Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Life is hard out here !!

Life is hard out here !!

Old Sep 21st 2003, 3:06 pm
Here and Loving it

mark19964 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life is hard out here !!

Well I had to post this one for all the gloom merchants back in old blighty, give 'em something to moan about.

Just filled up my Ford Experdition( Eddie Bauer) 5.4ltr, it cost me $38.00 for 25.00 gallons - man that is expensive compared to England - dont you think.

Went to the local Walmart store and bought 4.5lb of ground(Arabica bean) coffee for the staggeringly expensive price of $3.75

Oh and I treated myself for my recent bitrthday to a new tv, its a Toshiba 16.9 projection TV with 42" screen and surround sound, dolby etc it cost me $1,100 and that was after I'd driven the price down from $1,545. My poor brother back in the UK had paid over $2,480 for his Sony projection TV.

My Marlboros cost $2.85, they piss themselves with laughter in the local diner when I explained your paying $6.80 back in the UK, I wont tell you of there reaction when I explained the cost of petrol in the UK.

My job, which I start on Monday has full health benefits from day one, all paid for in my case. I have to pay to cover my wife and 2 girls, but in fairness that will be the same rate as my N.I was in the UK, but at least they wont have to wait 4 hours for treatment.

And finally looked at our future house today, just round the corner from Lake Norman, its only 4 bed and 2.5 baths, 2 car garage measuring 21 feet by 18.5 feet, has only half an acre of land, and its floor space is only 2,595 sq feet, oh yeah the important fact - the price - yours for £121,000, yes that is pounds not dollars.

As you can see life is hard and Im really struggling to see why we wanted to leave England as my family watch hot air ballons going overhead and a blues band playing in the back ground on a hot sunday evening - but I guess there will be those of you who'd rather watch inspector morse back in the UK as the weather gets duller.

Yes Life is hard in the US, that is - hard not to enjoy it.

Mark
Old Sep 21st 2003, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

PaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant futurePaulK has a brilliant future

Mark,
I agree completely. The secret is to appreciate these things every day, and to focus on them, not the negatives. I don't think we realise how ripped off we are until we see life here.
Cheers,
Paul.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 3:39 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by PaulK
Mark,
I agree completely. The secret is to appreciate these things every day, and to focus on them, not the negatives. I don't think we realise how ripped off we are until we see life here.
Cheers,
Paul.
I couldn't be happier anywhere else! Nostalgia makes me long for home... but I could never live there.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 4:24 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Mark, you lucky bugger! I really miss the States...I haven't been for 2 months and I really get pangs for it sometimes. I really miss driving in my girlfriend's Jeep Wrangler with the top down and playing music really loud. I miss the long hot days of summer (and the nights). I miss the whole outdoors culture, and having barbeques in the park. I just miss the whole atmosphere of the US, and although I love England and London I know that my future is in the US. I'm getting very frustrated at not being there, particularly as I had planned to be there by this summer. Now all I have to look forward to is learning to drive in the Connecticut snow!
Old Sep 21st 2003, 5:54 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life is hard out here !!

Hey Mark Bucket,

Thank God your not materialistic and your happiness and the happiness of others is not dependent on having bigger and better possessions.

Thank the Lord you don't measure your success on what you have rather than counting your blessings that you and family are healthy and fed.

Praise Be that you don't think people will think you are better than them because you have a bigger car or garage or more acreage!

Don’t you just pity those poor mother****ers that just wake up every day and are happy that they just have a roof over their head and food in their bellies, I am talking about Americans as well as others. Those dumb bastards!

You have been truly blessed, yet you are not thankful! Luckily for you Pride (lack of Humility) and Avarice are not 2 of the 7 deadly sins!

Patrick

Originally posted by mark19964
Well I had to post this one for all the gloom merchants back in old blighty, give 'em something to moan about.

Just filled up my Ford Experdition( Eddie Bauer) 5.4ltr, it cost me $38.00 for 25.00 gallons - man that is expensive compared to England - dont you think.

Went to the local Walmart store and bought 4.5lb of ground(Arabica bean) coffee for the staggeringly expensive price of $3.75

Oh and I treated myself for my recent bitrthday to a new tv, its a Toshiba 16.9 projection TV with 42" screen and surround sound, dolby etc it cost me $1,100 and that was after I'd driven the price down from $1,545. My poor brother back in the UK had paid over $2,480 for his Sony projection TV.

My Marlboros cost $2.85, they piss themselves with laughter in the local diner when I explained your paying $6.80 back in the UK, I wont tell you of there reaction when I explained the cost of petrol in the UK.

My job, which I start on Monday has full health benefits from day one, all paid for in my case. I have to pay to cover my wife and 2 girls, but in fairness that will be the same rate as my N.I was in the UK, but at least they wont have to wait 4 hours for treatment.

And finally looked at our future house today, just round the corner from Lake Norman, its only 4 bed and 2.5 baths, 2 car garage measuring 21 feet by 18.5 feet, has only half an acre of land, and its floor space is only 2,595 sq feet, oh yeah the important fact - the price - yours for £121,000, yes that is pounds not dollars.

As you can see life is hard and Im really struggling to see why we wanted to leave England as my family watch hot air ballons going overhead and a blues band playing in the back ground on a hot sunday evening - but I guess there will be those of you who'd rather watch inspector morse back in the UK as the weather gets duller.

Mark
Old Sep 21st 2003, 7:53 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

The day has come when I have to agree with Patrick.

The US is like most countries full of poor people who cannot afford the house, TV or even your coffee beans.

Sure, if you get a good job here then you will be better of than in the UK with the exception of some of the larger more expensice US cities.

But the reality for most people is that they struggle, have two jobs, have no or little health care and simple live hand to mouth.

So I congratulate you on your material success. I also am in the same position but I often feel that as a result I need to do more to help others. So that's what I do.

Patrick - end of agreement!
Old Sep 21st 2003, 8:59 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

F**k me I actually agree with him as well :scared:
That's probably one of the most pompous posts i've seen on here

In my opinion aside from the house and luxury items he mentioned a lot of stuff here is not that much cheaper. In fact I find that food is way more expensive here than Britain.

A pint of lager is about the same price and is bloody smaller.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 9:40 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Oh!! Come on Gentlemen...Mark has only just arrived and is still in a state of culture shock..we all know it will pass very quickly... and lets be honest we all said similar thing when we first arrived.. he just sound to me like a man who is very proud of what he has got... And ain't we all in our own way!!

And a bit of pity for the poor bastard, he has only got a 42in TV..
Old Sep 21st 2003, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

ctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the roughctwickman is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by tony_2003
In my opinion aside from the house and luxury items he mentioned a lot of stuff here is not that much cheaper. In fact I find that food is way more expensive here than Britain.

A pint of lager is about the same price and is bloody smaller.

It's ignorant for some of you guys to talk like this, and I see way too much of it on this board.

Don't you guys realize that things like road conditions, cost-of-living, driving habits, food prices, and almost everything else cost or behavior related in America differs from region to region, if not state to state? You can't say things like lager are more expensive in "America" than in the UK because someone who lives in Wisconsin or Missouri would definetly disagree with you.

The same goes for the gent that started this thread. North Carolina happens to be one of the cheapest, sprawliest (need to drive everywhere), undeveloped (lack of public transport or even basic things like buried powerlines or street lights on major interstates like I-40 in Raleigh) places in America to live. I'm sure he would be singing a different tune if his life was in San Francisco.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 10:13 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ctwickman
You can't say things like lager are more expensive in "America" than in the UK because someone who lives in Wisconsin or Missouri would definetly disagree with you.
No but I can guarentee it is a smaller pint here
Old Sep 21st 2003, 10:43 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

And with full all-singing all-dancing health coverage I still had a four hour wait for treatment when I broke my ankle last year.

BTW Mark, please learn the difference between there/their and your/you're.

Pedant and proud of it.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Mark,
Glad to see you are enjoying your life out here, seems like it was the right move for you
Cheers
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 1:01 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
Oh!! Come on Gentlemen...Mark has only just arrived and is still in a state of culture shock..we all know it will pass very quickly... and lets be honest we all said similar thing when we first arrived.. he just sound to me like a man who is very proud of what he has got... And ain't we all in our own way!!

And a bit of pity for the poor bastard, he has only got a 42in TV..
This is his second time around, he lived here for 10 years, went back to London and decided to move back, this is not excuberance or culture shock it is a complete lack of humility, class and graditude.

Mark is Mr Bling Bling thats all

Patrick
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Mark
Yes, but the UK has Harry Potter!
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 1:55 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>
Mark
Mark's certainly got into the material aspect of American life. If that's what makes him happy, so be it.

Hope he likes "keeping up with the Jones's" though...

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.