA, you'd probably have to be CEO of a Company to do anything like that !
That's pretty much my setup with the exception of carrying over vacation. There is a little bit of wiggle room on that too though.

Disclaimer: I'm no CEO and it took 15 years to get the four weeks! (Two weeks at start, three at ten, four at fifteen and five at twenty. ) I generally work 0615-2:30 pm or so, but when I work longer I can take comp time and leave early or take off some other day depending on how many hours over I am.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Mongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant future

Sdbritguy: cheers for the new pic

NicDC: Thanks; you are making me feel even better about giving it a try. Sounds great over there!

ukelaine: Oh yes, flexitime can be too tempting sometimes... I was going in at 10am and leaving at 4pm for a couple of days a week then I had to make up the hours later on :S So the yard sale is the equivalent to the carboot's we have in the UK?

Steerpike: Yes that’s a good point, I know what work I would be doing and I generally enjoy it, so I think I’ll be fine. I’ll defiantly try and haggle some extra holidays - there is no harm in asking and they can just tell me to sod off if they don't want to play ball.
My friend knows an animator at the company and the report I’m getting is that they are pretty easy going and don’t get over worked. Either way, I’ll go for it and see how it pans out.

another bloody yank: Wow, sounds like you got the good holiday allowance, even if it did take you all those years! I really like the idea of getting up really early and then leaving early from work... but getting up in the mornings is not one of my strengths

Last edited by Mongo; Jul 24th 2008 at 8:56 am.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

San Diego is a town of EARLY risers !!! So Be Warned !! LOL

Even the poor school kids, some schools start as early as 7AM !!!!!

And I thought 9am or 9.30am for UK schools was a PITA

As long as you have flexi hours you're be ok, just many of the outdoor activities may start before you've even gone to bed

Even the yard sales/Boot Sales many start at 6am ! and you can have people there as early as 5am waiting for you to open up.

So, the few times I had a yard sale I just stayed up all night, as I'm a night person.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:04 am
Account Closed

Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mongo
Hello Everyone,

Ok, here’s the story…
I am faced with the possibility of being sponsored for a H1-b visa by a company in San Diego. It’s very likely that it’s too late to get the application through this year but the company has asked if I would be interested in working for them in fall 2009. So it’s probably at least a year away if it’s going to happen at all but the company seems keen enough so far.

I’m a 27-year-old single bloke and have no dependencies. I previously moved away from my hometown (Bournemouth) to live in the Midlands for 5 years but I must admit that I am both excited and scared in equal measure about the possibility of working in another country.

I would appreciate if anyone could give me his or her perspective on living in San Diego? And here are some questions off the top of my head! I might add more as they come to me.
  • How is the city for cycling/public transport? I’m guessing that I would have to rent in a location further inland to avoid the really hefty price tags but I believe the company is quite close to the coast. I would like to cycle to work and I don’t mind a long(ish) distance as long as I’m not going to get splattered by a SUV or scalped on my way through a dodgy neighbourhood or something
  • I currently don’t drive - could I make do without a car entirely? Or is that a pipe dream?
  • Is it easy to make friends? How are the ladies? I’m pretty chatty so I’m not a social cripple so I cannot imagine the cultural gap being wide enough to cause problems. Will I get funny looks when I open my mouth?
  • My previous employer in the UK gave me 28 paid holidays a year. In the US they appear to get only a fraction of this. I would like to be able to travel a bit around the USA/Canada and also come back to the UK to visit my family sometimes. I’m wondering if anyone has ever attempted to negotiate with a US company to get a few more holidays thrown into the bag? (“Oh go on, give me 21 days!… oh ok… how about 14?”). I have been a bit of a workaholic in the past and I don’t want to return to that lifestyle. What’s the point of the glorious weather if you are working through most of it?

Thanks in advance for any responses and apologies if I appear to be rambling

Cheers,
James
Hey Bournemouth is my hometown too ! I hope you like San Diego, it is a great place to live for many different types of people. You certainly won't miss all the drunken chavs fighting it out in bmuff town center.
We often visit San Diego to escape the 115 degree heat we seem to get every summer here in Phoenix. I looked into moving there but found the decent coastal areas to be too expensive, i could go inland to get cheaper but then i end up back in the desert anyway.

The vacation you get is part of your package that is supposed to be fully negotiable before hire. However in my experience whenever I try to up the vacation the company has always responded along the lines of "if we increase it for you we have to increase it for everyone".
I once had a job that allowed 24 days PTO (inludes sick days) and 11 holidays right from day one. I have never had that since. National average is 2 weeks at start with 1 additional day per year up 3 weeks by 5 years.
Many companies offer 401k and health insurance but i recommend digging in for details like insurance deductibles, maximums, co pays, 401k matching etc. I think its worth it even if you are on and H1B and think you may be here for only a couple of years, you may find yourself here a lot longer.

I would strongly recommend getting a car. Biking into work is a tough one if you want to get there alive. I recommend using google earth to plan bike routes and look for bike paths. I cycle a 12 miles commute 3 days a week with only 2 miles on a sidewalk, the rest is a dedicated off road bike path.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:08 am
Banned

Kali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond reputeKali-forniarrr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elliott
Hey Bournemouth is my hometown too ! I hope you like San Diego, it is a great place to live for many different types of people. You certainly won't miss all the drunken chavs fighting it out in bmuff town center.
We often visit San Diego to escape the 115 degree heat we seem to get every summer here in Phoenix. I looked into moving there but found the decent coastal areas to be too expensive, i could go inland to get cheaper but then i end up back in the desert anyway.

The vacation you get is part of your package that is supposed to be fully negotiable before hire. However in my experience whenever I try to up the vacation the company has always responded along the lines of "if we increase it for you we have to increase it for everyone".
I once had a job that allowed 24 days PTO (inludes sick days) and 11 holidays right from day one. I have never had that since. National average is 2 weeks at start with 1 additional day per year up 3 weeks by 5 years.
Many companies offer 401k and health insurance but i recommend digging in for details like insurance deductibles, maximums, co pays, 401k matching etc. I think its worth it even if you are on and H1B and think you may be here for only a couple of years, you may find yourself here a lot longer.

I would strongly recommend getting a car. Biking into work is a tough one if you want to get there alive. I recommend using google earth to plan bike routes and look for bike paths. I cycle a 12 miles commute 3 days a week with only 2 miles on a sidewalk, the rest is a dedicated off road bike path.
Good news, SD is currently half price. The city of San Diego is presently suing builders to stop dumping more foreclosures on the market.

I wonder if there are many people there any more? Been a while since I popped down.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ukelaine
San Diego is a town of EARLY risers !!! So Be Warned !! LOL
This is SOOO true! We are usually up by 5.30....though lately I've been up at 4am!

I also hear various neighbors leaving the house at 5.15, 5.30....
Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
This is SOOO true! We are usually up by 5.30....though lately I've been up at 4am!

I also hear various neighbors leaving the house at 5.15, 5.30....
I know the early bird catches the worm, but, I'll take what the birs leaves me !!

Guy next door to me is leaving at 3.30am to go to work !!!

My hubby has to be AT WORK by 5am.

I'm terrible even though we no longer lives together, he still gives me a wake up call, so, I get the kids to school on time.

Although he was Navy and he doesn't understand not all people are the same as him. Plus 15 years of flexi hours, is hard to get out of, well, that's my excuse.

BUT, on the plus side, when he had to go in sometimes at 2am, i was still up, at 1am, so, I could wake HIM up !! LOL
Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Mongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant future

ukelaine: Blimey, I think I might have trouble adapting to the early rise! However, my friend knows a chap who works in the company and he said they generally get in for about 10am. That's my kind of time!

Elliott: very true! I was just out in Charminster tonight and there were a couple of plonkers out looking for trouble (they seemed to spend thier night shoulder barging people That was great fun for them i'm sure, sigh! )

Ozzidoc: too early for me!

Right, i'm off to bed... i'm pissed! (hence the excessive smiley count)
Old Jul 27th 2008, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Kim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really niceKim_Abdn is just really nice

Forget DC, I really wanna move to san diego!! Those pictures look amazing!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light

To the OP;

Move, move, move to San Diego and don't look back.

You will not regret it.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield
To the OP;

Move, move, move to San Diego and don't look back.

You will not regret it.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
O there you are!!!!!

How is everything?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.