British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Leaving UK for USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/leaving-uk-usa-893970/)

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 2:13 pm

Leaving UK for USA

Hey,

So as per previous thread, we got visas and passports back. Arranged a start date of next Mon 20th, very excited.

Since this is the fist time I've travelled to US on business under a visa, can I double check my understanding.

During flight I fill in the CBP form, putting business as primary purpose.
Although I'll carry some cash $ it will be less than $10k so I don't need to declare this.

At US airport I'll need to join a queue for visa holders and speak with CBP agent, who hopefully will stamp my passport for I-94

That stamp will have a class and leave by date which I must check and ensure covers my whole stay.

That's it at the airport? Other than providing my passport with visa that's it?

Later on I visit gov website and download my I-94 record and supply to the new employer on first day along with my passport documents I ordered to complete an I-9

Oh and on leaving I hand back the existing I-94 somehow, it tears off of passport, so they know I've left?

Did I miss anything important out, tiny but nervous to overlook anything 😬

Edit, update to say visa is E2

SanDiegogirl Mar 16th 2017 2:49 pm

Re: Leaving UK for USA

What visa are you moving under?

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12206104)
What visa are you moving under?

Hi,

E2 visa

I hope I understand the process.

I'm there for a week to get started under US rules then coming back for a few weeks to finalise UK 'stuff' and vacate property ready for rental before coming back to US 'permenantly'

Hence asking about process to leave correctly too, as until we're back properly my first visit is a short one and a learning curve too.

Pulaski Mar 16th 2017 3:21 pm

You're not entering for "business", it's to take up employment, for which you have a visa.

Also, most airports divide arriving passengers between USCs and "everyone else" (it seems to vary which line permanent residents are assigned to), so unless you see a clear sign otherwise, or are directed by a CBP officer managing the queues, you should join the "everyone else" queue.

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12206126)
You're not entering for "business", it's to take up employment, for which you have a visa.

Also, most airports divide arriving passengers between USCs and "everyone else" (it seems to vary which line permanent residents are assigned to), so unless you see a clear sign otherwise, or are directed by a CBP officer managing the queues, you should join the "everyone else" queue.

Ok thanks, so on this form 6059B https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-cbp/traveler-entry-form

I should not put business?

Also on this form I don't put down cash $ carried less than $10k right?

Pulaski Mar 16th 2017 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12206139)
Ok thanks, so on this form 6059B https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-...ler-entry-form

I should not put business?

Also on this form I don't put down cash $ carried less than $10k right?

Check box 10? .... Good question, I am not sure, but I think I would put "no" because to me business means meeting clients, sales visits, head office meetings, etc, not coming for a job.

Maybe that's just me? :unsure:

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12206159)
Check box 10? .... Good question, I am not sure, but I think I would put "no" because to me business means meeting clients, sales visits, head office meetings, etc, not coming for a job.

Maybe that's just me? :unsure:

Hmmm I'm unsure too. It's business right, since that's why I'm going, not a holiday...

Pulaski Mar 16th 2017 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12206167)
Hmmm I'm unsure too. It's business right, since that's why I'm going, not a holiday...

I'm not sure it matters either way - they don't seem to pay a whole lot of attention to most of that form's questions, and in any case Q10 is trumped by your visa.

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12206181)
I'm not sure it matters either way - they don't seem to pay a whole lot of attention to most of that form's questions, and in any case Q10 is trumped by your visa.

Ok, think I'll put business to be safe since it's clearly not a holiday and if told otherwise downgrade it at the airport.

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 4:08 pm

Do I have the I-94 process right?

Other than arriving with CBP form and passport with visa are they expecting anything else from me at point of entry?

tom169 Mar 16th 2017 4:11 pm

You don't need to hand in your I-94 when leaving the country as you'll be flying and so have an electronic I-94 that will automatically update.

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12206192)
You don't need to hand in your I-94 when leaving the country as you'll be flying and so have an electronic I-94 that will automatically update.

Ahah great, so I arrive, present passport, check stamp says E2 and right end date before leaving the CBP area and then later go online and download the I-94 record, that's literally it?

tom169 Mar 16th 2017 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12206197)
Ahah great, so I arrive, present passport, check stamp says E2 and right end date before leaving the CBP area and then later go online and download the I-94 record, that's literally it?

Yeah. The only things I've used my I-94 for is driving licence and social security.

You'll probably use an I-94 as proof when filling out an I-9.

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12206208)
Yeah. The only things I've used my I-94 for is driving licence and social security.

You'll probably use an I-94 as proof when filling out an I-9.

Yes I've been told I need it for I-9 when I arrive.

Ok so sounds like there's nothing to it then.

I'll apply for SSN later.

And as for driving license, hadn't occurred to me do I need to do something with my UK license, it's been fine for holidays but living in the US?

tom169 Mar 16th 2017 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12206222)
Yes I've been told I need it for I-9 when I arrive.

Ok so sounds like there's nothing to it then.

I'll apply for SSN later.

And as for driving license, hadn't occurred to me do I need to do something with my UK license, it's been fine for holidays but living in the US?

Each state varies. When you take up residency here then there will be some amount of time allowed on your UK licence, but after that you must get a state licence.

This will likely include a driving test - computer and practical.

Wibblypig Mar 16th 2017 4:42 pm

Unless things have changed in the last couple of years I had to show the I-797 at passport control when entering on a work visa. I would recommend to take all your paperwork in your hand luggage just in case. One time I was grilled and had to present just about everything but my bra size!

Nutmegger Mar 16th 2017 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12206222)

Think you are moving to NYS? It's 30 days leeway to obtain a license:

https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/moving-new-york

Pulaski Mar 16th 2017 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12206315)
Think you are moving to NYS? It's 30 days leeway to obtain a license:

https://dmv.ny.gov/more-info/moving-new-york

He probably won't get his road test done within 30 days, but he should do the written test and mandatory classroom education done, and get his road test booked within 30 days. Then carry supporting documentation and be prepared in the, hopefully unlikely, event that he is stopped by the police.

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12206319)
He probably won't get his road test done within 30 days, but he should do the written test and mandatory classroom education done, and get his road test booked within 30 days. Then carry supporting documentation and be prepared in the, hopefully unlikely, event that he is stopped by the police.

I am moving to NY but under E2 no green card so license is required later if I become US resident?

Pulaski Mar 16th 2017 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12206356)
I am moving to NY but under E2 no green card so license is required later if I become US resident?

There are different, often wildly different definitions of "resident", and if you buy/ rent a (primary) home, have a job, obtain an SSN, register a vehicle, put a child in school, etc., you are "resident" for the purposes of needing a local drivers license. :nod:

Please don't let anyone persuade you otherwise as you will only find out that you have a problem when you're involved in an accident, when the police will declare your UK license invalid, which will void your insurance, so not only are you on the hook for any damage or injuries you caused, but you won't even have the insurer's lawyers to manage things for you, and the police can prosecute you for driving without a valid license and without insurance. :eek:

The driver licensing process and test is an utter joke, embarrassingly easy (treat the test seriously, but it won't cause you a problem), and having a local license will help with car insurance, as well as serve as an ID whenever you are asked for one. In short: there is no good reason to not get a local DL.

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12206361)
There are different, often wildly different definitions of "resident", and if you buy/ rent a (primary) home, have a job, obtain an SSN, register a vehicle, put a child in school, etc., you are "resident" for the purposes of needing a local drivers license. :nod:

Please don't let anyone persuade you otherwise as you will only find out that you have a problem when you're involved in an accident, when the police will declare your UK license invalid, which will void your insurance, so not only are you on the hook for any damage or injuries you caused, but you won't even have the insurer's lawyers to manage things for you, and the police can prosecute you for driving without a valid license and without insurance. :eek:

The driver licensing process and test is an utter joke, embarrassingly easy (treat the test seriously, but it won't cause you a problem), and having a local license will help with car insurance, as well as serve as an ID whenever you are asked for one. In short: there is no good reaosn to not get a local DL.

Right ok, thanks!

So I travel out for a week to start in US job then come back to UK for about 4 weeks or so. For that first week I won't need to drive and won't be renting a property.
Employer said I should hold off on applying for SSN until we come back 'for good'
When we do then, I'll need to apply for SSN and driving license.

Will my 30 days grace expire during that period from starting to returning?

I hope my UK license remains valid? This is an additional US license, a separate thing, is it valid in all US states?

Pulaski Mar 16th 2017 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12206366)
Right ok, thanks!

So I travel out for a week to start in US job then come back to UK for about 4 weeks or so. For that first week I won't need to drive and won't be renting a property.
Employer said I should hold off on applying for SSN until we come back 'for good'
When we do then, I'll need to apply for SSN and driving license.
Will my 30 days grace expire during that period from starting to returning?

If you arrive using your E-2, then technically you have probably "arrived", but IMO it is unlikely anyone would ever notice, and if you don't rent a home, and then leave a week later, I wouldn't worry, but would treat the 30 days as starting when you arrive "permanently".

I strongly disagree on the advice for an SSN, if you're coming next week, get your application in if at all possible (wait until the end of the week and hopefully your name will be "in the system"), then you'll have your number ready for you on your return - give your office address for them to mail the card to you.

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12206374)
If you arrive using your E-2, then technically you have probably "arrived", but IMO it is unlikely anyone would ever notice, and if you don't rent a home, and then leave a week later, I wouldn't worry, but would treat the 30 days as starting when you arrive "permanently".

I strongly disagree on the advice for an SSN, if you're coming next week, get your application in if at all possible (wait until the end of the week and hopefully your name will be "in the system"), then you'll have your number ready for you on your return - give your office address for them to mail the card to you.

Ok cool, makes sense. Thank you.

Happy to sit the test and of course want to abide by the law, will book it when we return. We'll want a car but luckily shouldn't need one initially, being city based. Phew!

I agree with you and this is what I proposed to employer but have been told not to do this so I can double check once started but had better follow their advice.

It should literally be just 4 weeks or so and we'll be back properly, just long enough to pack our stuff, arrange to ship our cat and vacate the premises as they say :)

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Wibblypig (Post 12206230)
Unless things have changed in the last couple of years I had to show the I-797 at passport control when entering on a work visa. I would recommend to take all your paperwork in your hand luggage just in case. One time I was grilled and had to present just about everything but my bra size!

By the way I don't even have an I-797 but I think this is normal arriving as E2 non-immigrant at this stage, AFAIK.

Please let me know if I'm mistaken here.

Nutmegger Mar 16th 2017 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12206388)
We'll want a car but luckily shouldn't need one initially, being city based.

You should definitely give it some time to settle in before you make a decision on a car. Living in NYC, you may find it cost effective to just rent when you want to get away for the weekend. Otherwise, you will either be paying to rent a parking space for the car or dealing with "alternate side," which is a big PIA!

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12206420)
You should definitely give it some time to settle in before you make a decision on a car. Living in NYC, you may find it cost effective to just rent when you want to get away for the weekend. Otherwise, you will either be paying to rent a parking space for the car or dealing with "alternate side," which is a big PIA!

Totally, the way I see it, we won't need one in the city and as you say, it can even be a PITA.

I'm thinking from time to time we should just rent one for now, as and when we want to go explore.

For that I'll get a US license, but that should be no rush.

Wibblypig Mar 16th 2017 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12206417)
By the way I don't even have an I-797 but I think this is normal arriving as E2 non-immigrant at this stage, AFAIK.

Please let me know if I'm mistaken here.

TBH I am not sure. We had non-immigrant visas, but each time entering the country we were always asked for the I-797 (USCIS approval notice). It is the same form that we needed to get the visa stamps/stickers in our passports at the embassy, if that helps. If in doubt, have every last bit of paperwork handy ;)

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Wibblypig (Post 12206473)
TBH I am not sure. We had non-immigrant visas, but each time entering the country we were always asked for the I-797 (USCIS approval notice). It is the same form that we needed to get the visa stamps/stickers in our passports at the embassy, if that helps. If in doubt, have every last bit of paperwork handy ;)

I'm taking everything I can find :)

Interestingly we didn't get to keep anything handed over at the US embassy London.

Most if not all of which was a pack handed to us from legal team day before. Contained a bunch of forms, one may have been I-797 but I'm not sure.

I could I guess ask for an electronic copy although with one day left it might be a little late.

Wibblypig Mar 16th 2017 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12206523)
I'm taking everything I can find :)

Interestingly we didn't get to keep anything handed over at the US embassy London.

Most if not all of which was a pack handed to us from legal team day before. Contained a bunch of forms, one may have been I-797 but I'm not sure.

I could I guess ask for an electronic copy although with one day left it might be a little late.

It will probably be in that packet from the attorney :thumbsup: Have a safe flight!

LouisB Mar 18th 2017 2:51 pm

On my way, up in the sky over the Atlantic. Thought I'd say hi because I can and it's kinda fun :)

Nutmegger Mar 18th 2017 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12207648)
On my way, up in the sky over the Atlantic. Thought I'd say hi because I can and it's kinda fun :)

Hope you've brought your snow boots -- there's some forecast for tonight!

tom169 Mar 18th 2017 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12207648)

Being charged $100 for 10mb of bandwidth? :rofl:

LouisB Mar 18th 2017 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12207656)
Being charged $100 for 10mb of bandwidth? :rofl:

At least!

LouisB Mar 18th 2017 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12207653)
Hope you've brought your snow boots -- there's some forecast for tonight!

I have no good snow clothes, left UK where I was outside catching some rays last few days.

I'm in for a shock, aren't I

Nutmegger Mar 18th 2017 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12207662)
I have no good snow clothes, left UK where I was outside catching some rays last few days.

I'm in for a shock, aren't I

Luckily for you it's in the mid 30s (F) today -- over ten degrees warmer than it has been recently. But it's definitely time to spring for some winter woollies! ;)

LouisB Mar 18th 2017 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12207670)
Luckily for you it's in the mid 30s (F) today -- over ten degrees warmer than it has been recently. But it's definitely time to spring for some winter woollies! ;)

Thanks for the tip. Actually to be fair I have a jumper hoody coat scarf gloves and hat, was all I could find suitable for the cold, maybe it'll do. If not, shopping time. Just need to remember to dress aappropiately before heading out rather than get caught out.

LouisB Mar 23rd 2017 1:13 am

Ok so I made it.

There was snow.

Some days weather says it's cold but it seems warm. On Tuesday I took coat but was roasting, sweating buckets.

Other days like today the very next day, it seems warm then an arctic wind chills you to the very core.

This will take some getting used to.

Have achieved a number of key things since arriving, CBP no issue, visa stamps good, I-94 good, I-9 done, getting set up at work all good, bank account opened.

I'm just wondering, before I return to the UK for a few weeks is there anything I should really try to sort out or address before return? Something I may kick myself for not doing once back?

tom169 Mar 23rd 2017 1:20 am

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12210825)
I'm just wondering, before I return to the UK for a few weeks is there anything I should really try to sort out or address before return? Something I may kick myself for not doing once back?

Applied for an SSN? Any sort of waiting list for a driving test you should join?

LouisB Mar 23rd 2017 1:22 am

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12210833)
Applied for an SSN? Any sort of waiting list for a driving test you should join?

Good points.

My company has explicitly told me to wait for SSN application until back again.

I seem to have a temp one for payroll in the mean time.

As for driving test, yikes I don't feel remotely prepaired for that. I guess I should look into it though in case of big waiting times.

Thanks for that, I'll look into it tomorrow.

tom169 Mar 23rd 2017 1:26 am

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12210835)
Good points.

My company has explicitly told me to wait for SSN application until back again.

I seem to have a temp one for payroll in the mean time.

As for driving test, yikes I don't feel remotely prepaired for that. I guess I should look into it though in case of big waiting times.

Thanks for that, I'll look into it tomorrow.

Not sure why they would tell you that as the issuance of an SSN to you is, to be honest, none of their business.