Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Large Car Insurance Premiums

Large Car Insurance Premiums

Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Large Car Insurance Premiums

Originally Posted by Boiler
What limits?
My wife is doing allthe legwork in AZ as I am working in OR right now but I believe the limits are 100,000/300,000/50,000

Is it good?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 12:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Norri
My wife is doing allthe legwork in AZ as I am working in OR right now but I believe the limits are 100,000/300,000/50,000

Is it good?
100,000/300,000/50,000

Would you be happy if someone seriously injured you, maybe crippled you for life, and all you got was 50,000 quid?
Old Oct 9th 2007, 12:51 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

for reference mine is

250,000/ 250,000/ 250,000/

if i got in an accident and i was crippled, you certainly would not be getting away with 50k
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
for reference mine is

if i got in an accident and i was crippled, you certainly would not be getting away with 50k
Guess I got it the wrong way round, the 50 is the property figure
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:57 am
Account Closed

Guess I got it the wrong way round, the 50 is the property figure
In pounds you have GBP50,000 for one person.

Your probably had GBP10,000,000 in the UK.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I found Progressive to be the cheapest for me when I first got to the US. I was under 25 too, which didn't help matters. Many wouldn't even touch me when they found I hadn't had a US license for 3 years yet.

Funnily enough, when I got married I called to add my newly acquired wife to my policy. This actually reduced my premium and they sent me a partial refund cheque in the mail

Since I was now married that made me lower risk, and with my wife being female (obviously) she added very little to it. Still seemed bizarre to me that adding more people to my policy actually reduced the price, but I wasn't going to complain.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
for reference mine is

Just for interest was this also your level when you took out your first US policy?
Perhaps I could ask everyone for their recommendations on limits instead of just throwing up your hands in horror.
I am sure the info will be useful to other in the future.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:09 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I could ask everyone for their recommendations on limits instead of just throwing up your hands in horror.
I don't have the paperwork to hand, but it's definitely worth bumping up the limits from the legal minimum. IIRC (and I am probably getting it wrong), the property damage minimum requirement in NYS is only $10,000. The way cars are now, you could easily do that much damage in a rear-end shunt, let alone a full-on crash. I'm as tight as a gnat's chuff (and I was a first-time policyholder paying thousands for insurance) but even I paid extra to increase the limits from the minimum.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:05 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Just for interest was this also your level when you took out your first US policy?
I am sure the info will be useful to other in the future.
nope, I had the legal minimums

basically 25/25/25

owning a house and having my wife become an attorney (even if shes earning crap working for the state) can make you a nice target to have someone slam on the brakes in front of you.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

andromakhe is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Infinity. Not the greatest company, but more affordable if you have a foreign license. You might also want to take the driving test and get a license issued. The tests aren't as difficult here as in the UK. My British husband just took it and it's made a huge difference on our insurance premium.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 3:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andromakhe
Try Infinity. Not the greatest company, but more affordable if you have a foreign license. You might also want to take the driving test and get a license issued. The tests aren't as difficult here as in the UK. My British husband just took it and it's made a huge difference on our insurance premium.
Infinity has rates higher than Allstate ..according to my Insurance Agent
Old Oct 9th 2007, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

andromakhe is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, new here and hadn't read all of the thread when I replied. When we first purchased our vehicles last year, Infinity gaves us the best rate. It might be because I hold a driver's license and my husband didn't at the time. Now that he does, we are in the process of switching our insurance.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 7:28 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

But it all depends on who you are, where you are, what you drive... Infinity might have been more expensive than Allstate for Ray, but cheaper for the next man, which is why you always have to do so much buggering around. Too bad there don't seem to be any decent websites that search multiple providers at once like confused.com.

BTW, if there's a discount for AAA or AARP (you don't have to be a wrinkly to join) membership, it might be worth joining up just to get it.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 2:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
Infinity has rates higher than Allstate ..according to my Insurance Agent
Some States require rates to be pre-approved, otherwise require them to be filed.

Either way, just imagine the millions of permatations, and the chances of any Agent doing this, absolutely none.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

sangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nicesangiano is just really nice

Originally Posted by bjf
Hi. I've just moved to Charlotte, North Carolina and I have been shocked by the premiums that I am being quoted for Car Insurance. For a not at all flash car I've been quoted around $1500 for 6 months- liability only. I've been told by brokers this is because they do not recognise my foreign driving experience.
Has anyone else encountered this & found any cheaper providers?
An update on our experience that may help you. Obviously the rates for different states will be different.

For the same car and limits, full collision, comprehensive and liability insurance was quoted by Progressive as $2000/6 month using UK driving licences and about $500 less if we had Delaware licences.

Yesterday we got a quote from AIG International. They will take our UK history into account. The price, regardless of licence type was $766/6 months.

To use their insurance you have to join their Club at $400 for the year. You don't have to renew this to continue to use their insurance.

I would have thought it would definitely be worth while asking them for a quote.

If you want to e-mail me, I would be happy to send you the application form and details of where to e-mail it.