Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ITIN , What to do?

ITIN , What to do?

Old Jan 7th 2008, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Jholmes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ITIN , What to do?

I finally got the SSN for my children after receiving our green card.

When I file my tax return this year ,and will be claiming them as my dependent , do I still use the ITIN or the new SSN ?

Also, do I need to inform the IRS about my children SSN before filing the tax?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 1:05 am

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ITIN , What to do?

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1915.pdf

Page 18

What steps do I have to take when I have an ITIN and become eligible for a Social Security Number?

Make proper application for a SSN and upon receipt advise the IRS ITIN Unit in writing of your new SSN. The new SSN will become the primary number and must be used for all future filing purposes. The IRS will void the ITIN. All prior tax information under the ITIN will be associated with the new SSN

You can contact the ITIN office by calling 1-215-516-4846.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mdyoung View Post
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1915.pdf

Page 18

What steps do I have to take when I have an ITIN and become eligible for a Social Security Number?

Make proper application for a SSN and upon receipt advise the IRS ITIN Unit in writing of your new SSN. The new SSN will become the primary number and must be used for all future filing purposes. The IRS will void the ITIN. All prior tax information under the ITIN will be associated with the new SSN

You can contact the ITIN office by calling 1-215-516-4846.

Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

I have read that I should send a copy of my children social security card to the IRS ITIN unit for the ITIN to be revoked. But according to the social security card note; for children under 12 , the card should not be signed?? Is it safe to send a copy of unsigned SS card?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Jholmes View Post
I have read that I should send a copy of my children social security card to the IRS ITIN unit for the ITIN to be revoked. But according to the social security card note; for children under 12 , the card should not be signed?? Is it safe to send a copy of unsigned SS card?
I would contact the ITIN office to be sure of what needs to be done. If they need to see a copy of the SSN card they might let you fax it.

As far as it being safe to send a copy of the unsigned card, I would say it's as safe as sending anything through the mail.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

When my wife and I lived outside of the US, I had an ITIN number which we used for the tax return.

When we moved back to the States, I got my GC and SSN - which I stated on the return. Didn't tell anyone anything about the ITIN - Don't think it really matters.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jholmes View Post
I really wouldn't fancy sending my childs Social Security Card off.......no telling when you might get it back.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725 View Post
I really wouldn't fancy sending my childs Social Security Card off.......no telling when you might get it back.
He said COPY of the card. Of course he shouldn't sent the actual card.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Correction :According to the social security card note; for children ; signed the card only when they are 18 years old or first job which ever comes first.

I just read in this morning paper that IRS is not doing enough to protect the taxpayer from indentity fraud, this makes me feel uneasy to send anything unsigned to them especially when it is about my children lives and future.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Personally, I'd just forget about it mate - just file using their new SSN's.