Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leave entitlement from work

Leave entitlement from work

Old Aug 7th 2013, 5:29 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice
Default Leave entitlement from work

Hi All,
We are English living in Australia and fancying another change to the USA. My question right now is, what is the general leave entitlement given by employers? Currently I get 5 weeks paid leave, and can pretty much take any time off unpaid outside of that as long as it is reasonable. What do you USA based employed people get? I hear it is generally not much?
Old Aug 7th 2013, 5:36 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leave entitlement from work

You heard right. Swapsies?

After one year working for my company I got 2 weeks off. After 5 years I got another week. In fairness I did get 3 days off when my Mum died recently, plus another day as the funeral was out of State.

Last edited by RICH; Aug 7th 2013 at 5:41 am.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Thanks Rich, that's not great. I like my holidays! The main appeal to the US for me is the opportunity to go skiing on a weekend in Tahoe. If I can only use the weekend (and not Friday & Monday) that sort of loses that appeal to me! What about school teachers, do they get holidays off like they do in the UK (my wife is a teacher) so off the top of my head, 2 weeks at christmas, 2 weeks April/May, 6 weeks July/August, 1 week October?
Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It will vary depending on your employer. I have had anything from no annual vacation to having 10 days a year.

The 10 days a year was at a union job, it was based on how long you were employed, under 1 year 0 days, 1-4 years 5 days, 5-10 years 10 days, 11+ years 15 days which was the max.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
Thanks Rich, that's not great. I like my holidays! The main appeal to the US for me is the opportunity to go skiing on a weekend in Tahoe. If I can only use the weekend (and not Friday & Monday) that sort of loses that appeal to me! What about school teachers, do they get holidays off like they do in the UK (my wife is a teacher) so off the top of my head, 2 weeks at christmas, 2 weeks April/May, 6 weeks July/August, 1 week October?
Teaching will vary depending on how the local school is doing their school year, some break up the vacation time into smaller but more frequent vacations, and some are still traditional, with a week off in the spring, 2 weeks at Christmas, and Mid June to the first week of September off.

Teachers will get better time off then the average person will, but the wages can really suck in a lot of places.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:27 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It is extremely difficult for a non-US citizen to get a job as a teacher in the USA. Do you have a visa lined up for yourself? It's extremely difficult for basically everyone to get a visa unless you fall into some very narrow categories.

Leave varies, but generally it is two weeks and most Americans don't even take that much time off.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

I don't get why people want to spend there life working! I work to live not live to work.
We've sought advice from an agent and we are both on the list of required skills. To be honest though my wife probably wouldn't work anyway due to babies and all that.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:38 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get why people want to spend there life working! I work to live not live to work.
We've sought advice from an agent and we are both on the list of required skills. To be honest though my wife probably wouldn't work anyway due to babies and all that.
What list of required skills? Getting a visa to live in the US doesn't work like that. Have you read Pulaskis way? Sticky at the top of the forum. Do you fit any of the requirements?
Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:44 am
Account Closed

A good chunk of people dont make enough money to go anywhere, or can't afford to take the time off and rather have their vacation time paid out at the end of the year (if the state your in permits that.) as a sort of bonus.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by N1cky
What list of required skills? Getting a visa to live in the US doesn't work like that. Have you read Pulaskis way? Sticky at the top of the forum. Do you fit any of the requirements?
The visa situation is not the question. We have been researching visa opportunities for months and have sought professional advice who have said we should, but they can never guarantee that we can get a visa. But to be honest if I am going to come to America to spend even more time at work I probably won't bother.

Last edited by LeeWillo; Aug 7th 2013 at 6:56 am. Reason: spelling error
Old Aug 7th 2013, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Vacation is going to depend a lot on the industry and/or area. In the Silicon Valley, typical is 10-25 days vacation per year after the first year depending on the company. The following is a list of some of the Silicon Valley companies.

http://www.riverbed.com/docs/Article...acestoWork.pdf

Last edited by Michael; Aug 7th 2013 at 8:20 am.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 8:37 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Just being female (that is nosey) - why don't people get much vacation time? Are there other days off, or shutdowns? Sick days or similar for emergencies?
Old Aug 7th 2013, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info Michael but none of those are my profession. I won't rule a move out just yet I'll do some more research see if I can come up with anything.
And old.sparkles if you are wondering, Australia was my dream, America is the wife's, so part of the deal is we'll try and give it a go if we get an opportunity!

Last edited by LeeWillo; Aug 7th 2013 at 11:22 am. Reason: None instead of one!
Old Aug 7th 2013, 9:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The visa situation is not the question. We have been researching visa opportunities for months and have sought professional advice who have said we should, but they can never guarantee that we can get a visa. But to be honest if I am going to come to America to spend even more time at work I probably won't bother.
I know you weren't asking about visas, but as a quantity surveyor and teacher it would be unusual to qualify for a US employment based visa, so do you have one in mind?

Because the US is so tough for most people to get in to, it just tends to be the first question that gets asked!

Good luck with it.

Old Aug 7th 2013, 9:54 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info Michael but one of those are my profession. I won't rule a move out just yet I'll do some more research see if I can come up with anything.
And old.sparkles if you are wondering, Australia was my dream, America is the wife's, so part of the deal is we'll try and give it a go if we get an opportunity!
As has been suggested, firstly check out whether you can get a visa by looking at the 'read me's' in the US immi forum, and Pulaskis ways in the Wiki. If you do fit a category, and far more difficult, can get an employer to sposor you for a visa with all that that entails in time and cost for the company, then start worrying about vacation times.

Last edited by mikelincs; Aug 7th 2013 at 11:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.