British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Leaving UK for USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/leaving-uk-usa-893970/)

Pulaski May 4th 2017 7:47 pm

Re: Leaving UK for USA

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12244957)
Omg - maybe I can break that up a little or do on weekend combined with a trip somewhere

Nah, it's one 5hr block, but you might want to look into doing the road test while taking a long weekend.

Facing a ten week wait for a road test slot in White Plains, I looked progressively further north and west across the state looking for a shorter waiting time, and found a slot the next week in Herkimer. :)

LouisB May 11th 2017 7:22 pm

Hey, got my SSN so can proceed with this (DL)

Think I first need to apply for provisional, a learner permit, giving me a leaner permit card and form of ID (multiple choice test, eye test, fee)

After I get that, I could apply for actual test.

Quick question on that, in the UK I'm used to a manual (stick) - will I be causing additional complexity to try apply for that in the US given the high affinity with autos?

When I apply, I'm applying for the category or class D for a regular domestic driving license?

Pulaski May 11th 2017 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12250817)
.... Quick question on that, in the UK I'm used to a manual (stick) - will I be causing additional complexity to try apply for that in the US given the high affinity with autos? ....

In the US there is no such thing as an auto-only license - a drivers license is a drivers license. ..... Learn in an automatic, take your test in an automatic, and your license is fully valid for a car with a manual transmission! :blink: In any case I wouldn't recommend trying to take a test in a manual because you will likely be reflexively reaching for the door handle, not the gear lever - it took about six months to totally break myself of the habit. :lol:

Unless the process has changed you will need to have taken the 5hr classroom training before you can book the road test. There will likely be someone at the place where you take the training who will sign you up for a local road test. ..... Or you can leave and book your own test anywhere in the state.

dj6372 May 12th 2017 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12250828)
:blink: In any case I wouldn't recommend trying to take a test in a manual because you will likely be reflexively reaching for the door handle, not the gear lever - it took about six months to totally break myself of the habit. :lol:

I have been driving here for a year and a half................. so this morning I put some shopping in the trunk, and walked round to the passenger door to get in and drive off, I pretended to look in the glove box in case anyone saw me!

Pulaski May 12th 2017 10:42 am

Originally Posted by dj6372 (Post 12251191)
I have been driving here for a year and a half................. so this morning I put some shopping in the trunk, and walked round to the passenger door to get in and drive off, I pretended to look in the glove box in case anyone saw me!

I've done that a Iot longer than 18 months after I arrived. :o

lizzyq May 12th 2017 11:29 am

Originally Posted by dj6372 (Post 12251191)

My excuse is sometimes I'm the passenger, other times the driver, but yes I still do it.

LouisB May 13th 2017 2:30 pm

Learn in auto then drive anything? That's kinda crazy but ok, makes it easier for me.

I'm certain you're right, I'll be changing gears via the drivers door for some time 🤦‍♂️

Someone said to me the booked a rental to get acclimatised before the test, taking that car to the test area, which sounds like a good idea. Other than remembering specific US rules that I need to brush up on, not being a little familiar with car and roads likely to be the one thing to throw me out a little bit... especially if test is in a super busy city not a quiet town.

Should be fun, once we're a little settled in our apartment I'll get straight on it. We just got the keys so much to do to make it comfortable first, furniture will help 😂. Looking forward to driving again and taking some road trips to explore out of the city 😄

Then I want to pick back up flying helicopters. However need the car to get to airfield... no helipad on the roof of this building 😬

Pulaski May 13th 2017 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12251974)
Learn in auto then drive anything? That's kinda crazy but ok, makes it easier for me.

I'm certain you're right, I'll be changing gears via the drivers door for some time. .....

At least nobody can see you pointlessly stamping your left foot on the bulkhead! :lol:

dj6372 May 14th 2017 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12252007)
At least nobody can see you pointlessly stamping your left foot on the bulkhead! :lol:

I was a lazy auto driver in the UK, but still found myself doing the left foot dance, especially approaching roundabouts!
Or when I drove a works car the total opposite, approaching a junction, still in top gear, engine rattling and pinking as I tried to pull away still in top!

We have a vacation in UK in June, went straight for the auto option on the rental, I wonder how many times I will be 'checking' the glovebox?