Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Leave entitlement from work

Leave entitlement from work

Old Aug 7th 2013, 1:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leave entitlement from work

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
The minimum leave for full time employees in the UK is 28 days, but that does include bank holidays. ....
Yeah, I'd heard that it was going to go/had gone up to 20 days plus the bank holidays (NY, GF, Easter, May Day, Spring, Summer, Xmas, and BD).

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 7th 2013 at 2:02 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 1:30 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, I'd heard that it was going to go/had gone up to 20 days plus the bank holidays (NY, Easter, May Day, Spring, Summer, 11/11, Xmas, and BD).
Not 11/11 - NY day, Good Fri and Easter Mon, May day, late May (whitsun), Summer, Xmas and Boxing day.

About the last 5 years I think.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 1:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Not 11/11 - NY day, Good Fri and Easter Mon, May day, late May (whitsun), Summer, Xmas and Boxing day.

About the last 5 years I think.
Are you sure about GF? I always understood that to be a "common law" bank holiday, .... and 11/11 was added in the mid 90's if I remember correctly (unless it has been taken away again?). EDIT: Must be a brain fart, I can find no mention of it now, or back 10-15 years ago either.

BTW It's not "Whitsun" any more, that is a religious holiday that does not coincide with (day before) the "Spring" bank holiday in late (last Monday) May.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 7th 2013 at 1:53 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 1:44 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure about GF? I always understood that to be a "common law" bank holiday, .... and 11/11 was added in the mid 90's if I remember correctly (unless it has been taken away again?).

BTW It's not "Whitsun" any more, that is a religious holiday that does not coincide with (day before) the "Spring" bank holiday in late (last Monday) may.
It always used to be called Whitsun holiday when I was in school (living up to the old bit )

Def good Friday though - https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays
Old Aug 7th 2013, 2:00 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Def good Friday though - https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays
Well, it's good if you don't have to work it, anyway.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'm going to be the one to be blunt...

If vacation time is your only consideration of whether to go through the (near-impossible) route of coming to the States to work, then your priorities are WRONG!

There are hundreds of reasons to consider the move, some of them are even possible, but basing it on how much time off one could get shouldn't be one of them!
Old Aug 7th 2013, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
It will vary depending on your employer. I have had anything from no annual vacation to having 10 days a year.
I started on 23 days, go up to 28 days next year, and five years after that go up to 33. That doesn't include bank holidays - I get 8 of those.

So now you've heard of anything from 0 to 33 days :-)
Old Aug 7th 2013, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I guess I'm going to be the one to be blunt...

If vacation time is your only consideration of whether to go through the (near-impossible) route of coming to the States to work, then your priorities are WRONG!

There are hundreds of reasons to consider the move, some of them are even possible, but basing it on how much time off one could get shouldn't be one of them!
I disagree with that. Having time to do things you want to do is one of the most important pieces of life, in my opinion. Pretty much everything hinges on how much time you have to do it.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I disagree with that. Having time to do things you want to do is one of the most important pieces of life, in my opinion. Pretty much everything hinges on how much time you have to do it.
Agreed, unreservedly. If I didn't get a reasonable amount of time off I'd probably not have stayed here. Coming here to the US for the perceived "lifestyle" and then taking a job with only 10 days of annual leave, incl sick days, is utterly pointless.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
That is because your wife has opted to get her paycheck on a ten month basis rather than on a 12 month basis.
Yes, clearly stated that as an option in my post.

If she reduced her salary more to spread it over the 12 months she'd probably lose heart... . Teachers wages in Alachua County are dismal.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 3:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, unreservedly. If I didn't get a reasonable amount of time off I'd probably not have stayed here. Coming here to the US for the perceived "lifestyle" and then taking a job with only 10 days of annual leave, incl sick days, is utterly pointless.
That makes sense - obviously if part of the attraction of coming here is to enjoy all the travel opportunities then one might think twice about settling here when faced with the prospect of not being able to enjoy them.

Since I came here for marriage, it was a little different. I learned to make do, first on five days, which went to ten early in lieu of a bigger raise when I got my first review.

I started on ten in my new job and that'll go up to fifteen after I've been here five years but I also get six bank holidays (there is talk of the office being closed with PTO for the day after Thanksgiving, Xmas Eve and NYE as well) and three personal and three sick days so with careful planning, I can make those ten days last.

For example, this year I spent a week at home when my parents were out (helped by a weekend in the middle of it) and I'm just back after a long weekend away but I still have two days left, which I'll take as a long weekend next month before they reset. That my start date is in September helps as well because in a 12 month period I could, in effect use twenty days of annual leave if I wanted to leave myself nine months with no leave the following year
Old Aug 7th 2013, 3:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
IWe've sought advice from an agent and we are both on the list of required skills.
I know you aren't wanting to hear advice about the visa, but I have to give it to you anyway, for my own peace of mind. You should not be using an "agent" to obtain a visa to the USA. If you need help, you should only be consulting with a qualified immigration attorney. What this agent is telling you already sounds wrong. There is no such "list of required skills" for getting a visa to the USA.

Read this link yourself: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA and do your own research on what visa you might qualify for. Do not rely on an "agent". They are telling you exactly what you want to hear (yes, we will take your money and apply for your visa, but no guarantees). They will do just that...take your money, and then say oopsie, you didn't get the visa, sorry (because there isn't one availble for you!).

Please do your own research before you pay an agent anything. I would hate to see you pay someone to do what you can do yourself.

Rene
Old Aug 7th 2013, 3:49 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

My company credits external experience too. 0 years = 3 weeks, 10 years = 4 weeks, 20 years = 5 weeks, 25 years = 6 weeks, 30 years = 7 weeks. We also get 10 public holidays. And we can do 9/80 so you can add another 26 days there. It's amazing we find time to work.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 3:51 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Totally agree.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 3:54 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeeWillo
Hi All,
We are English living in Australia and fancying another change to the USA. My question right now is, what is the general leave entitlement given by employers? Currently I get 5 weeks paid leave, and can pretty much take any time off unpaid outside of that as long as it is reasonable. What do you USA based employed people get? I hear it is generally not much?
Apart from bacon, this is my favourite subject for having a good moan!

About 2 or 3 years ago, there was a bill suggested here in the US for there to be a minimum leave entitlement made law.
It didn't get anywhere and what it proposed was a minimum of 1 week per year.

Simply put, US employment law is written for the benefit of the employer and not those who work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.