last min trip to uk

last min trip to uk

Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: last min trip to uk

Originally Posted by candy wy.
-
Thanks everyone flights booked, car hire is sorted, just need to pack now. Will talk to the bank tomorrow to let them know I will be using the debit card in the uk. will try and avoid using the credit cards hate paying them back...lol
will deal with all the paperwork I have to deal with when I get back.
nahh, use your credit cards for shopping, make them work for you! use their money whilst gaining air miles etc etc for you. the secret is to pay the cards off monthly and not let them accrue, right
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
Oh yes - my credit card company flagged it as suspicious and called me. I know one other person who had similar problems with a store refusing her non-chip and pin card. Most people will never have an issue, but there's no point in pretending it doen't happen, because it does. And actually, I think it's more likely to happen to us (expats) because we tend to go to places that aren't on the normal tourist routes. My problem shops were one petrol station and one (chain) convenience store.
i've never had that happen to me. we have property in the uk and i often use a usa c/c in our local grocery store etc etc in the village and yes it's well off the normal tourist route however it's good your c/c company called you as it shows they are looking out for you. chip and pin is really no problem in the uk as long as you tell the store when making your transaction that the card you are going to use is the old swipe type and not chip and pin. after all they either want your business or they don't!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

One has to hope that as time goes on these experiences will decrease. I, for one, complained vociferously to Visa about my experience, and they did contact the companys in question. I suspect that if I went back, there wouldn't be an issue. I also reported one company (the chain of convenience stores) to the disability rights commission (as it was then) since they claimed they wouldn't process a chip and signature card either, which appalled me.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

you know, i never thought about that, that when in restaurants they take ur card away they can write down the 3 digit sec pin on the back!!!!!!!

now i am worried...
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Deedee13
you know, i never thought about that, that when in restaurants they take ur card away they can write down the 3 digit sec pin on the back!!!!!!!

now i am worried...
never let your card out of your sight if possible! in the uk when paying a restaurant bill they have this little machine that they carry to your table hence you see your card at all times. i am always concerned here when my card disappears from the table to settle the bill
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:30 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13

now i am worried...
I wouldn't worry about that - many online retailers to not validate the CVN number anyway so it's basically pointless.
Others will validate it first time you use the card, but never again.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TruBrit
never let your card out of your sight if possible! in the uk when paying a restaurant bill they have this little machine that they carry to your table hence you see your card at all times. i am always concerned here when my card disappears from the table to settle the bill
Perhaps someone can correct me, but it was my experience that that's the point - those machines that they now carry to your table can't cope with non chip and pin cards - they don't have the ability to read the magnetic strip. Hence the need for the card to be carried off to the hinterlands. Whatever, theres no reason to obsess over this stuff. Every american credit card company I've ever dealt with has no problem about removing unauthorized charges (which is more than I can say for some UK ones). Of course it's irritating to have to replace the cards - I'm on my third visa number in 2 years (sigh).
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:43 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I wouldn't worry about that - many online retailers to not validate the CVN number anyway so it's basically pointless.
Others will validate it first time you use the card, but never again.
What about unscrupulous staff who work at a retailer? They can note the details from the front and back of the card, including CVN number.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
What about unscrupulous staff who work at a retailer? They can note the details from the front and back of the card, including CVN number.
even once having it used and its not me is once too many!!!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
Perhaps someone can correct me, but it was my experience that that's the point - those machines that they now carry to your table can't cope with non chip and pin cards - they don't have the ability to read the magnetic strip. Hence the need for the card to be carried off to the hinterlands. Whatever, theres no reason to obsess over this stuff. Every american credit card company I've ever dealt with has no problem about removing unauthorized charges (which is more than I can say for some UK ones). Of course it's irritating to have to replace the cards - I'm on my third visa number in 2 years (sigh).

the portable machines can read the card (in our part of the uk anyway)... best to tell the waiter it's not a chip and pin beforehand...like i said we have never had a problem. here it has been known for me to take my card and follow the waiter to where he swipes the card...i trust no-one!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:51 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to the uk in 2 days. how does it work using the credit cards over there do you need the pin number? usually I exchange money before i go but dont have any time now..
If you can get some cash (USD) before you go, you can get a pretty good exchange rate at a UK post office in many of the towns in the UK. They're not going to have thousands of pounds on hand but you'd be surprised how much they actually have.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:55 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
If you can get some cash (USD) before you go, you can get a pretty good exchange rate at a UK post office in many of the towns in the UK. They're not going to have thousands of pounds on hand but you'd be surprised how much they actually have.
only need cash for a day or so until I can access the cash I have in the UK. so I will probably use the Debit card to get a small amount.
</IMG>
Old Nov 27th 2007, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

only need cash for a day or so until I can access the cash I have in the UK. so I will probably use the Debit card to get a small amount.
</IMG>
off you go girl and safe trip
Old Nov 27th 2007, 5:12 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
And ???
I was merely pointing out that the knowing the CVN doesn't get you much as many online retailers don't validate it.
Unless I'm mistaken that's what the OP said.
Obviously they can take the number from the front of the card too - do you think you are some kind of evil-genius super-criminal for coming up with that cunning plan ??