Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Leave My Child Alone"

Wikiposts

"Leave My Child Alone"

Old Sep 9th 2005, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Leave My Child Alone"

Originally Posted by Englishmum
You couldn't make this stuff up - its a game designed to attract young people into enlisting - check this out and click on the logo:

http://www.americasarmy.com

(Oddly enough, there is a 'jobs' section and they're recruiting games designers.....isn't there someone on this board who does that?)
Actually, the game looks like it slightly backfired. There was an article about it in the technology section of the BBC website a few months ago and over the last couple of years it's become either the 1st or 2nd most played online game and so far there is no strong evidence that people who play it are signing up anywhere near the % they were expecting. It's a pretty good game, especially as it's free!
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:09 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: "Leave My Child Alone"

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
I am suprised that the US army needs to use sneak tricks to recruit people. After all 59 million voted for bush and his policies. I would have thought enough of them are either old enough or have kids who would jump at the chance to go fight & die for their chosen one's beliefs ?
I don't know where I read it or saw it on TV (perhaps via Michael Moore's documentaries) but am I correct in believing that not one of the offspring of the members of Congress and the House of Representatives has gone to Iraq?
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Bush (Jnr) and Cheney showed during Vietnam that their enthusiasm for military action doesn't include their own little pink bodies being put at risk.

At leat Bush (snr) was willing to fight for his country.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 2:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I don't know where I read it or saw it on TV (perhaps via Michael Moore's documentaries) but am I correct in believing that not one of the offspring of the members of Congress and the House of Representatives has gone to Iraq?
I think there is one...but that's still pathetically small a sum...
Old Sep 9th 2005, 4:03 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rompers
Bush (Jnr) and Cheney showed during Vietnam that their enthusiasm for military action doesn't include their own little pink bodies being put at risk.

At leat Bush (snr) was willing to fight for his country.

Bush Sr - that would have been WWII, a war that was actually worth fighting...
Old Sep 10th 2005, 2:32 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
"emphasising the sports facilities"!!!

Do they also mention that little skirmish in the cradle of civilization, I wonder...
"Cradle of civilisation"??? You've never been there then?

Truest words ever spoken, 30 mins from landing at Kuwait:
Pilot on Herc transporter: "Right, syncronise watches ........."
Everybody grabs wristwatch
Pilot on Herc transporter: "1435 hours .........2000BC"
Old Sep 10th 2005, 2:43 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
"Cradle of civilisation"??? You've never been there then?

Truest words ever spoken, 30 mins from landing at Kuwait:
Pilot on Herc transporter: "Right, syncronise watches ........."
Everybody grabs wristwatch
Pilot on Herc transporter: "1435 hours .........2000BC"

There you go, a little history for you:

http://www.shrewsbury-ma.gov/schools...esopotamia.htm
Old Sep 10th 2005, 6:10 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
There you go, a little history for you:

http://www.shrewsbury-ma.gov/schools...esopotamia.htm
Funny, I was always lead to believe that ancient Greece was the birthplace of civilisation, seems the Romans were under the same illusion.

I will however concede this point if you can prove to me that an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, fatwa's, jihad's, the total unrecognition of woman's rights and the wearing of burka's is "civilised".

Not only do you base your knowledge from an American historical source (given that American history itself is notoriously slapdash when it comes to actual truth), you actually base your knowledge on "Elementary" education.

Trust me..there is little in the basic level of life in the middle east that is civilised. "Biblical" would be a far more accurate description.

Do you wear your Burka shopping on Rodeo drive?
Have you worn one in the middle east?

Would you expect a civilised people to demand that you pay to draw drinking water from their well when you are there in the first place to fight invaders from THEIR godforsaken land?

Websites and magazine articles are no substitute for experience.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

When your talking about ancient history the word civilized tends to mean "no longer chasing woolly mammoths with spears".

Not sure the Romans or Greeks were big on equal rights or a fair and humane judicial system (crucifixion anyone?)

You lost me with the stuff about burkas and drinking water.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:29 am
Homebody

Funny, I was always lead to believe that ancient Greece was the birthplace of civilisation, seems the Romans were under the same illusion.

I will however concede this point if you can prove to me that an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, fatwa's, jihad's, the total unrecognition of woman's rights and the wearing of burka's is "civilised".

Not only do you base your knowledge from an American historical source (given that American history itself is notoriously slapdash when it comes to actual truth), you actually base your knowledge on "Elementary" education.

Trust me..there is little in the basic level of life in the middle east that is civilised. "Biblical" would be a far more accurate description.

Do you wear your Burka shopping on Rodeo drive?
Have you worn one in the middle east?

Would you expect a civilised people to demand that you pay to draw drinking water from their well when you are there in the first place to fight invaders from THEIR godforsaken land?

Websites and magazine articles are no substitute for experience.

You clearly aren't a Brit, seeing that you don't 'do' irony...
Old Sep 10th 2005, 8:01 am
Account Closed

When your talking about ancient history the word civilized tends to mean "no longer chasing woolly mammoths with spears".

Not sure the Romans or Greeks were big on equal rights or a fair and humane judicial system (crucifixion anyone?)

You lost me with the stuff about burkas and drinking water.

Was in Kuwait & Iraq for Desert Storm in Feb '91. On the Abdaly border Kuwaiti's wanted to sell us (dirty) well water to drink. We didn't speak Kuwaiti but one of the chaps made it known we were going to drink and not going to pay . Plenty of water in the well by the way.

I always thought civilisation was the birth of the arts. "Chasing woolly mammoths with spears" Hmmm....... Deers with a bow and Arrow....upstate New York still in the dark ages then! PMSL
Old Sep 10th 2005, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Was in Kuwait & Iraq for Desert Storm in Feb '91. On the Abdaly border Kuwaiti's wanted to sell us (dirty) well water to drink. We didn't speak Kuwaiti but one of the chaps made it known we were going to drink and not going to pay . Plenty of water in the well by the way.

I always thought civilisation was the birth of the arts. "Chasing woolly mammoths with spears" Hmmm....... Deers with a bow and Arrow....upstate New York still in the dark ages then! PMSL
Maybe, but still amazing scenary. We drove through the Adirondacks on our vacation this year and loved it.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 2:41 pm
Account Closed

Maybe, but still amazing scenary. We drove through the Adirondacks on our vacation this year and loved it.
When (if) you come through next year let me know and i'll take a day or so to show you the stuff off of the tourist maps, and maybe even have a (ahem) beer or two.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 3:13 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

...Hmmm....... Deers with a bow and Arrow....upstate New York still in the dark ages then! PMSL
Too damned right!