Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

learning to drive

Wikiposts

learning to drive

Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I removed mine, it kept getting in the way.
Missed the horn too...can't have a license without being obnoxious with its use
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I only wanted to point out that professional lessons were not a requirement as I believe they are in the UK - but rather an option.
Not a requirement either, person has to have had a license for 3 years and be over 21...just not worth the hassle of it, or the cost in insurance when you can pay someone else to break their car, which usually has duel controls for just in case
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
that's okay, your meant to cross your arms over when steering over here, and not use the hand brake, or being able to change gears
funny thing, my American husband thoroughly scolded me for NOT crossing my hands when turning!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

UK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enoughUK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enough

I drive a manual or "stick" car so one hand stays on the shifter (was gonna say knob but ladies are around and may get wrong idea ) and the other stays on the wheel and i normally spin the wheel with the palm of my hand
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Dont worry ..the standards are very low....
I have seen untrained donkeys pass ...
That about sums it up to a T

Not a shade on the British test, very easy indeed.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:11 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade
That about sums it up to a T

Not a shade on the British test, very easy indeed.
My theory test consisted of 16 multiple-guess questions, including "when is it ok to throw a lit cigarette out of the window?" and "what does this mean?" (picture of red traffic light).

The actual driving bit took 5 minutes (only 4 for Mrs tonrob - I timed it!) and included the phrase "and if you can get us back to the parking lot without hitting anything, you've passed".

All of which explained a lot.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK_Tomcat_Fan
I drive a manual or "stick" car so one hand stays on the shifter (was gonna say knob but ladies are around and may get wrong idea ) and the other stays on the wheel and i normally spin the wheel with the palm of my hand

Don't do that in the driving test - they will flunk you. Low speed turns - cross hands over. Higher speed - don't need to.

Spinning with one hand - fail
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:50 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Missed the horn too...can't have a license without being obnoxious with its use
Good point. Honking is an important driving skill, one that can't be used too often.

It's a balancing act. You need to keep one hand free for your phone, another one for your coffee and another one for your iPod. Sometimes, you will need to honk, and occasionally, you'll need to steer. Those are listed in order of importance, so be sure to manage your priorities accordingly.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Good point. Honking is an important driving skill, one that can't be used too often.

It's a balancing act. You need to keep one hand free for your phone, another one for your coffee and another one for your iPod. Sometimes, you will need to honk, and occasionally, you'll need to steer. Those are listed in order of importance, so be sure to manage your priorities accordingly.
You need to write an entire manual
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

UK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enoughUK_Tomcat_Fan will become famous soon enough

Don't do that in the driving test - they will flunk you. Low speed turns - cross hands over. Higher speed - don't need to.

Spinning with one hand - fail
Tracy,

I guess you got the same mind as my Fiance... completely bent and twisted...
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracy,

I guess you got the same mind as my Fiance... completely bent and twisted...
We wuv you too
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

We wuv you too
i didnt say thats a bad thing.... i like a Woman who can keep up with my twisted mind
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i didnt say thats a bad thing.... i like a Woman who can keep up with my twisted mind
LOL I didn't take it as negative
Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

LOL I didn't take it as negative
thats a good thing last thing i want is to upset a lady
Old Feb 12th 2008, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thats a good thing last thing i want is to upset a lady
I see you are well prepared for marriage then

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.