British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Landed in the "Land of the free" but I don't know where to start! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/landed-land-free-but-i-dont-know-where-start-849111/)

DougyFresh Dec 18th 2014 1:40 pm

Landed in the "Land of the free" but I don't know where to start!

Hello every one,
I finally made my move and landed in Phoenix yesterday. I am very exited and happy to see my family again but thats where the excitement ends....

It's 7 am and I have been up since 4, as I couldn't sleep ( jet lagged I guess). I am posting this in a hope that someone might be able to ease my mind in regards to the hundres of things I should do to get my life back on track here in USA.
I am here on IR-1 visa, my wife and two kids (US citizens) moved back two months before me, and we are currently staying with our parents.

So, here are my most pressing questions and I opologise if these have been discussed previously.

1. Medical insurance: I really don,t know where to start with this one. I have yet to find a job, therefore I will have to pay private...any advise on where to get the most affordable one and how how to about it? My wife and kids are currently on Medicaid and I remember reading somewhere on thi forum that new immigrant have something like one month free insurance from the day they land...is that true? And how long can you go without it before you get fined? Sorry for the very basic questions but I just want to start from scract so that I can get a better understanding.

2. Green card and ssn: i did tick the box to have my ssn card processed and sent to my new USA address but also read here that you need to go a local social security office and ask for one! Any clarification would be great. As for the GC, I paid the fee online back in uk, does any one know how long it take for card to be processed and mailed please?

I will stop With the two questions, and will surely come back with more at some point in the future.

I would also very much appreciate any advise, tips, recomendation on things like, Job hunting(IT, Info Security), buying car, good school and sport activities for children (3-4) years - from Brits living in Phoenix, Glendale, Tempe...and the surrounding area.

Many thanks in advance

Doug

Pulaski Dec 18th 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Landed in the "Land of the free" but I don't know where to start!

1) healthcare.gov Act quickly and you'll get in as part of the annual enrollment process, with coverage starting 1/1/15. I have never heard of anyone getting "free" health insurance as a new immigrant.
2) Your green card should come in about 5-6 weeks. The usual advice is to wait about 10-14:days before applying for your SSN.

DougyFresh Dec 18th 2014 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11506832)
1) healthcare.gov Act quickly and you'll get in as part of the annual enrollment process, with coverage starting 1/1/15. I have never heard of anyone getting "free" health insurance as a new immigrant.
2) Your green card should come in about 5-6 weeks. The usual advice is to wait about 10-14:days before applying for your SSN.

Thanks Pulaski

will I be able to complete the entire application without any ssn at hand?

Pulaski Dec 18th 2014 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by DougyFresh (Post 11506849)
Thanks Pulaski

Will I be able to complete the entire application without any SSN at hand?

Good question. Honestly I don't know, .... I'm not sure how the process works at all. Might it be possible for you to submit an application for your family using your wife and her SSN as the "lead person"?

sir_eccles Dec 18th 2014 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by DougyFresh (Post 11506849)
Thanks Pulaski

will I be able to complete the entire application without any ssn at hand?

I think you need your ssn.

Phoenix, Glendale or Tempe? Which one?

Guindalf Dec 18th 2014 3:31 pm

Welcome to the Land Of The Free*.

* Plus shipping & handling

Sally Redux Dec 18th 2014 3:39 pm

One month's free healthcare insurance? What, to lure you in? :lol:

You don't get owt for nowt in the US.

Bob Dec 18th 2014 4:14 pm

A lot of this stuff perhaps should have been researched before the move....for everything else, have a read of the wiki above, which answers a lot of your questions...and have a search, plenty of threads on them.

If you've got any specifics, people will be glad to help, but regurgitating the same old generic info might be pointless if you already know it, or if it doesn't apply.

We've no idea what kind of work you're looking for exactly, nor where exactly you are living or plan to settle in etc, which will mean school stuff won't have any real meaning if you're looking for specifics...

Noorah101 Dec 18th 2014 4:52 pm

Doug,

Your SSN should show up in the mail within a month or so. You can wait about 10 days from now, then go in person to your local SSN office to see if a number has been assigned.

Your plastic green card should also come in the mail within a month or so, but you currently have proof of your PR status in your passport anyway.

Don't forget to look into an Arizona state ID or drivers license.

Rene

Michael Dec 18th 2014 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11506832)

Coverage starting 1/1/15 ended 12/15/14. Coverage starting 2/1/15 has to be completed by 1/15/15.

Pulaski Dec 18th 2014 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11507027)
Coverage starting 1/1/15 ended 12/15/14. Coverage starting 2/1/15 has to be completed by 1/15/15.

Ah, so that would explain why they're still running adds on the radio when I had originally thought that enrollment ended on 12/15/14.

Michael Dec 18th 2014 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11507036)
Ah, so that would explain why they're still running adds on the radio when I had originally thought that enrollment ended on 12/15/14.

That is also why people were having problems last weekend contacting the call center as all the procrastinators waited until the final weekend to sign up.:nod:

SanDiegogirl Dec 18th 2014 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11506939)
One month's free healthcare insurance? What, to lure you in? :lol:

You don't get owt for nowt in the US.

Not true ..... the OP's wife and children have only been here for 2 months and are already on Medicaid......

md95065 Dec 19th 2014 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Guindalf (Post 11506928)
Welcome to the Land Of The Free*.

* Plus shipping & handling

** Restrictions apply, not valid with any other offer, must be present to win, professional driver on closed course - do not attempt, your mileage may vary, void if copied, sold, purchased, transferred or exchanged or where prohibited or restricted by law including CA, ID, LA, ME, MN, NV, NJ, ND and TN.

penguinsix Dec 19th 2014 12:39 pm

We have a WIKI on health insurance with some basic information that might help on some terms and whatnot

Health Insurance : British Expat Wiki