Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

last min trip to uk

last min trip to uk

Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:22 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default last min trip to uk

I am going to the uk in 2 days. how does it work using the credit cards over there do you need the pin number? usually I exchange money before i go but dont have any time now..
Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of
Default Re: last min trip to uk

Not 100% sure on this, but I reckon you'll need a PIN to get cash from an ATM (obviously...), but will sign your name if you use your card elsewhere (as a US credit card won't have a "Chip" for the "Chip+PIN" system).
Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
I am going to the uk in 2 days. how does it work using the credit cards over there do you need the pin number? usually I exchange money before i go but dont have any time now..
Sorry Candy I can't help you because I use my UK debit and credit cards when I'm there. I just wanted to wish you a safe journey. Take care.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if this helps, but I've used my US credit card over the phone in the UK, and it works with nothing special. I think Amex, mastercard, visa are designed to work the world over.

We haven't really met I know, but I am sorry for your loss.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:03 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Candy

I've used my US debit card in the UK and I just tell them I don't have a chip on my card. They give me the slip to sign instead. I was in an ADSA once and they didn't know what to do with my card and were going to decline it but I just told them I wanted to sign as I don't have the chip and there was no problem. Also American Express is one you have to sign wherever you go and it's never been a problem. Like someone said, if you want cash at an ATM you need a PIN. I've used my US debit card with my US PIN and got cash out of an ATM no problem.

Have a nice visit to the UK

Maggie
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

have replied to your pm with the details re using debit and credit cards in the uk. have a great time and say hello to burscough for me
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:22 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be fine.
If anyone gives you any crap show them your US license and tell them they are US cards and you live there.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:58 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

-
Thanks everyone flights booked, car hire is sorted, just need to pack now. Will talk to the bank tomorrow to let them know I will be using the debit card in the uk. will try and avoid using the credit cards hate paying them back...lol
will deal with all the paperwork I have to deal with when I get back.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 11:59 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

[SIZE="5"]HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME MATEY ZE]

No pin number needed for either it goes through as credit either way.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
[SIZE="5"]HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME MATEY ZE]

No pin number needed for either it goes through as credit either way.
You do know if you use your credit card to withdraw cash from an ATM it will be charged as a cash advance (which mean you'll be racking up interest charges at a daily rate). So, if at all possible use your normal bank ATM card for cash withdrawals. Most places won't have a problem with you using your credit or debit card and signing. I have found a few places off the beaten track who have refused to accept it. I was told by Visa to tell them to run it throught the card reader and the system will tell them what to do, but I have had 2 point blank refusals. They aren't allowed to do that, but that's not much consolation when you're confronted with a sales clerk with more piercings than brain cells. Apart from cash withdrawals, you will NOT use your pin. Oh, and check when you get back - because in most restaurants now wait staff have a portable reader for the chip and pin cards, your non-chip card will be taken away for processing, which gives the unscrupulous the opportunity to get your card number (which is how I believe someone got hold of my card number and tried to bill over £300 worth of easyjet flights last time I was over). No problem with resolving that (the card company called me) but be aware.

Last edited by jenniferpa; Nov 27th 2007 at 12:47 am. Reason: Duplicate info
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:30 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
You do know if you use your credit card to withdraw cash from an ATM it will be charged as a cash advance (which mean you'll be racking up interest charges at a daily rate). So, if at all possible use your normal bank ATM card for cash withdrawals. Most places won't have a problem with you using your credit or debit card and signing. I have found a few places off the beaten track who have refused to accept it. I was told by Visa to tell them to run it throught the card reader and the system will tell them what to do, but I have had 2 point blank refusals. They aren't allowed to do that, but that's not much consolation when you're confronted with a sales clerk with more piercings than brain cells. Apart from cash withdrawals, you will NOT use your pin. Oh, and check when you get back - because in most restaurants now wait staff have a portable reader for the chip and pin cards, your non-chip card will be taken away for processing, which gives the unscrupulous the opportunity to get your card number (which is how I believe someone got hold of my card number and tried to bill over £300 worth of easyjet flights last time I was over). No problem with resolving that (the card company called me) but be aware.
I must of been lucky travelled and lived all over the world never had my card rejected if it had the visa logo on the particular establishment...personally never took money out of an ATM using a CC card, but yes with a normal check card visa logo no problem....Oh my gosh did you get your 300 back!!

Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I must of been lucky travelled and lived all over the world never had my card rejected if it had the visa logo on the particular establishment...personally never took money out of an ATM using a CC card, but yes with a normal check card visa logo no problem....Oh my gosh did you get your 300 back!!

Oh yes - my credit card company flagged it as suspicious and called me. I know one other person who had similar problems with a store refusing her non-chip and pin card. Most people will never have an issue, but there's no point in pretending it doen't happen, because it does. And actually, I think it's more likely to happen to us (expats) because we tend to go to places that aren't on the normal tourist routes. My problem shops were one petrol station and one (chain) convenience store.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:10 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
I have found a few places off the beaten track who have refused to accept it. I was told by Visa to tell them to run it throught the card reader and the system will tell them what to do, but I have had 2 point blank refusals. They aren't allowed to do that, but that's not much consolation when you're confronted with a sales clerk with more piercings than brain cells. Apart from cash withdrawals, you will NOT use your pin.
Ask for the manager and tell them you will report them to Visa or Mastercard if they refuse to accept payment. Had to do that once myself.
If they are being really awkward tell them you have no cash and so if they want paid they better swipe
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:07 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Change your money at the UK end, preferably using a UK issued debit card. If you don't have one, you could use a US issued credit card but please check the fees for foreign currency transactions.

Have a good and relaxing time in the UK.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Change your money at the UK end, preferably using a UK issued debit card. If you don't have one, you could use a US issued credit card but please check the fees for foreign currency transactions.

Have a good and relaxing time in the UK.
very expensive. use your usa debit card to withdraw cash from an ATM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.