Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

last Minute Preperations

last Minute Preperations

Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default last Minute Preperations

Hi, I just wanted to double check in case I have missed something completely obvious. My husband and I are moving to San Diego next week. we are just taking 2 suitcases each which will mostly be filled with clothes. We are not getting anything shipped as our flat over here was rented and part furnished so we didn't actually have enough to send on to make it worthwhile. The plan on arrival is to open bank accounts, find somewhere to live (we're booked into a hotel for 2 weeks), start getting furniture/utilities etc set up.

Is their anything you think it would be worthwhile me packing which I may not otherwise have thought of? Our paperwork is all sorted (I think!) with copies of credit reports, rental references and our medical notes.

Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks!
Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: last Minute Preperations

You might find some ideas here:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/List_o...n_about_Moving
Old Nov 7th 2011, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that! I think we may be all set (or as much as we can be). Do you know if it's true that a UK passport holder can open a Bank Of Amercia bank account on the basis of the passport and UK addrress?

Thanks again
Old Nov 7th 2011, 7:17 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
Thanks for that! I think we may be all set (or as much as we can be). Do you know if it's true that a UK passport holder can open a Bank Of Amercia bank account on the basis of the passport and UK addrress?

Thanks again
You should be able to open an account at any bank or credit union with your passport and possibly one other piece of identity. However, front line staff are not always so knowledgeable, especially off the beaten track.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's great, I think I may just be becomeing a bit neurotic trying to get everything ready!
Old Nov 7th 2011, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
I opened a bank account with my passport, a letter from my prospective employer regarding job and salary and money to deposit.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

I dont know if your company will provide you with some money for when you arrive but you might want to have some spare cash with you..
We found that we had much more expenses that we first thought.. for example renting a car was a lot more than predicted (once you had the insurance etc), buying a car was a bit stressful as a result (we were eager to get one to stop spending on rental)

also, I dont know if you have anything left in the UK like a car that you are selling, insurance papers, etc.. but I would take a copy of each suppliers and keep it with you in case they need your customer account number etc.. definitely keep your uk tax details with you as HMRC might contact you to do a self assessment

We found a place to live few weeks before moving there so we had an address to provide to the bank when we opened the account. They probably want you to provide one too.

lastly, just bring a couple of knife, forks and plates! you will have so much to do at first, it will be helpful until you have time to properly furnish..

good luck with your move!

Last edited by laety; Nov 7th 2011 at 7:54 pm.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Hi, I just wanted to double check in case I have missed something completely obvious. My husband and I are moving to San Diego next week. we are just taking 2 suitcases each which will mostly be filled with clothes. We are not getting anything shipped as our flat over here was rented and part furnished so we didn't actually have enough to send on to make it worthwhile. The plan on arrival is to open bank accounts, find somewhere to live (we're booked into a hotel for 2 weeks), start getting furniture/utilities etc set up.

Is their anything you think it would be worthwhile me packing which I may not otherwise have thought of? Our paperwork is all sorted (I think!) with copies of credit reports, rental references and our medical notes.

Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks!

Check Craigslist - all sorts of useful stuff for you on there, where in SD will you be living ?
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies! Some really useful advice.

My husband will be working in the La Jolla/North Torrey Pines area so we are aiming for either La Jolla (pricey I know!) or more realistically UTC. Our car etc is all sold and I've managed to get a copy of my driver's record from the DVLA, I've also got my proof of no claims etc. My husband's boss has very kindly offered to drive us round to view apartments so we won't be bothering with car rental but I will be aiming to pass my test and buy one as soon as possable. I've been car sharing with my brother for 2 months and it's been driving me mental over here!
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You should be able to open an account at any bank or credit union with your passport and possibly one other piece of identity. However, front line staff are not always so knowledgeable, especially off the beaten track.
Opening a none interest baring account is easy....for anything else, most banks will ask for a secondary bit of ID....especially if you're in a area that's known for having folks with dodgy papers.

Anyway, to the OP, on top of a set of plates, can/bottle opener....very handy for that first nights drinks and easy food.

Also check the local freecycle group as you might be able to just get stuff free.

The test in CA is easy, but realistically, you won't be doing it for a month, partly because you'll need your SSN and because the bigger areas tend to be busy.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for all the replies! Some really useful advice.

My husband will be working in the La Jolla/North Torrey Pines area so we are aiming for either La Jolla (pricey I know!) or more realistically UTC. Our car etc is all sold and I've managed to get a copy of my driver's record from the DVLA, I've also got my proof of no claims etc. My husband's boss has very kindly offered to drive us round to view apartments so we won't be bothering with car rental but I will be aiming to pass my test and buy one as soon as possable. I've been car sharing with my brother for 2 months and it's been driving me mental over here!
Check out Carmel Valley as well when looking for housing.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived with 3 cases .That was it. On 2 subsequent visits to uk I brought back an extra case..mainly of clothes
Its cheaper..for me..to buy things I need here rather than ship them over.Clothes makeup..laptop and I was set!!!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Spot the Dog is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed, travel light - I did it initially with 1 (large) case but had a load of stuff shipped, that took 12 weeks to arrive and by the time it did I had come to realize I didn't actually need any of it.