Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leave entitlement from work

Leave entitlement from work

Old Aug 7th 2013, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leave entitlement from work

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I know you aren't wanting to hear advice about the visa, but I have to give it to you anyway, for my own peace of mind. You should not be using an "agent" to obtain a visa to the USA. If you need help, you should only be consulting with a qualified immigration attorney. What this agent is telling you already sounds wrong. There is no such "list of required skills" for getting a visa to the USA.
If I remember correctly, a "migration agent" is the Australian equivalent of an immigration attorney (for immigration into Australia). It's possible that the OP is confused by the fact that Australia has a point-based immigration system.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 5:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Excluding public holidays, I went from 23 days in the UK to 10 days here. Same pay.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 5:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, I'd heard that it was going to go/had gone up to 20 days plus the bank holidays (NY, GF, Easter, May Day, Spring, Summer, Xmas, and BD).
It's been 20 days for at least 12 years - that's when I worked for the stingiest man in the world, and he had no choice but to give us that, although he wasn't happy about it!

The norm in the UK seems to be 25 days now though, that's the only job hubby or I have ever had with only 20 days. Hubby is now on 33 days plus BH's, so 41 in total - his max is 35 which he gets after another 18 months working for the company.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 5:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I work in the USA for a really good worldwide engineering firm (based in California). Our PTO (Paid Time Off) accrual scale goes like this:

Less than 5 years of service = 120 hours (3 weeks) per year, you can bank up to 480 hours before you have to use it or lose it.

5 - 19 years of service = 160 hours (4 weeks) per year, you can bank up to 640 hours before you have to use it or lose it.

20+ years of service = 200 hours (5 weeks) per year, you can bank up to 800 hours before you have to use it or lose it. (This is my category, with 23 years working here.)

PTO is for vacation, sick days, or personal days off.

If you have surgery and need extended time off (doctor must fill out a form), we have PTI (Paid Time Illness) you can use. Not sure how much they give you for that, I've only had to use it once, for 1 week.

We also get 8 paid holidays per year.

I'm definitely one of the lucky ones!

Rene
Old Aug 7th 2013, 5:37 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

I work in the USA for a really good worldwide engineering firm (based in California). Our PTO (Paid Time Off) accrual scale goes like this:
Less than 5 years of service = 120 hours (3 weeks) per year, you can bank up to 480 hours before you have to use it or lose it.
5 - 19 years of service = 160 hours (4 weeks) per year, you can bank up to 640 hours before you have to use it or lose it.
20+ years of service = 200 hours (5 weeks) per year, you can bank up to 800 hours before you have to use it or lose it. (This is my category, with 23 years working here.)
If you have surgery and need extended time off (doctor must fill out a form), we have PTI (Paid Time Illness) you can use. Not sure how much they give you for that, I've only had to use it once, for 1 week.
Rene
I work in manufacturing.
Very small company and I comprise half of the engineering dep't!
We get 2 weeks a year if on a salary, less if hourly.
3 weeks after 5 years and that's the limit.
9 holidays in the year.
Salaried get unlimited sick time, hourly get 1 week sick and 2 personal days.

The only up-side is that, like the salaried jobs of old, I can take an afternoon off and it does not count as I have been at work that day.
I'd guess that with all the dodging out early and dragging in late it must add up to another week over the year. Fortunately, all the salaried staff do it, so there is never any recourse from the boss.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

It's amazing the variety of deals on offer. I've only ever worked for companies that give 23-25 days PTO straight away - three of them - I'm either lucky or in some good industries.

DH's company starts you on 20 days PTO then up to 25 after 5 years. They don't really track what you take though.

Found this article yesterday coincidentally - some have unlimited vacation.
http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor...Perks-Vacation
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
It's amazing the variety of deals on offer. I've only ever worked for companies that give 23-25 days PTO straight away - three of them - I'm either lucky or in some good industries. .....
I think it varies mostly by industry, and partially by region. Ironically it seems, to me at least, that strong union states have no better vacation allowances than non-union states, and that the unions like their members to think that the unions have done them a great favour by "fighting" for whatever vacation they get.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I guess I'm going to be the one to be blunt...

If vacation time is your only consideration of whether to go through the (near-impossible) route of coming to the States to work, then your priorities are WRONG!

There are hundreds of reasons to consider the move, some of them are even possible, but basing it on how much time off one could get shouldn't be one of them!
He's isn't basing this huge decision purely on the amount of leave!

He's basing it on ski-ing in Tahoe.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 9:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
..... He's basing it on ski-ing in Tahoe.
Which is the only ski resort in the US, ..... isn't it?
Old Aug 7th 2013, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
It's a simple legacy of a non-unionised work force. No collective bargaining means the emplyer can offer what they want - because there is always someone else who will take the job.
Unions were pretty popular post war and up until the 70's when a decline started, but unions were generally relegated to blue collar workers, and as blue collar jobs left the country and more people became white collar workers, union membership started to fall.

Plus US labor unions have lost power over the years and in some industries strikes are not allowed so the workers have no recourse if the company doesn't want to deal with it. I was union when I worked at an airline but the Railway Labor Act prevented us from easily striking, only legal way was to get a government appointed mediator to declare a 30 day cooling off period and only after said period could we strike, but the president can and has forced striking airline workers back to work in the name of the economy.

Even if you can strike, you may not have a job to come back to, look at Northwest Airlines and their mechanics, the mechanics got the okay to strike, went on strike, the company just outsourced maintenance, and few if any of the striking mechanics ever got their job back at Northwest.

These days in the US the only unions worth any weight with any power are those who represent various government workers, private sector unions are pretty worthless.

I paid 20 a check or 40 a month for a union so I could make the same amount of money, and have no more protections then the state already provided, our contract was literally a copy of the State of California labor standards. lol
Old Aug 8th 2013, 12:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
Are you physically working in California? If so I would check and see if the use or lose it policy is even legal, as far as I can remember it is not legal in California to have a use or lose policy.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_vacation.htm
Old Aug 8th 2013, 12:53 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, plenty of variation. I currently get 18 days vacation, 10 days sick, 12 federal holidays, and a 9/80 schedule (26 non-work days). Talking a long vacation is a little difficult, but I can take lots of short ones.

Oh. Almost forgot. Less than half an hour to the ski hill. Four more in less than 2 hours.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Are you physically working in California? If so I would check and see if the use or lose it policy is even legal, as far as I can remember it is not legal in California to have a use or lose policy.

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/faq_vacation.htm
She doesn't work in California but Arizona. However it is legal in California since every company that I worked for in the Silicon Valley had similar policies.

From your link.

An employer can place a reasonable cap on vacation benefits that prevents an employee from earning vacation over a certain amount of hours

The above does not refer to a cap per year but a cap on the total accumulated hours.

Last edited by Michael; Aug 8th 2013 at 1:05 am.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Currently, I'm a contractor and I have no paid time off whatsoever.

Prior to that, I worked for a small company and only had 5days/yr.

In my last true engineering position, I had 3 weeks/yr (excluding holidays), which then would go up to 4weeks after 5 years.

A better holiday allowance is one of the (many) reasons we are returning back to the UK. It appears to be a better work/life balance in our estimation.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 1:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The missus is on a old contract, so gets loss more holiday than new hires and public holidays has gone from 4 to 7. She's salaried so they don't come out of PTO, but hourly people aren't paid unless they opt to use PTO, but new hires don't get enough time off to cover the public holidays.

Zero minimum holiday, sick, maternity leave by law in my area too.

And these days, a lot of places locally are including sick time and public holidays in your holiday allowance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.