Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Landed in the "Land of the free" but I don't know where to start!

Landed in the "Land of the free" but I don't know where to start!

Old Dec 20th 2014, 1:13 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Landed in the "Land of the free" but I don't know where to start!

Originally Posted by DougyFresh

I would also very much appreciate any advise, tips, recomendation on things like, Job hunting(IT, Info Security), buying car, good school and sport activities for children (3-4) years - from Brits living in Phoenix, Glendale, Tempe...and the surrounding area.

Many thanks in advance

Doug
Mesa Police are looking for CJIS (Criminal Justice Information System) Supervisor - Security Assignment

Jobs

lots of kids activities through the local Parks and Rec depending where in the valley you are as Tempe and Glendale are opposite ends of town.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello every one,
I finally made my move and landed in Phoenix yesterday. I am very exited and happy to see my family again but thats where the excitement ends....

It's 7 am and I have been up since 4, as I couldn't sleep ( jet lagged I guess). I am posting this in a hope that someone might be able to ease my mind in regards to the hundres of things I should do to get my life back on track here in USA.
I am here on IR-1 visa, my wife and two kids (US citizens) moved back two months before me, and we are currently staying with our parents.

So, here are my most pressing questions and I opologise if these have been discussed previously.

1. Medical insurance: I really don,t know where to start with this one. I have yet to find a job, therefore I will have to pay private...any advise on where to get the most affordable one and how how to about it? My wife and kids are currently on Medicaid and I remember reading somewhere on thi forum that new immigrant have something like one month free insurance from the day they land...is that true? And how long can you go without it before you get fined? Sorry for the very basic questions but I just want to start from scract so that I can get a better understanding.

2. Green card and ssn: i did tick the box to have my ssn card processed and sent to my new USA address but also read here that you need to go a local social security office and ask for one! Any clarification would be great. As for the GC, I paid the fee online back in uk, does any one know how long it take for card to be processed and mailed please?

I will stop With the two questions, and will surely come back with more at some point in the future.

I would also very much appreciate any advise, tips, recomendation on things like, Job hunting(IT, Info Security), buying car, good school and sport activities for children (3-4) years - from Brits living in Phoenix, Glendale, Tempe...and the surrounding area.

Many thanks in advance

Doug
Land of the "FREE" Huhhhh not really.

Im blown away by your post, One month Free medical Insurance, hahahaa thts Its the first Ive heard about, Ive never had anything for Free here in my 38 years, Surely someone should have sponsored you and your family so you are not a burden on Society, it seems impossible that your wife n kids are already on Medicaid...
Old Dec 20th 2014, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56

Im blown away by your post, One month Free medical Insurance, hahahaa thts Its the first Ive heard about, Ive never had anything for Free here in my 38 years, Surely someone should have sponsored you and your family so you are not a burden on Society, it seems impossible that your wife n kids are already on Medicaid...
His wife is a USC.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
His wife is a USC.
Thanks Sally.

I always wonder why people dont do their research before getting here.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 3:15 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I always wonder why people dont do their research before getting here.
It makes it less stressful?

I research to death.
My hubby doesn't.

Guess who gets stressed.
Old Dec 20th 2014, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
His wife is a USC.
Even though his wife is a USC, I too was surprised that she and the children obtained Medicaid as soon as they arrived back in the US.

People criticise the UK for allowing easy access to benefits as soon as people set foot in the UK, but it appears the US does the same.

This particular lady would have been sponsoring her husband. She had third party sponsors since neither she nor husband had jobs in the US.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Dec 20th 2014 at 4:31 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

DougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone for all the positive advice - I will try to ignore the negative ones.

Cheers
Old Dec 21st 2014, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

DougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of lightDougyFresh is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I think you need your ssn.

Phoenix, Glendale or Tempe? Which one?
Thank you Sir_eccles,

SSN is required.

Our prefered location is north Glendale - Trying to stay a bit closer to friends and family who live in west Glendale.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
A lot of this stuff perhaps should have been researched before the move....for everything else, have a read of the wiki above, which answers a lot of your questions...and have a search, plenty of threads on them.

If you've got any specifics, people will be glad to help, but regurgitating the same old generic info might be pointless if you already know it, or if it doesn't apply.

We've no idea what kind of work you're looking for exactly, nor where exactly you are living or plan to settle in etc, which will mean school stuff won't have any real meaning if you're looking for specifics...
Sorry Bob, I should have been more specific and i was guilty for posting a not very well thought of post -judging by the few negative responses it has received.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Doug,

Your SSN should show up in the mail within a month or so. You can wait about 10 days from now, then go in person to your local SSN office to see if a number has been assigned.

Your plastic green card should also come in the mail within a month or so, but you currently have proof of your PR status in your passport anyway.

Don't forget to look into an Arizona state ID or drivers license.

Rene
Thanks Rene,

Very helpful as always.

I have already picked up the "Arizona Driver License Manual" booklet from "mvd/dmv" what ever it's called...fingers crossed i will have my drivers license by the end of the week...
Old Dec 21st 2014, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinsix
We have a WIKI on health insurance with some basic information that might help on some terms and whatnot

Health Insurance : British Expat Wiki
Fantastic,

Thank you
Old Dec 21st 2014, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AZ_Alba
Mesa Police are looking for CJIS (Criminal Justice Information System) Supervisor - Security Assignment

Jobs

lots of kids activities through the local Parks and Rec depending where in the valley you are as Tempe and Glendale are opposite ends of town.
Thank you for the link AZ_Alba,

I did apply to a similar role (Mesa City) few weeks ago and was invited to attend an evaluation/test which i could not make as i was still serving my notice period for my previous employer.

I will look into it again.

very helpful Thank you.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Jesus,

you just sound like an exiled BNP member trolling this forum looking for things to complain about!

There is nothing wrong for a USA citizen to seek initial help from the government (USA) whilst trying to find her feet - she is entitled to it and has been paying for it half of her life so far.

you will find that people like you will live a happy and meaningful life if they worry less about what other people do.

Kind and supporting words don't cost a thing.

FYI - My wife has since landed the job she wanted and the medical insurance will be sorted soon - I hope thi put your mind to rest...

stay blessed.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Even though his wife is a USC, I too was surprised that she and the children obtained Medicaid as soon as they arrived back in the US.

People criticise the UK for allowing easy access to benefits as soon as people set foot in the UK, but it appears the US does the same.

This particular lady would have been sponsoring her husband. She had third party sponsors since neither she nor husband had jobs in the US.

There is a difference between a citizen asking for benefits, and a new immigrant asking for them.

A USC returning home is not an immigrant.
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Jesus,

you just sound like an exiled BNP member trolling this forum looking for things to complain about!

There is nothing wrong for a USA citizen to seek initial help from the government (USA) whilst trying to find her feet - she is entitled to it and has been paying for it half of her life so far.

you will find that people like you will live a happy and meaningful life if they worry less about what other people do.

Kind and supporting words don't cost a thing.

FYI - My wife has since landed the job she wanted and the medical insurance will be sorted soon - I hope thi put your mind to rest...

stay blessed.

Thanks for response Dougy, sorry for the hassles I gave you.

#1 I didn't realize your wife was a USC or entitled so I do apologize, I thought you and your spouse were fresh imports and hadn't done your homework, I've reread your original post and can see I was clearly in the wrong.

#2 I usually help people but you seemed extremely green expecting free healthcare for the first month, that's laughable, I've been here since 76 and never got anything for free here ever, even when times were rough.

#3 I don't troll and look to worry and complain about others, Your "Land of the free" title just caught my eye.

#4 Good for your wife landing a job, that's great, I hope it all works out for you both.

#5 Buying a car, usually finance companies will need you to have 6 months of continuous employment history in order to get approved, chances are you will need a decent down payment and co-signers in order to get approved for a loan.

Dont expect to pay full asking price for any car from any car dealer, they always mark them up and expect to deal, its more of a wheeler dealer experience than with most dealers in the UK, Try and stay away from the Buy Here Pay Here places, they charge outragous amounts of interest and regulations for those places seem very lacking, Look for a reputable car dealer, that's the best way of buying a new or used car.

Good Luck to you and again I sincerely apologize.