British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Leaving UK for USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/leaving-uk-usa-893970/)

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 2:13 pm

Leaving UK for USA

Hey,

So as per previous thread, we got visas and passports back. Arranged a start date of next Mon 20th, very excited.

Since this is the fist time I've travelled to US on business under a visa, can I double check my understanding.

During flight I fill in the CBP form, putting business as primary purpose.
Although I'll carry some cash $ it will be less than $10k so I don't need to declare this.

At US airport I'll need to join a queue for visa holders and speak with CBP agent, who hopefully will stamp my passport for I-94

That stamp will have a class and leave by date which I must check and ensure covers my whole stay.

That's it at the airport? Other than providing my passport with visa that's it?

Later on I visit gov website and download my I-94 record and supply to the new employer on first day along with my passport documents I ordered to complete an I-9

Oh and on leaving I hand back the existing I-94 somehow, it tears off of passport, so they know I've left?

Did I miss anything important out, tiny but nervous to overlook anything 😬

Edit, update to say visa is E2

SanDiegogirl Mar 16th 2017 2:49 pm

Re: Leaving UK for USA

What visa are you moving under?

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 12206104)
What visa are you moving under?

Hi,

E2 visa

I hope I understand the process.

I'm there for a week to get started under US rules then coming back for a few weeks to finalise UK 'stuff' and vacate property ready for rental before coming back to US 'permenantly'

Hence asking about process to leave correctly too, as until we're back properly my first visit is a short one and a learning curve too.

Pulaski Mar 16th 2017 3:21 pm

You're not entering for "business", it's to take up employment, for which you have a visa.

Also, most airports divide arriving passengers between USCs and "everyone else" (it seems to vary which line permanent residents are assigned to), so unless you see a clear sign otherwise, or are directed by a CBP officer managing the queues, you should join the "everyone else" queue.

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12206126)
You're not entering for "business", it's to take up employment, for which you have a visa.

Also, most airports divide arriving passengers between USCs and "everyone else" (it seems to vary which line permanent residents are assigned to), so unless you see a clear sign otherwise, or are directed by a CBP officer managing the queues, you should join the "everyone else" queue.

Ok thanks, so on this form 6059B https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-cbp/traveler-entry-form

I should not put business?

Also on this form I don't put down cash $ carried less than $10k right?

Pulaski Mar 16th 2017 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12206139)
Ok thanks, so on this form 6059B https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-...ler-entry-form

I should not put business?

Also on this form I don't put down cash $ carried less than $10k right?

Check box 10? .... Good question, I am not sure, but I think I would put "no" because to me business means meeting clients, sales visits, head office meetings, etc, not coming for a job.

Maybe that's just me? :unsure:

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12206159)
Check box 10? .... Good question, I am not sure, but I think I would put "no" because to me business means meeting clients, sales visits, head office meetings, etc, not coming for a job.

Maybe that's just me? :unsure:

Hmmm I'm unsure too. It's business right, since that's why I'm going, not a holiday...

Pulaski Mar 16th 2017 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12206167)
Hmmm I'm unsure too. It's business right, since that's why I'm going, not a holiday...

I'm not sure it matters either way - they don't seem to pay a whole lot of attention to most of that form's questions, and in any case Q10 is trumped by your visa.

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12206181)
I'm not sure it matters either way - they don't seem to pay a whole lot of attention to most of that form's questions, and in any case Q10 is trumped by your visa.

Ok, think I'll put business to be safe since it's clearly not a holiday and if told otherwise downgrade it at the airport.

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 4:08 pm

Do I have the I-94 process right?

Other than arriving with CBP form and passport with visa are they expecting anything else from me at point of entry?

tom169 Mar 16th 2017 4:11 pm

You don't need to hand in your I-94 when leaving the country as you'll be flying and so have an electronic I-94 that will automatically update.

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12206192)
You don't need to hand in your I-94 when leaving the country as you'll be flying and so have an electronic I-94 that will automatically update.

Ahah great, so I arrive, present passport, check stamp says E2 and right end date before leaving the CBP area and then later go online and download the I-94 record, that's literally it?

tom169 Mar 16th 2017 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12206197)
Ahah great, so I arrive, present passport, check stamp says E2 and right end date before leaving the CBP area and then later go online and download the I-94 record, that's literally it?

Yeah. The only things I've used my I-94 for is driving licence and social security.

You'll probably use an I-94 as proof when filling out an I-9.

LouisB Mar 16th 2017 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12206208)
Yeah. The only things I've used my I-94 for is driving licence and social security.

You'll probably use an I-94 as proof when filling out an I-9.

Yes I've been told I need it for I-9 when I arrive.

Ok so sounds like there's nothing to it then.

I'll apply for SSN later.

And as for driving license, hadn't occurred to me do I need to do something with my UK license, it's been fine for holidays but living in the US?

tom169 Mar 16th 2017 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12206222)
Yes I've been told I need it for I-9 when I arrive.

Ok so sounds like there's nothing to it then.

I'll apply for SSN later.

And as for driving license, hadn't occurred to me do I need to do something with my UK license, it's been fine for holidays but living in the US?

Each state varies. When you take up residency here then there will be some amount of time allowed on your UK licence, but after that you must get a state licence.

This will likely include a driving test - computer and practical.