Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Last visit to the U.k?

Last visit to the U.k?

Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last visit to the U.k?

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden

I am going back for the first time on the 9th of November, I'm going alone as the kids would get into all kinds of bother for taking time of school. My Mum gave up a baby son for adoption in the 60's and in April of this year I found and met him for the first time(he's actually living in MA). It's his birthday on the 13th of Nov and we are going back to the UK together to spend his first birthday with his birth family, he met my Mum and one of my sisters back in April (by random chance they had booked a holiday here the week I found him and he flew down to meet us all) but he has yet to meet his youngest sister.

I am really pleased to hear that you and your half brother have gotten on so well. My mother gave up a baby privately in the late 50's and I managed to trace him. Unfortunately, his adoptive mother told him a load of lies and managed to poison him against my Mum, so he refuses to have anything to do with us. But at least my Mum knows he's ok and successful in life.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

I got here 24 Oct last year. Went back for a week in April, going back for 10 days next week. Have to go back alone to save expense. Just need to BE there for a while. Daft, but true. No close family left, so it is simply the being there that counts for me. I hope I'll manage with one visit next year, but perhaps not!

Nice to see all the replies, by the way. Good thread.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
I am really pleased to hear that you and your half brother have gotten on so well. My mother gave up a baby privately in the late 50's and I managed to trace him. Unfortunately, his adoptive mother told him a load of lies and managed to poison him against my Mum, so he refuses to have anything to do with us. But at least my Mum knows he's ok and successful in life.
I'm sorry to hear that. I realise we've been exceptionally lucky. My brothers adoptive parents were very honest with him from the very start so he has always known he had another Mum out there somewhere and he had a full and accurate understanding of the reason why she had to give him up. He'd actually begun to look for her as well. He was on a plane down here within two days of me speaking to him for the first time

His adoptive family are all short and have dark hair, and he is tall and has red hair so he stuck out like a sore thumb in his family, I think it reinforced the idea that he was from somewhere else. He looks just like us however, so when we all saw eachother in the airport I think he felt he'd found a place he belonged if you know what I mean. He is incredibly like my middle sister, they were doing drunken karaoke together here just a few days after we met.

His mannerisms are even the same as my Mum's brothers which is just amazing considering they've never met. We like a lot of the same things and really he's just fit right in, it's almost like he was always around.

Perhaps one day your brother will come to realise that things might not be as they appear and attempt a reconcilliation. I hope for your mum that he does.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

thorneguesthouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tried Canada eh?

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
okay , I know I'm only going to depress myself..but how long have you lived in the U.S and when was the last time you went back to the U.K? It's been an age for me...do you all hop on a plane frequently or have some of you been away for years? are you fulfilled with the visit but eager to return or do you yearn to move back for good?

Can you easily afford to visit or is going back for a visit so important to you that you'll save up and do without just to get there?

just curious
We are in St.George New Brunswick and have a seasonal b & b ,PERFECT!! we work 5 months and take off 7 months...make enonugh t0ogo wherever we want & this winter we're off on a round the world trip...( + we get away from the winter..hey we're not stupid..just a thought..www.bbcanada.com/4494/html
GOOD LUCK,John/Anna
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:18 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
We like a lot of the same things and really he's just fit right in, it's almost like he was always around.
aww what a wonderful post..you actually brought tears to my eyes...I must be getting soft in my old age I'd karma you again but I can't, have a wonderful family reunion ..I'm so glad your brother found you all
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

aww what a wonderful post..you actually brought tears to my eyes...I must be getting soft in my old age I'd karma you again but I can't, have a wonderful family reunion ..I'm so glad your brother found you all

I'll second that. Makes a change to have a happy ending. The world seems to be full of unhappy endings.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, reciprocal karma back at ya
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by frrussre
I'll second that. Makes a change to have a happy ending. The world seems to be full of unhappy endings.
Reg. Frank R.

Thank you, it is great to have it all turn out well.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

ain't been back since i got here, but then again, my greencard still ain't come through and i never bothered with AP.

Am I bothered? Not really.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Even with multiple trips back, I still occasionally wake up wishing I could pop home for the day. We use to lye on the beach in NY and watch Concord (UK & French) take off, it always crossed my mind how great it would be to fly up & hand on the tail. UK 3.45 hours. Stay for a few hrs & come back.
The big thing I have learnt over the years from Expats I have met or read, is how or why they came here. It makes a big difference as to how you see the old country. Any old country.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 12:17 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Been in the USA three years now and haven't been back to the UK in nearly two.

If I don't get back soon for a quick visit, I'll end up running back there permanently.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:26 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
Last time I went back was over three years ago, and only because of business. My family all say they want to come over and visit, but do they? Do they balls. But they expect me to spend my precious vacation time in Scunthorpe...yeah right, like that's ever going to happen. And to cap it all off, whenever I did go back (on business), I'd travel over 5500 miles, drive for a few hours, and then when I got there, my brothers couldn't even be arsed to drive a few miles across town to see me...they expected me to go them. Twunts.

I love my family really.
Player Haters.

My family are just the same. My cousin spent the majority of my wedding reception telling me I didn't love her anymore if I was moving away and attempting to put my husband down. Then whenever we visit we are expected to make the effort to see them (my aunts, cousins uncles etc). Bollocks to em I say. I'd put money on them being jealous that I left the UK to come here. They've probably all got the very real impression that I'm now counting the millions I was handed after I first arrived, sitting in my mansion where its always hot and sunny, being fanned by my manservants and walking down those golden pavements. I love my family too, but what a load of arses they can be
Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:01 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Player Haters.

My family are just the same. My cousin spent the majority of my wedding reception telling me I didn't love her anymore if I was moving away and attempting to put my husband down. Then whenever we visit we are expected to make the effort to see them (my aunts, cousins uncles etc). Bollocks to em I say. I'd put money on them being jealous that I left the UK to come here. They've probably all got the very real impression that I'm now counting the millions I was handed after I first arrived, sitting in my mansion where its always hot and sunny, being fanned by my manservants and walking down those golden pavements. I love my family too, but what a load of arses they can be
Yeah, but compared to Scunthorpe, I really am sitting in a mansion where it's always hot and sunny. There's just no servants fanning me...unless A/C counts?
Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:03 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by syllk
Yeah, but compared to Scunthorpe, I really am sitting in a mansion where it's always hot and sunny. There's just no servants fanning me...unless A/C counts?
compared to Scunthorpe you could be in Mozambique and still saying that.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 3:09 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Player Haters.

My cousin spent the majority of my wedding reception telling me I didn't love her anymore if I was moving away and attempting to put my husband down.
Why are you attempting to put your hubby down then? Is he not very well....?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.