Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Life in San Diego?

Wikiposts

Life in San Diego?

Old Jul 19th 2008, 12:55 am
Just Joined

Mongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Life in San Diego?

Hi everyone, sorry for the slow reply.

MsElui, Socal Local, californian: Thanks for all for that advice and putting my mind at ease. I have decided to go for it... ah, shame it's a year away!

Ozzidoc: Thanks for your help, you must be on the way back to SD so I think I missed the boat for the phone chat The studio is located on El Camino Real, Carlsbad, CA 92009 - just south(ish) of the McClellan-Palomar Airport.

Thanks again for the helpful answers everyone.

James
Old Jul 19th 2008, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats about 5 miles from me. You'll need a car - thats not San Diego so you won't have access to the trolley system or any of the city bus services. There is a train that runs up and down the coast (imaginatively called "The Coaster") that goes from San Diego up to LA and passes through Carlsbad, but then you're reliant on public services to get from the train station to your office. There are buses, but not that many of them.

You might want to think about where you're living as well. Theres a few towns along the coast that are quite nice (Solana Beach, Cardiff, Encinitas) where you can do the "beach life" pretty easily. Solana Beach has the Belly-Up Tavern which has great live music, Cardiff has pretty much every street named after a British city and a few expats (including a British Food shop - can't live without the hobnobs). One thing you may want to avoid is living south of the I-5/I-805 junction and the Del Mar Fairgrounds. The traffic can be nightmarish, but if you chose to do that you can always take the train up (and risk getting squashed on the roads if you use a bike...)

As for the ladies, I'm married so can't comment (wife is from NJ so I dare not risk the cement boot treatment ) but the phrase "target rich environment" came out of San Diego and it hasn't changed :-)

A.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Mongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant futureMongo has a brilliant future

Thanks Alan, that's given me some more food for thought
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in the San Francisco Bay Area for 25 years and I love it. I've traveled all over the US (and beyond) and would not live anywhere else ... except ... San Diego. San Diego has the best weather in the country, bar none (no humidity, moderate climate, more sunny days than you could ever hope for), and the atmosphere is wonderful. I think, had I come here to work instead of San Francisco, I'd have been equally happy. The only slight reservation I have, compared to SF, is that SD is the home to a huge military base so you might get a bit more of a redneck/republican/'kill the enemy' flavor, but - I never really saw that on numerous visits.

Balboa Park is drop-dead gorgeous, and the re-development of the downtown area is going better than any other major city I know - puts San Francisco to shame, actually! Here's some pics I took on a recent visit.

Don't hold your breath on the vacation issue, and .... as everyone else has said - plan to get a car! But you are talking about one of the best places on EARTH, so ... if you get the opportunity, go for it!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

I'm from the San Diego area, but, further down going towards the Mexican Border.

Luckily you have a year to do a lot of research so that's good

As others have said to get around you will need a car. The transit system in most parts is pretty dismal.

It is number one for WEATHER !!

So if you are a sun worshipper you are in for a treat.

Finding somewhere to live may not be as easy, rent can be high and sharing a place you will need to be very careful.

Everything is so spread out, but, there are many great places to go to.

Holidays are not number one on the list with American Companies, when I say to people I used to go away for 3 weeks or a month on holiday you could see their jaws just hit the floor

One company here in San Diego i was with, you had to wait a YEAR before you accumulated vacation time ! Which would have caused RIOTS in England if they tried that.

You may want to start practicing your Spanish, it is the 2nd and can also be the 1st language in many areas of San Diego.

Young and single in San Diego can be great fun, but, rresearch, research and have a back up plan, just in case things don't work out when you come.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Steerpike: Those are some lovely pictures, I really want to go now. After talking to family and friends about it, everyone has been really supportive and think I should give it a try. I can always come home if I don't like it, however I have a feeling that I would enjoy it. Thanks for sharing those pictures.

ukelaine: Yes indeed, i'll have to get some good research done this year. Thanks for the advice - the weather is certainly a big draw for me because I do like getting out and about.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Mongo, just thought that you might like to know that today the weather in San Diego simply lovely.....oh that's right.....just like it is every day

Seriously, I really do believe that you have been given a great opportunity. Stick around on BE....you'll find that there really is LOADS of helpful information. You'll be amazed at the questions you'll find you desperately need answers to.....and there's bound to be at least one person on here who has an answer for you.

You've been given some great suggestions regarding places to live. How serious a cycler are you? Would a 10 mile ride to work be OK for you? If so, then maybe Solana Beach would be doable. Encinitas would be closer to your work. The main freeway is the 5. You cant cycle on the freeways. You'd be able to cycle on the 101 though, which hugs the coastline. (The 5 is approx one mile inland)
Old Jul 21st 2008, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

We live in San Diego. Taking into account your work location I would suggest Encinitas as a good desintation to live. Lots of cyling in the area.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Before you consider a cycle to work, check on the dress code for the job.

If it's casual you are ok, but, if it's suit and tie, then you are going to have to have somewhere to leave some clothing at work.

Also the longer a bike ride the bigger chance of arriving nice and sweaty for work.

Learning to drive here is not that hard, just remembering you are on the wrong side of the road, I only messed up once

Scared the heck out of my hubby

If driving, for insurance you'll be starting from scratch, even if you have driven in UK that is not taken into account when looking for coverage over here.
Luckily you are over 25, so, I believe that helps.

Just start saving big time, so you can get a car, the insurance and remember if the rate of exchange says about the same, your pound is worth double over here
Old Jul 21st 2008, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukelaine
Before you consider a cycle to work, check on the dress code for the job.

If it's casual you are ok, but, if it's suit and tie, then you are going to have to have somewhere to leave some clothing at work.
He's an artist for a computer game company ... I suspect dress code would be - "underwear essential"! I'm in SF Bay Area, and work in computers. I have not worn a tie for about 20 years. The last 4 interviews I went on, I wore a nice polo shirt (these were director level jobs) and got the jobs.

We once shared an office building with the guys who wrote "The Simms" computer game. You could always tell when one of them got in the elevator - they looked a bit like ... well ... homeless comes to mind ...!

Mind you ... DO PLEASE plan on showering on arrival at work - a lot of brits aren't ready for the heat of California and think they can get away with the same hygiene standards as back home. Californians are a bit picky about body odor and you don't want to turn them away if you are trying to make friends!

To the OP - be ready for crazy, crazy hours. These 'Simms' guys would work even crazier hours than all the other programmers I know - when I would leave at around 8 or 9pm (after a long day of my own), these guys would be having pizza delivered so they could keep going into the late evening. Once a game is 'promised' to the market, they pull out all the stops to meet that delivery date and the hours go nuts. You should expect to make LOTS of money ... just don't expect a 9-5 lifestyle ... not even close!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

sdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nice

Hi James,

I’m a 27-year-old single bloke and have no dependencies. I previously moved away from my hometown (Bournemouth) to live in the Midlands for 5 years but I must admit that I am both excited and scared in equal measure about the possibility of working in another country.
The girls will love you. The accent works wonders well it does for me

[*]How is the city for cycling/public transport? I’m guessing that I would have to rent in a location further inland to avoid the really hefty price tags but I believe the company is quite close to the coast. I would like to cycle to work and I don’t mind a long(ish) distance as long as I’m not going to get splattered by a SUV or scalped on my way through a dodgy neighbourhood or something
I don't own a car either but I do have the use of my girlfriends car when I need it. I commute daily along the coast any where from inland Oceanside down to San Diego on Hwy 101. My work commutes have ranged from 10 miles to 25 miles one way. Its certainly doable. You can always ride the Coaster or Amtrak (depending on where you live). When I was single I'd rent a car on the weekends and do a big shop, get bottled water etc., all the heavy stuff that I couldn't carry on a bicycle. The roads are wide here and there are a lot of cycle paths. In 4 years I've never been hit, come close mind you. Just assume no one has seen you. At your age I'd want to live in Carlsbad. There's a huge cycling community and nice rides up and down the coast.

Is it easy to make friends? How are the ladies? I’m pretty chatty so I’m not a social cripple so I cannot imagine the cultural gap being wide enough to cause problems. Will I get funny looks when I open my mouth?
My work is not very social outside of work. All married, kids etc. Nothing like what I've experienced back home in the UK. The ladies are smoking hot. Plenty of bars in Carlsbad. Carlsbad has a nice village atmosphere complete with a British shop. And there are apartments to rent near the beach and the village. Check Craigslist for apartment listings. If you need help let me know. The accent will work wonders, most of the time! You'll get funny looks but just speak a little slower.

My previous employer in the UK gave me 28 paid holidays a year. In the US they appear to get only a fraction of this. I would like to be able to travel a bit around the USA/Canada and also come back to the UK to visit my family sometimes. I’m wondering if anyone has ever attempted to negotiate with a US company to get a few more holidays thrown into the bag? (“Oh go on, give me 21 days!… oh ok… how about 14?”). I have been a bit of a workaholic in the past and I don’t want to return to that lifestyle. What’s the point of the glorious weather if you are working through most of it?
I'm on ten paid vacation days a year. It bites. The only way I can travel across the US is to take unpaid leave. I would seriously negotiate this with your company. Most Brits I know that relocate withing their company from the UK to the US are able to bring their holiday allowance with them. I really, really, REALLY miss the standard 4 weeks holiday. I work to much

My daily commute. 100% bike lane along the coast.

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:55 am
Just Joined

Ozzidoc: I reckon I would be fine with a 10 mile or so cycle commute. I used to cycle to work and back in the midlands and that was 8 miles one way and with huge ruddy hills too!

Vicky88: Thanks for the tip

ukelaine: Yeh, dress code in the games industry tends to be as casual as you can get so that's a plus. Thanks for the additional info; there is indeed much to think about.

Steerpike: You are correct about the dress code. Fortunately when it comes to the hours that games developers work things have changed for the better recently. EA (who published the Simms games) were actually sued by a few employee's a couple of years back for being worked to the bone and it caused a bit of a stir in the whole games industry.

Most companies now realise that they need to schedule games properly so that they don't resort to working developers into the ground. You simply get better games if the team is happy and has a life outside of computer games.

For the 5 years that I worked at one company in the midlands for example I was very rarely in a situation where I had to do a lot of overtime. We also had flexitime and could go and take breaks whenever we fancied (quick trips to the canteen for a cuppa etc). As long as we got the job done on time, they didn't mind. At first I actually became a voluntary workaholic because I used to go home and carry on working; I really enjoyed creating artwork but in the end it just burnt me out and now I try and get out as much as possible. Life is too short!

sdbritguy: That sounds awesome... I like the look of that bike trip you have to work too. I've been checking out craigslist and there are some nice places to rent and I was actually pleasantly surprised by the price ranges.

Last edited by Mongo; Jul 22nd 2008 at 6:21 am. Reason: Typo's!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

sdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mongo
sdbritguy: That sounds awesome... I like the look of that bike trip you have to work too. I've been checking out craigslist and there are some nice places to rent and I was actually pleasantly suprised by the price ranges.
Yeah I'm spoilt with my commute. Being car less I've always lived near the ocean because i work in Solana Beach and I have the public transport to rely on if I get tired of riding! Plus the areas I've lived in are more dense so getting to the shops etc., is easier on bike.

Here's a 360 degree view standing in the same spot. Torrey Pines. I laugh sometimes when I compare this to my old train commute into London

Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:50 am
Just Joined

NicDC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mongo
Hello Everyone,

Ok, here’s the story…
I am faced with the possibility of being sponsored for a H1-b visa by a company in San Diego. It’s very likely that it’s too late to get the application through this year but the company has asked if I would be interested in working for them in fall 2009. So it’s probably at least a year away if it’s going to happen at all but the company seems keen enough so far.

I’m a 27-year-old single bloke and have no dependencies. I previously moved away from my hometown (Bournemouth) to live in the Midlands for 5 years but I must admit that I am both excited and scared in equal measure about the possibility of working in another country.

I would appreciate if anyone could give me his or her perspective on living in San Diego? And here are some questions off the top of my head! I might add more as they come to me.
  • How is the city for cycling/public transport? I’m guessing that I would have to rent in a location further inland to avoid the really hefty price tags but I believe the company is quite close to the coast. I would like to cycle to work and I don’t mind a long(ish) distance as long as I’m not going to get splattered by a SUV or scalped on my way through a dodgy neighbourhood or something
  • I currently don’t drive - could I make do without a car entirely? Or is that a pipe dream?
  • Is it easy to make friends? How are the ladies? I’m pretty chatty so I’m not a social cripple so I cannot imagine the cultural gap being wide enough to cause problems. Will I get funny looks when I open my mouth?
  • My previous employer in the UK gave me 28 paid holidays a year. In the US they appear to get only a fraction of this. I would like to be able to travel a bit around the USA/Canada and also come back to the UK to visit my family sometimes. I’m wondering if anyone has ever attempted to negotiate with a US company to get a few more holidays thrown into the bag? (“Oh go on, give me 21 days!… oh ok… how about 14?”). I have been a bit of a workaholic in the past and I don’t want to return to that lifestyle. What’s the point of the glorious weather if you are working through most of it?

Thanks in advance for any responses and apologies if I appear to be rambling

Cheers,
James
I moved to San Diego from Scotland in 2006 and love it! A very easy city to get used to, so much to do and great outdoors life style.

My husband and I are over here on L1/L2 Intercompany transfer visas - initially going to be here for 7 years but we love it so much, we've asked my husband's company to sponsor green cards/permanent residency for us. I work for a US company. I had to wait 3 months before I could apply for a work permit over here before I could apply for a job, but could work for any company. I dropped from having 25 days holiday in the UK, to just 12 here, so that's hard, especially if you want to visit the UK.

Wages are generally higher than the UK, and housing costs are relative to that. Stay away from the coastline and Downtown and you'll get great prices. You can generally get most places in San Diego within 20 minutes - but can't get anywhere without a car, as train services are limited. House prices are falling every month, so it's a great time to buy and great deals on new homes in the South and North inland areas of the county. The banks don't consider any UK credit history, and everything is run by credit cards here, so make sure you get a secured credit card, Electicity account, cable account etc as soon as you arrive, as you need a few years of US credit history before they will consider you for a good mortgage rate.

Year round sunshine, average of 21 degrees and no rain between March - September makes it a great place to live, and makes the residents happier. It's such a diverse county, you can surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon (skiing is within a 2 hour drive). You can just about do any outdoor activity imaginable, great choice of watersports, climbing, biking, auto racing, horse riding, etc etc. There are shops everywhere, and great services - clothes and restaurants are so cheap - half the price of the UK!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

I did 15 years of Flexi hours and loved it

On a bad day, I'd get there at 10am, lunch 12-2pm and then leave at 4pm and it was on the honor system, what you wrote down they told as being the truth.

Then on a good day, I'd be there at 7am, 1/2 an hour for lunch and stay until 6pm.

Any hours over and above, then you could take a day off !

4 weeks holiday, plus you could carry over holiday from the previous year.

Here in USA, you'd probably have to be CEO of a Company to do anything like that !

Stores are open long hours, you may find depending where you live far less people walk anywhere. But, then you will find that the gym's are full !

Tax is NOT included in the price of items, so, you have to get used to adding on more money when you buy something, that took me a while.

If money is tight there are a lot of 2nd hand stores and several large markets that sell used items, I suppose you could call them HUGE boot sales.

Here they also have garage sales/ Yard sales, where people sell their own stuff right outside their own house, normally on a Saturday or Sunday, so that's different.

Remember many electrical items may not work over here, so, stop buying those things now, until you check.

I left most electrical items behind, but, for some unknown reason brought my mum's sewing machine (I don't sew), finally sold it at a yard sale several years later !! LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.