Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Let or Lease

Let or Lease

Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of
Default Let or Lease

I saw a sign the other day while in Houston saying

"For Rent OR Lease", now I always thought they were the same, any thoughts?

Only reason I ask is that my estate agent is going looking at houses for us to "Lease"
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:12 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let or Lease

Originally Posted by Jmaster911

Only reason I ask is that my estate agent is going looking at houses for us to "Lease"
hmmm

that flummoxes me and makes me feel dim since its my business...

maybe rent means month to month and lease means for a year?
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

They are probably trying to say that they will rent month-to-month or let you sign a longer-term lease. As I'm sure BritGuy knows, many landlords only offer 1 year leases, and thats a problem for people who move frequently.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jmaster911

Think of renting or leasing a car ...
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
They are probably trying to say that they will rent month-to-month or let you sign a longer-term lease. As I'm sure BritGuy knows, many landlords only offer 1 year leases, and thats a problem for people who move frequently.
Yup, especially with it being winter, most landlords want someone who will stay over the winter period...usually get to rent monthly after a years lease if you don't re-sign, which is what we're doing at the moment, not really by choice, more because the landlord is a lazy git and never brought a new lease for us to sign
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

Also I have seen lease to mean lease to buy, so you pay off a bit each month like rent, but that amount come off if you decide to buy. Our house is like that. So it was advertised as a Rent or lease option.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:56 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
not really by choice, more because the landlord is a lazy git and never brought a new lease for us to sign
guilty as charged