Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lack of holiday - how did you adjust?

Lack of holiday - how did you adjust?

Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:31 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lack of holiday - how did you adjust?

Originally Posted by tonrob
I adjusted by going on holiday less.
but counter that by spending most of your time in London pubs and eating British curry
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

In my first job, I started off with only 2 weeks (10 days) a year. That sucked.

There are things you can do like take 4 days off during a week that has a holiday. When you consider the 2 weekends on either side, you can have 9 straight days off by using only 4 days vacation. Do this again and it can feel like you really have had 2 very long breaks.

You can also create weekends long enough to do something worthwhile by taking 1 or 2 days off adjacent to a weekend. Again consider doing this during a holiday weekend. This way you can have multiple smaller "vacations" throughout the year.

The other thing I used to do was offer to work weekends during busy periods so that I could take time off in lieu later. Your employer would have to agree to this though.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
In my first job, I started off with only 2 weeks (10 days) a year. That sucked.

There are things you can do like take 4 days off during a week that has a holiday. When you consider the 2 weekends on either side, you can have 9 straight days off by using only 4 days vacation. Do this again and it can feel like you really have had 2 very long breaks.

You can also create weekends long enough to do something worthwhile by taking 1 or 2 days off adjacent to a weekend. Again consider doing this during a holiday weekend. This way you can have multiple smaller "vacations" throughout the year.

The other thing I used to do was offer to work weekends during busy periods so that I could take time off in lieu later. Your employer would have to agree to this though.

It seems you have adopted the US way regarding holidays...ie long weekends. To most Brits and Europeans 9 days is not a long break...3 weeks is.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It seems you have adopted the US way regarding holidays...ie long weekends. To most Brits and Europeans 9 days is not a long break...3 weeks is.
Not at all. I was simply stating how I adjusted to a crappy vacation allowance which is what the OP was asking.

When my employer let me work weekends to build up extra leave, I was able to take longer breaks. Not every employer will allow that but the nature of my work did allow for it.

I now get 5 weeks (25 days) paid leave and I take up the option to purchase another 5 days off for a total of 30 days leave (this is in addition to the regular holidays).
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:24 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

We had 3 weeks off work last year to go back to England and sort visas out. My hubbys boss sent an email out saying 'while Oscar is on sabatical...'
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
We had 3 weeks off work last year to go back to England and sort visas out. My hubbys boss sent an email out saying 'while Oscar is on sabatical...'
My husband says taking more than 5 days off is frowned upon. He finds that most don't even take their full quota of holidays for the year. If you take 2 or more weeks you're lucky if you have a job to come back to.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute

As a (10 year) employee of a government organization, I receive 15 days sick leave a year, 12 1/2 days of holiday a year, and -currently- 20 days of vacation a year.

When I first began, I only received 10 days of vacation a year for the first three years. Vacation days increase each year culminating with 25 days total for employees with 15+ years. Vacation days can be rolled over to the following year(s), but only a max of 50 days can be on our books at any one time. Unlimited sick days can be accrued throughout my career and later redeemed for time credits when I retire. (In some cases, some Units have bargained for the right to cash out some of their vacation days for cash each year.)
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:30 pm

My husband says taking more than 5 days off is frowned upon. He finds that most don't even take their full quota of holidays for the year. If you take 2 or more weeks you're lucky if you have a job to come back to.
Totally agree with this, I'm lucky and as long as I take vacations around work I can have a couple of weeks, last year was definately an exception.

Hubby still works while we are on vacation, email contact at all times
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

That depends on the employer. I have many coworkers who have taken 2 or 3 weeks off at a time without any problem.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

I have been working 2 x per diem jobs for about 4 years so take all the time I can afford. When I was full time, I worked 3x12 hour shifts per week, with 4 weeks per year holiday. However, if you were canny with your scheduling, you could easily nip down to the Islands for a week without dipping into your vacation hours. Some of my FT co workers have about 8 weeks in the bank.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 12:43 am
Just Joined

Tblake1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Employers have different rules. Everyone I worked for since moving here in 94 offered four weeks leave. Plus, I never got the urge to get away like I used to in the UK. Too much to see and do at weekends, and the weather (summers at least just about everywhere) guarantee sunshine even in the NW. I think people generally enjoy their work here more as well. Just my opinion of course
Old Apr 15th 2012, 1:52 am
Banned

Imnothavinit is an unknown quantity at this point

7 weeks, 12 sick days, 2 personal days and unlimited time off available without pay.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 3:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh
Thanks all for your replies. I would stay in Edinburgh forever if the weather did not get me so down...but, no decisions yet, just thinking about a lot of things - including buying a holiday property in a warmer part of Europe.

My family is in the USA...so will always have a tie there and as I get older, I think about it more and more...I've really adjusted to the culture over here however and feel way out of sorts for the first few days when back in the USA.

If any of you who have found companies that seem to be more generous than others - please shout them out so that I can look into them.

Thanks so much.

J
The following is a list of companies in the Silicon Valley with the vacation and benefits offered.

http://www.riverbed.com/docs/Article...acestoWork.pdf
Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tblake1
Employers have different rules. Everyone I worked for since moving here in 94 offered four weeks leave. Plus, I never got the urge to get away like I used to in the UK. Too much to see and do at weekends, and the weather (summers at least just about everywhere) guarantee sunshine even in the NW. I think people generally enjoy their work here more as well. Just my opinion of course
Sounds great
Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

jenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond reputejenninedinburgh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imnothavinit
7 weeks, 12 sick days, 2 personal days and unlimited time off available without pay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.