Leg room

Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:16 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Leg room

I'm sure there was a discussion of this somewhere, but can't find it. After 6 long years (don't ask), I'm finally able to take a trip back to the UK at the end of March. I'm going with my 4-year-old so space and on-board amusements are crucial.

So, question is, what's the best airline to go on. AA says it has extra legroom. True? Which ones have little TVs in the seat backs? Which (if any, after 9/11) are most relaxed and child-friendly? There's no question of going business class, unfortunately, just the cheap seats for us.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

lins77 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Leg room

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
I'm sure there was a discussion of this somewhere, but can't find it. After 6 long years (don't ask), I'm finally able to take a trip back to the UK at the end of March. I'm going with my 4-year-old so space and on-board amusements are crucial.

So, question is, what's the best airline to go on. AA says it has extra legroom. True? Which ones have little TVs in the seat backs? Which (if any, after 9/11) are most relaxed and child-friendly? There's no question of going business class, unfortunately, just the cheap seats for us.

I've only flown with AA once but it did seem to have the extra leg room - it also had the back seat TV but the films weren't up to much - I don't think I'd heard of one of them.

The best entertainment I've had were on Virgin and BMI. They both had lots of films, TV and computer games. Virign had hardly any leg room though.

The worst entertainment were KLM and Lufthansa - no back seat TVs!

I've also flown United and Continental - both had average leg room, back seat TVs and average entertainment.

I don't have any kids, though, so I can't comment on how they are for children.

Lindsey
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:50 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

I've only been transatlantic with:

BA, Virgin Atlantic, Continental and AA.
These were all to/from Newark, NJ.

In economy AA definitely had more legroom - but I did hear that they're now going to put more seats back in economy on some routes. Unfortunately the AA planes didn't have seatback televisions. Boo.

The worst for legroom was Continental *and* no individual televisions. Boo

2nd worse was BA on the 777 planes. Their economy seating is a disgrace and is cramped on all of their planes - but they did have tv's and I was lucky to be upgraded to economy plus on the return leg with my sonas the flight was overbooked; these seats are the old business class seats - which were 'scrapped' in Biz class when they brought in the flat beds - and loads of leg room. I always try to look reasonably smart when I fly - if you wear jeans you have next to no chance of a free upgrade.

Virgin Atlantic is tops on service; if you're on an airbus I think the seats are more spacious (and I luckily got an emergency aisle seat on the outgoing flight). On the return flight I was on a 747 (jumbo jet) and definitely less room than on the airbus. I did hear that Virgin has charged up to $75 extra at check in for people who want emergency exit seats! I was lucky I think as I was (then ) a silver card holder and travelling on airlmiles - I did hear that when emergency seats are allocated they often give preference to the frequent flyers - but sadly I've been relegated to the basic red ff card!

Try for the bulkhead seats on any airline as you won't get an emergency seat if travelling with a child. To be honest, in my opinion the American air crews tend to be older and often have little patience, they don't like it if you ask for a cup of tea during the flight but the Brit crews seem to be more amenable. However, it really comes down to the particular crew on the day of the flight, some are great and others can be miserable.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 11:57 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say say I like AA and BA the best. United come a close third but I dislike Air Canada and a couple of others that remain shameless.

I found AA good, they have the tv's in the back of the seat and at least one kid friendly film and a kid channel full of cartoons. The films weren't too bad last time I flew, I remember my wife watched Blue Crush and I watched a clint eastwood film. I just saw blue crush and I think I made the wrong decision on the plane.

Patrick

Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:08 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

It does seem then with some of the US airlines that it's 'hit and miss' whether or not you get a seatback TV!

Obviously if planes have to go in for maintenance they sometimes have to substitute them with planes with a slightly different configuration.

I remember one long, long flight to the Uk with my son. He had taken almost all of his flights with Singapore Airlines to London and within Asia, and as we used to have a company travel allowance we decided to economise and take a non-direct flight so there was more money 'in the kitty' to go on trips to Australia, Hong Kong etc.

We took the shuttle up to Kuala Lumpur and a Malaysian Airlines flight to London. My son was soooo miserable throughout the flight - he was used to the seatback TV's with 12 channels plus a choice of Nintendo games. On this particular flight there was nothing - and he moaned non-stop for 14 hours.. there is absolutely nothing worse than a whining kid (Thank goodness there was a tv on the return flight!).

If taking little ones, it's best to take a bag of 'goodies' to pull out from time to time, eg. colouring book, mini etch-a-sketch etc. Here's a nice site set up by some Kiwis:

http://www.flyingwithkids.com
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:11 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
I have to say say I like AA and BA the best. United come a close third but I dislike Air Canada and a couple of others that remain shameless.

I found AA good, they have the tv's in the back of the seat and at least one kid friendly film and a kid channel full of cartoons. The films weren't too bad last time I flew, I remember my wife watched Blue Crush and I watched a clint eastwood film. I just saw blue crush and I think I made the wrong decision on the plane.

Patrick

Well, thanks to all. Next question is which airline is going to ply me with alcohol so that I survive 8 hours on a plane with a four-year-old. Or do I slip him a G&T? (Just joking, don't anyone get upset.)
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:23 am

Grrrrr - the US airlines actually charge in economy for alcoholic drinks! $5 a pop!

You still get free wine etc. with meals and other free alcoholic drinks on Virgin and BA. (I think British Midland still possibly flies from Chicago but I have no idea what this airline is like).i
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:27 am

Originally posted by Englishmum
Grrrrr - the US airlines actually charge in economy for alcoholic drinks! $5 a pop!

You still get free wine etc. with meals and other free alcoholic drinks on Virgin and BA. (I think British Midland still possibly flies from Chicago but I have no idea what this airline is like).i

British Midland still flies from here, and is supposed to be good, but it goes to Manchester, whereas I'm going to be staying in Winchester so Heathrow is a lot more convenient.

$5 a drink! Let's see, that's about 4 per hour multiplied by 7.5, um, no it doesn't bear thinking about!
Old Feb 19th 2004, 12:59 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

So the best idea seems to be, take your own booze and buy your son a gameboy.

I flew Delta out of Atlanta a few months back. It was so bad I am never flying on Delta again.
The food was disgusting, it was cramped, no back seat tvs but it was only $4 a drink.

Hell the pre dinner "moist hot towel" was one of those little instant pre packed wipes. I laughed at the trollydolly.

She said she was sorry but all airlines were cutting back to save costs.

Somehow I don't belive it..

I'm flying over In April for the Army / Navy rugby game at Twickers. This time i'm going AA first class I have a pass
Old Feb 19th 2004, 1:14 am
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

AA has lots of leg roam in coach. some planes provide small screens though not all unlike BA long haul. AA is also prone to delays and cancellations.

BA business is better than AA business. No games in AA. only movies and they might give you a portable DVD which is cumbersome and the cords are a nuisance.

i think AA offer more miles than BA in general
Old Feb 19th 2004, 1:52 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Cathay have permission to fly NY Heathrow so hopefully you lot will be getting some real service soon. Cathay and Singapore airlines make US airlines and BA look rude.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you do.. don't fly with *****ing Continental!!!

We complained after a shit flight (24 hours to cross the atlantic) and the *****ers offered us a voucher for another flight with continental!?!?!?! Figure that!?!?!

I will never flying with the bastards again and point everybody else know away from them.

Not that I'm bitter!
Old Feb 19th 2004, 2:28 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CitySimon
Whatever you do.. don't fly with *****ing Continental!!!

We complained after a shit flight (24 hours to cross the atlantic) and the *****ers offered us a voucher for another flight with continental!?!?!?! Figure that!?!?!

I will never flying with the bastards again and point everybody else know away from them.

Not that I'm bitter!
You annoy me so much, you can never come out and just say what you feel, you always have to beat around the bush and flower everything up. You really must learn to be more direct Simon.

Patrick

ps if your a scouser tell your wife its a joke

Last edited by Patrick; Feb 19th 2004 at 2:31 am.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Already told her Patrick.

My previous comment was based upon past experiences with Continental!!

Without going into any details... from Manchester to Newark, NJ... 27 hours inbound, 24 hours back, 1 crash landing, 3 planes!!!

Need I say more!!
Old Feb 19th 2004, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Patrick
ps if your a scouser tell your wife its a joke
Not a scouser but I am a Woollyback, From a Scouser point of view (not Welsh).

I suppose that Dave F has three incarnations now does he?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.