Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

MOVING TO THE USA - LOTS OF QUESTIONS!

MOVING TO THE USA - LOTS OF QUESTIONS!

Old Nov 8th 2011, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

cy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nice
Default MOVING TO THE USA - LOTS OF QUESTIONS!

Hi all,

My wife, dog and I are moving to the USA in December. We'll be sailing via the Queen Mary 2 to New York and then a drive from NY to Houston, TX and my wife's family. Couple months there and then hopefully, we will be settling in Washington, DC.

Amidst the packing and planning, I have a couple of questions. I'm hoping someone on here might help or point me in the right direction? Apologies in advance if I am covering something that someone else has already mentioned in the past:

Rental Cars - is it best to book these from a UK website rather than a US website even though we are moving? There's a difference in price between the two sites (and not just due to the exchange rate). We're also quoted a 'one way drop-off fee'. Any way around that particular quirk?

Health insurance - Does anyone recommend a particular provider? We'd like to cover ourselves for three months or so while we job search from Texas and I've heard some providers may not cover me as a new immigrant, despite my status and pre-existing social security number.

Thank you all in advance for your help!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 2:32 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOVING TO THE USA - LOTS OF QUESTIONS!

Originally Posted by cy1982
Hi all,

My wife, dog and I are moving to the USA in December. We'll be sailing via the Queen Mary 2 to New York and then a drive from NY to Houston, TX and my wife's family. Couple months there and then hopefully, we will be settling in Washington, DC.

Amidst the packing and planning, I have a couple of questions. I'm hoping someone on here might help or point me in the right direction? Apologies in advance if I am covering something that someone else has already mentioned in the past:

Rental Cars - is it best to book these from a UK website rather than a US website even though we are moving? There's a difference in price between the two sites (and not just due to the exchange rate). We're also quoted a 'one way drop-off fee'. Any way around that particular quirk?

Health insurance - Does anyone recommend a particular provider? We'd like to cover ourselves for three months or so while we job search from Texas and I've heard some providers may not cover me as a new immigrant, despite my status and pre-existing social security number.

Thank you all in advance for your help!
You both have a Visa right! or you are a US Citizen I take it because you mention you have a SS number!!
Old Nov 8th 2011, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

cy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nicecy1982 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
You have a Visa right! or you are a US Citizen I take it because you mention you have a SS number!!
Yes - I've received my Immigrant Visa and my Green Card will be issued around 6 months after I arrive. My wife is American.

I lived in the USA between 2006 and 2007 on a J1-Visa. My SS number appears to still be valid from this time.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 2:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

and my Green Card will be issued around 6 months after I arrive.
You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 2:41 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - I've received my Immigrant Visa and my Green Card will be issued around 6 months after I arrive. My wife is American.

I lived in the USA between 2006 and 2007 on a J1-Visa. My SS number appears to still be valid from this time.
Cool You would be surprised at the amount of posts we get of folk thinking they are moving over just because they have family here...Thank you for explaining the Visa status better to clear it up at the beginning of the thread!!

As for rentals I would Priceline it and use the US site if that's possible due to the Mrs being an American she might have a US visa card and address.

Health Insurance is going to be more difficult I think if you only want it for 3 months...especially if you have any pre-existing conditions. I am sure someone will chime up soon on BE with an answer
Old Nov 8th 2011, 7:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Rental...check both sites...difference in price would probably be if the insurance is included or not.

Drop off fee, well one way would be to return the car, other wise, no, not really. If you ring up and negotiate a long term rental for the whole 3 months in advance, then they'll probably consider knocking it off, but other wise, that's the cost of service. If you have AAA/AA membership, you might get better discounts.

As for insurance, check out e-insurance or whatever the website is...it'll probably be shit, look deeper than the low priced ones it first spits out.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

Extreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to allExtreme is a name known to all

Check this page out for short term coverage.
http://www.insubuy.com/new-immigrant-insurance/
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Rental Cars - is it best to book these from a UK website rather than a US website even though we are moving? There's a difference in price between the two sites (and not just due to the exchange rate).
Use which ever site gives you the cheapest price. Just check both prices cover the same things.

When my sons come and visit they often get a rental from Budget if they need a car for a few days. In the past even though they have been here when they book, the UK site has given the better price. It has to do with companies giving tourists better rates, provided they book using their UK home address, than residents.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Not convinced you need short term or 3 months Health Cover, you just need Health Insurance, you will pay monthly, when you get cover via a job, just cancel the self paid cover, mid week, mid month, whenever new deal kicks in. The old company will issue you a refund for the unused portion. YES, you want cash refund, NO you don't want them to hold on to your money & continue to cover you until end off month.

Make sure you don't cancel old Insurance before new one kicks in, double cover for 24 hours. Though you can do 12.01am cancel, in advance.

You should both be able use your British NHS, to show continuous cover & avoid PRE-existing, clauses.

Good Luck.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 1:16 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the bigger car rental places waive the drop off fee if you pick up and drop off at airport facilities, rather than say in the city proper. Of course you will pay for this with a slightly higher rate.

My advice is to rent a car in New York and then ditch it in say Pennsylvania or someplace else. Rentals in NY are very expensive compared to smaller states / airports. I definitely wouldn't drive around three months with a rental from NY (for example a recent one-day rental from JFK/NYC was the same cost as a one-week rental from Washington DC DCA/Reagan National airport). Definitely shop around.