Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Last visit to the U.k?

Last visit to the U.k?

Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:58 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last visit to the U.k?

Originally Posted by Manc
compared to Scunthorpe you could be in Mozambique and still saying that.
I could be in the ninth circle of Hell, and it would still be a pleasant day trip compared to Scunthorpe.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 4:37 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
I could be in the ninth circle of Hell, and it would still be a pleasant day trip compared to Scunthorpe.

Have you ever been to Burnley? I spent the first 12 years of my life there you know. Then my family moved to Blackburn. I have resigned myself to the fact that in my last life I raped small children and was duely punished for it in this.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:11 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
aww you make me larf where the heck is Scunthorpe anyway?
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:16 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
aww you make me larf where the heck is Scunthorpe anyway?
South side of Hull, between Grimsby and Donny.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 8:55 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

I flew back to Scotland a few weeks ago. Flying visit just for 2 and a bit days to watch a football match. Gave my story to the local paper for their Thursday issue and it was in the National tabloids on the Friday....

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/ne...name_page.html

Ignore the 343 quid bit - the only flights I paid for were on bmi - about $100.00 all in. Got Business Class from ORD-LHR then First Class coming home
Old Oct 29th 2005, 2:34 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
I flew back to Scotland a few weeks ago. Flying visit just for 2 and a bit days to watch a football match. Gave my story to the local paper for their Thursday issue and it was in the National tabloids on the Friday....

Ignore the 343 quid bit - the only flights I paid for were on bmi - about $100.00 all in. Got Business Class from ORD-LHR then First Class coming home
Nice one. So what was the score? And was your Dads comment true...?
Old Oct 29th 2005, 2:46 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Nice one. So what was the score? And was your Dads comment true...?
Dunfermline got beat 1-0 and apparently my old man never even said that. Bloody hacks....
Old Oct 29th 2005, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I last went back in December 2003, now its all a bit different for me as I left home when I was 17 and haven't lived in or near Oxford since so I wasn't actually going home, more going to Oxford to visit my mother who swore once I had moved to the USA she would never see me again. We used to visit the aged P's with the kids but usually for a maximum of 4 or 5 days and then onto the 'outlaws' in Kent.
Needless to say I found my visit stressful, I had prearranged to meet with some good friends from Barrow-in-Furness (my home before I emigrated) for a couple of days (I spent 10 days in the UK) and arrived to find my mother had got each day booked up with visits to family, shopping, more family .. lots more shopping and garden centres etc. On the 4th day my patience broke and I headed into Oxford alone for a look around. I was followed most of the way around by a fella who probably thought I was going to be good for some freebies (handbag etc) so I hopped a bus and headed home after a whole 20 minutes feeling decidedly uneasy.

I have no plans for a return visit, my mother is equally stubborn and won't visit me here, the kids come and visit me twice a year which is great. I'm happy over here, at least I can walk through town here and and feel safe. I'm sure eventually we'll head back over the Atlantic but have no idea when. The back end of Michigan is my home now (plans are underway to move even further north).

Jan
Old Oct 29th 2005, 3:20 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy

Karma for that - quality. Have bookmarked that so I can show the breadknife. I'll reference it when Mansfield Town get promoted and we play te evil Spirites (Chesterfield) at The Mill. Or when they get relegated - which is more likely.

Not wanting to hijack or go off course, I haven't been back to the UK since I moved here......four weeks ago. And I have no plans to until 2007.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to say but you are tell the truth, the exchange rate alone killed my spending money. Still love the place but expensive and I think Ken Liverstone is going a good job in terms of free bus rides for people under 16............

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
I went back a month ago and the best thing was spending time with my Mum and Dad and eating all the foods I really missed. The worst thing was the traffic and the amount of people. I miss home but when I'm there after a few days I'm ready to come back to the US. I've been here 2 years now and I think that I'll be staying for good. I feel very happy and I don't miss the constant noise and bustle of London. I miss the food desperately though. I go back on average about once every 6 months but it's so expensive now, as we stay in a hotel and rent a car. The flight, hotel, car, kennel for the dog and food expenses comes to about $2000.

London feels so grimy and dirty to me now, although I like the fact that it's so cool. I feel like an alien there now and I could not envisage living there again. I like the space and standard of living I have here in Connecticut.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

jobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to behold
Red face Re: Last visit to the U.k?

Been here 5 years, been home once; 3 and half years ago. But got married and family came over, had baby and mum/sister came over... now I am definitely ready to go for a visit, in fact really looking forward to it and trying to get there next summer.

Last time we went it seemed really dirty though, weird cos I've travelled all over and never thought that before. It must be cos they knock anything down that's over 3 years old and then rebuild it here in Indy!!
Old Oct 30th 2005, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

jobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to beholdjobyone1 is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Last visit to the U.k?

Ahh Sunny Scunny
Old Oct 30th 2005, 1:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
Sorry to say but you are tell the truth, the exchange rate alone killed my spending money. Still love the place but expensive and I think Ken Liverstone is going a good job in terms of free bus rides for people under 16............
free bus for under 16? blimey....though it's free for under 8 year olds across the country ain't it? and still cheap for anyone under 18....
Old Oct 30th 2005, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 11 years and have travelled back every year. My wife and I are both from Plymouth, and both have family there, so we use that as our base. Plus we still own a house there.

I switched jobs a couple of times when I was on a H1B visa in the 90s, and that caused extended stays back in the UK until I could get a replacement H1B for the new company. Still, those rules have changed these days.

I've also been back on business a few times (but not recently) and made sure I allowed time to visit Plymouth on those occasions.

It is expensive to fly over. My retired inlaws usually come over in December because flights are cheaper, its our daughter's birthday and its Xmas. We usually go over at Easter time (lots of lovely Easter eggs, plus everyone has a long holiday weekend), but that changed for the last 2 trips. Hopefully we will be back on track next year, and I'll get to see Argyle play while at home.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Last visit to the U.k?

....was medivaced over to Washington DC in late January 1988,stayed there for 6 months,finally released in June of '88,joined husband and sons in California,Travis AFB,husband got out of the Air Force Feb.'90,moved to Illinois....never been back to the UK,miss my family and friends,but glad I never went back,it was very hard at first,but I don't miss it at all anymore,and I keep in touch with all my friends and family via the computer...I know it would be very hard to leave again if I went back to visit,but this is my home now...also leaving this time would be my choice,whereas last time I had no choice if I wanted to recover from the illness I'd had,and I'm sure that made it easier for everyone,knowing it was the only chance I had to recover....I wouldn't want to put them through the goodbyes again....Sophia(IL)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.